Author Topic: What's up with the River in Big Box 5?  (Read 4575 times)

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
What's up with the River in Big Box 5?
« on: December 04, 2023, 01:42:32 AM »
So, years after purchasing the big box 5, i've finally got the thing out and introduced it to my 6 year old who is obsessed with Carcassone (Also finally played with the sieges mini expansion that I bought 18 years ago). One thing I got very confused about and was something I was excited about in big box 5 was the updated River expansion (with the river icon(. So I plonked it on the table with a copy of the River 2 expansion I had and started shuffling only to notice the back were the normal grey back not the darker black looking one.

Made it very obvious which tiles were the River 1 and which were the River 2. So we ended up digging out my old copy of River 1 instead.

Basically my whole speal here is to ask if anyone knows the reason for this change? Wikicardpedia just says it's Grey, with no real reason and I'm just confused as to why this was the only time it was ever done. And secondly even though i'm pretty sure I know the answer, there's no copy of the river 2 with the Light Grey background to match is there? I was so excited to get a watermarked version of the river with the sheep update, but now feel like i'm probably going to rarely ever use it as I like the branching river with River 2.

So weird!  ;D

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6546.0
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 02:11:43 AM by chris6507, Reason: Apparently calling it River 3 was not politically correct. Lol. »

Offline BBG

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with the River 3?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 01:52:11 AM »
First thing I'll do when I become emperor of the Universe is to ban everyone from calling "River 3" the river from the BB5. It's a slightly modified River I FFS, no need to give it a separate numeration! :))

Online NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
Re: What's up with the River in Big Box 5?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 05:58:47 AM »
Also finally played with the sieges mini expansion that I bought 18 years ago
You played it the first time when you reached 18 years?  :D

You mentioned a River 2. This River 2 is the one from Exp. 6 - Count, King and Robber, isn't it? My river tiles from my Lineart (the Romanian publisher) copy of Exp. 6 have light backs, not dark backs. As such, I was surprised when I was translating https://wikicarpedia.com/car/River#Contents and saw this: The River II: 12 river tiles, each with a dark back and a crown symbol.

I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 50,000+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline lr

• Duke
  • Merit: 2
  • Carcassonne player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 06:54:15 AM »
First thing I'll do when I become emperor of the Universe is to ban everyone from calling "River 3" the river from the BB5. It's a slightly modified River I FFS, no need to give it a separate numeration! :))

It's River III  >:(

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 05:46:03 AM »

It's River III  >:(

:(y)

Offline BBG

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 01:25:55 PM »
  >:(
No need to get angry, your wrath won't change the fact that it's not River III

:(y)
Aah the boomer thumb up... I guess it's settled then now  ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 01:27:27 PM by BBG »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 11:15:17 PM »

I slight modification, all those years later.  Must at least warrant River 1.1?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 10:03:20 AM »
Definitely River 3

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 02:04:17 AM »
To start, I agree on the terminology of River 3.
Mainly as there are indeed quite a few river implementations, and this is the only one with clear different features (although optional in use).
No other river version has these, which makes it stand out.

Then back to the topic:
In general, the backs of all river tiles are dark, due to these being starting tiles. However, this is not always strictly held up by all publishers. I'm not sure where you're based and which language BB5 you have, but these things can be publisher specific.
I'd have to check my BB5's to compare (but I'm travelling so don't have easy access to them).
As NGC54 mentioned, the Romanian exp 6 came with light back river 2 tiles. The Dutch first expansion came with the River 1, and the first print of that also had light backs. Even though the first release of the River 1 in NL had dark backs (a give away at an event). Later releases of the 1st expansion had the river with dark backs.

In short, unfortunately this is something that does not seem consistent across publishers or even prints by the same publisher.
I would expect that sometimes they are on light backs as the same blank tiles can be used for the entire box, but that is speculation.
The general rule is for all River tiles (and all starting tiles for that sake), to have dark backs
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 12:27:22 PM »

Same here! There is no such thing as River III, only River I BB5 version. There are more than 20 distinct River I expansions at this point, many of them more different from the original than BB5 version.

Anyway, this is not the first time River had light gray baacks either, the River included in the first dutch expansion had those.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 08:48:20 PM »
There are more than 20 distinct River I expansions at this point, many of them more different from the original than BB5 version.

Hogwash! There may be more than 20 variants, but only the BB5 version has three printed expansion features and expansion watermarks, making it entirely unique to all the others. The back being gray is an error, nothing more. The BB5 River is either River I.5 or River III, but wholly unique from I and II. I also will continue to call it The River III.

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 02:38:20 AM »
But the layout is identical, no new tiles are introduced or changed. By that line of thought, all C2 and C3 rivers are much more unique because of entirely different artwork and/or different layout for starting tile.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 02:40:51 AM by DIN0 »

Offline lr

• Duke
  • Merit: 2
  • Carcassonne player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 04:06:06 AM »
As  Whaleyland says, it's the extension functions and watermarks that make river III unique. It's not a question of illustration.

The dogs bark, but the river III continues to flow  ;D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2023, 07:11:55 AM »
There are two types of people in this world; those who refer to the River from BB5 as River 3, and those who are wrong...

When BBG becomes emperor of the universe I'm sure we will all submit to his evil bidding and call it whatever he decides it should be called, but until then it's definitely River 3.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 10:50:26 AM »
There are two types of people in this world; those who refer to the River from BB5 as River 3, and those who are wrong...
This made my day :) +1 merit
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
River / River III from Big Box 5 on the market.

Started by Paul

10 Replies
Last post September 03, 2017, 06:59:59 AM
by Paul
xx
Big Box 4 (Plus 2012) VS Big Box 5 (Plus 2014) what is the best?

Started by caincarcassonne

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 11:57:22 PM
by SRBO
xx
Big Box 5 - A New Big Box in the Netherlands

Started by SRBO

153 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 10:31:45 PM
by Paul
xx
Big Box 7: A brand new Big Box with an already long history?!

Started by Willem

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 11:49:15 AM
by Meepledrone
clip
WTS: Red Dutch Big Box 5 with the river 3

Started by The-Edge

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2022, 12:43:16 AM
by danisthirty