Author Topic: Did the Coronavirus change this game?  (Read 755 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Did the Coronavirus change this game?
« on: June 25, 2023, 09:28:57 AM »
Our personal group of four started playing Carcassonne in June 2020 after the virus basically shut down personal interactions a few months earlier. We all purchased copies of Big Box 6 that was introduced in 2017 by HiG.

We all enjoy the game that is based on how the Carcassonne Empire was created in the Middle Ages.  Just about every expansion we have is C2, and the C3 tiles just draws the cities up to the tile edges.

But is seems that lately all we see are expansions that are not consistent with the Middle Ages.  For example; the Royal Gates that can connect two cities on each side of the map with some type of Star Trek Transporter, or tunnel tokens that can to the same thing with roads, or the idea of placing Bets.

Don’t get us wrong, we do love expansions: Rivers, City Gates, Water Wells, The Phantom (second meeple), Halflings, Besieged City, just to name a few.  These expansions do not move the rules outside the Middle Ages.

We will continue to monitor the forums to look for more Middle Age ideas.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6395.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I swear I have a life...just not right now
    • View Profile
Re: Did the Coronavirus change this game?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 08:49:33 AM »
But is seems that lately all we see are expansions that are not consistent with the Middle Ages.  For example; the Royal Gates that can connect two cities on each side of the map with some type of Star Trek Transporter, or tunnel tokens that can to the same thing with roads, or the idea of placing Bets.

I disagree with the idea that these aren't "mideival" as you suggest. Royal Gates is a fan expansion, firstly, and I believe it's intended to be magical in nature, and would be consistent with the Princess and the Dragon, for example. The idea behind The Tunnel is not some kind of magic portal, but rather that there is a literal tunnel, under ground, connecting those roads. As for the Bets, gambling isn't exactly a new passtime

If you want to complain about things not being mideival, look at the 20th Anniversary arrows - how are those explained in-world at all? Or how about the crop circles? Wheel of Fortune?

Online Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »

I disagree with the idea that these aren't "mideival" as you suggest. Royal Gates is a fan expansion, firstly, and I believe it's intended to be magical in nature, and would be consistent with the Princess and the Dragon, for example. The idea behind The Tunnel is not some kind of magic portal, but rather that there is a literal tunnel, under ground, connecting those roads. As for the Bets, gambling isn't exactly a new passtime

If you want to complain about things not being mideival, look at the 20th Anniversary arrows - how are those explained in-world at all? Or how about the crop circles? Wheel of Fortune?

I think it's on the player, which fan expansion he/she choose. As it was mentioned, there is a lot of gema mechanincs which are not medieval and created before 2020 (Corona quarantine)
Ordered by time of release

1. Base Game
- Water tower (mid 19 century) / Well I don't know about any expansion except fan expansions Vistas using this element in a game.

2. Expansion 3 - The Princess and the Dragon
- Dragon (Fantasy element)
- Magic portal (Fantasy element)

3. Expansion 5 - The Abbeys and the Mayor
- Roundabout (late 19 century)

4. Mini 4 - Mage and Witch
- need to mention?

5. Mini 7 - Crop Circles
- UFO is da!

So, this is still Medieval theme game. And I think a lot of fan expansion makers are following this.
And also there are a lot of fan expansions, which are not medieval, but it's fun expansions, which are more then 1000 (one thousand).

Now I'm Devil attorney -  Did you ever try COVID-19 fan expansions :D
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 10:14:16 PM »
There are several official and non-official expansions that have a distinctly medieval theme (such as Joff's medieval series, or the Plague expansion). As Bumsakalaka said, there have been non-medieval elements long before the pandemic. The next official expansion, Wonders of the World (working title, subject to change), introduces pre-medieval buildings.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 12:10:52 AM »
This has been going on a lot longer than COVID-19.

On the UK (and Ireland) Map, Plymouth is a large city, which wasn't granted city status until 1928.

Also the Darmstadtium building opened in 2008.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Change of season

Started by loki

0 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 02:21:43 PM
by loki
exclamation
BAZAARS: 2 Player Rule change: Bid Modification w/DICE !!!

Started by DOCTORawfulMD

12 Replies
Last post March 28, 2022, 02:58:01 PM
by ac1982
xx
RGG "Princess" rule change a case of wrong trsl. or established for "retheming"

Started by Hounk

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 01:30:40 AM
by Hounk
xx
WikiCarpedia - Shorter links - Change default mediawiki from index.php to ...

Started by Bumsakalaka

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2023, 04:03:21 AM
by Bumsakalaka
clip
Did you get nice score as I do?

Started by Bumsakalaka

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2020, 01:32:14 AM
by Bumsakalaka