Author Topic: The Spell Cirlces – Rules  (Read 1668 times)

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
The Spell Cirlces – Rules
« on: October 18, 2023, 08:36:00 AM »
https://wikicarpedia.com/car/The_Spell_Circles#2a._Placing_ghosts

What happens if, with the same tile, you expand and limit a mist with spell circles? You add 1 ghost from the supply to another player, 1 ghost from a spell circle to another player, 1 ghost from the supply to yourself, and the remaining ghosts in the spell circles of that mist to yourself, isn't it? The rules are not explicit on this matter.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6486.0
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 50,000+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Spell Cirlces – Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 10:31:05 AM »
Yep, they extend the same mechanics with more ghosts to distribute in both cases. If you limit and extend the mist, both cases apply and you have to proceed as you say.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 12:01:11 PM »
How many fields are on this tile? 2 or 3?

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 12:24:00 PM »
Three. The mist has no impact on feature separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 01:30:32 PM »

Translating https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Carcassonne_Order_of_Play, the following question came in my mind:

Can the dragon eat ghosts placed on spell circles? When playing with Exp. 11, but without The Spell Circles, the all ghosts placed on tiles are assigned to meeples, and the ghosts were removed as a side effect due to the meeple being eaten by the dragon. But when playing with The Spell Circles, you can have ghosts on tiles that do not have any meeples on them... what happens if the dragon lands on such a tile?

Online Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 12:53:49 AM »

Translating https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Carcassonne_Order_of_Play, the following question came in my mind:

Can the dragon eat ghosts placed on spell circles? When playing with Exp. 11, but without The Spell Circles, the all ghosts placed on tiles are assigned to meeples, and the ghosts were removed as a side effect due to the meeple being eaten by the dragon. But when playing with The Spell Circles, you can have ghosts on tiles that do not have any meeples on them... what happens if the dragon lands on such a tile?

I think nothing happened to ghosts. As there are no associated meeple, they can not leave, when it's meeple is gone.
So ghost as is is not in dragon diet plan. So ghosts placed on spell circles will be left there when dragon will visit tile with them.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 01:37:00 PM »
Here we have a dilemma:

Even if ghosts are supposed to be spirits, should be scared of the dragon?
* Should ghosts be treated like any other neutral figures in the dragon's meal plan even if not assigned to any meeple: such as the Mage, the Witch and the Gingerbread Man?
* Should ghost follow the lead of phantoms and be removed by the dragon?

Or should ghosts be the only exception as a figure defining a character (not cosidering other pieces such as bridges or tower pieces, to name a couple of them) and ignore the dragon when on the same tile?

A tile with the dragon and several ghosts can become very crowded... ;)

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 06:34:44 PM »
Before the release of the The Spell circles expansion, the following really crowded scenario was already possible: 1 regular tile with meeples + dragon + fairy + bridge + castle token + shepherd with sheep tokens + big top + ghosts + gold ingots + mage + witch.

So what harm do a little dragon and 1–4 very, very small ghosts on 1 tile?

Of course, you can replace the big top with a Burj Meeplifa with a skydiver meeple on its top, if that tile is a tile with a tower foundation, not with a circus space!
:black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 06:39:16 PM by NGC 54 »

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 03:21:58 AM »
Here my current questions concerning Spell Circles (so far - maybe more to come)

Standalone game

Question 1
The cat Eloise is standing outside the game area so her supply of ghosts is still active. I have to remove ghosts from the game so the ghost count in Eloises supply adds up to over 7. Do I still put all the ghosts into her supply?
My personal answer: yes
(argument for "no": putting every ghost over the count of 7 into the general supply would get the cat earlier into the game, which is good because we score points)

Question 2:
I place a tile with spell circles and now have to move ghosts from the vicinity into the spell circles. There are more ghosts in the vicinity than spell circles. Can I chose which ghosts to move?

Question 3
The cat is standing next to a meeple. This meeple will be buried now. What happens to the cat? Will it be moved to another meeple in the game?
("no"could be the option that the cat temporarily leaves the game and comes back with the next meeple...)

Question 4
Can I place the cat next to a meeple which already has a hound token (or even 2 hound tokens) next to it? (happens more often than you think)

Question 5
If there is a hound token and the cat standing with the same meeple who scores now, which one (hound or cat) is scored first?
My personal answer: ? ? ?
The question is: does it really matter?
To be able to answer that question the first question to answer is: how does scoring work EXACTLY for meeples with hounds
Possibility 1:
Score the meeple and move the scoring meeple on the scoring track accordingly. Then score the hound and move the scoring meeple on the scoring track accordingly.
Possibility 2:
Score the meeple, score the hound, then move the scoring meeple on the scoring track with the total amount of points.
From the rules, I read that possibility 1 is correct. (please prove me wrong if I am wrong)
That means, after the meeple scoring, the scoring meeple on the scoring track might pass another hound token, which then has to be placed into the game immediately thus removes ghosts which cannot be scored anymore by the hound token...
Therefore, to anwer the initial question, I would go for soring the hound first, because the cat only scores ghosts in spell circles which cannot be removed by a newly placed hound token. Scoring the cat first could modify the ghost count for the remaining hound token.
My personal answer: first the hound, then the cat

Question 6
Level 5 and 6
I place a cemetary tile and have to add ghosts to adjacent tiles with mists. Does this also apply for adjacent spell circle tiles with mist?

Any comments?

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 07:41:59 AM »
Here my current questions concerning Spell Circles (so far - maybe more to come)

[...]

Any comments?

Great questions. It is surprising that HiG hasn't clarified these in their rules. Especially Question 3 is tricky – the hound is lost when burying the meeple, why this would not also be the case for the cat? But somehow, it seems wrong to apply the same principle to the cat, as it is supposed to move from meeple to meeple for the reminder of the game.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Ghosts, Abbots and Spell Circles - Clarifications by Cundco - 13 03 2024

Started by Meepledrone

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2024, 04:05:15 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Spell Circles Seconds Review?

Started by chris6507

4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2023, 04:45:23 AM