Poll

What is the size of your normal Carcassonne Game?

Just 2 players
20 (60.6%)
3 players
4 (12.1%)
4 players
6 (18.2%)
5 players
1 (3%)
6 players
1 (3%)
more than 6 players
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: How many players in your normal Carcassonne games?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
How many players in your normal Carcassonne games?
« on: October 01, 2022, 09:22:07 PM »
Our neighborhood game night is usually two couples, 4 players, but maybe once a month or so we invite an additional player or couple for 5 or 6 player games.  We have also purchased sets of orange, purple, and brown meeples and phantoms, so we can increase our game size up to 9 if the opportunity presents itself.

Just wondering what the normal game size is for the average player!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6101.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: How many players in your normal Carcassonne games?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 10:19:35 PM »
It's usually just my spouse and me, and we almost always play with expansions. When I get a chance to play at work, it's super variable and can range from 2 to 5 players depending on who's around at lunch. We have Big Box 6 at work, but rarely use the expansions. I did throw a spare set of Monasteries and Halflings in the box and we occasionally play with The River, but most of the other expansions just sit there because we usually only have about 45 minutes to play—extra tiles mean extra time.

carca82

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 11:12:32 PM »
Just wondering what the normal game size is for the average player!
For me it's 2. Tried to play with more people but there's too much chaos IMO and most important thing each player gets to play too few tiles (how are you supposed to build on a personal strategy with only 17/18 tiles to play? Help!  :) )

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 11:15:04 PM »
Despite me having enough carcassonne meeple sets for up to 30 players, it usually is just me and the mrs, and similar to Whaleyland, they are usually games with expansions.
Or some other twist I come up with and my partner just goes along.

But we do also have regular game days/evenings with some friends, so then we play 5-6 player games. The group is a fan of Carcassonne, and I try to bring something new every time. A new spin off, new expansion, etc.
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 11:43:33 PM »
Our “normal” game usually includes the basic big box 2017 game plus the River plus Inns and Cathedrals and/or Traders and Builders.  From there we decide as a group, over a few glasses of wine, which other expansions we will play with that night.  So, our normal game is usually played with 120 tiles or more, 30 tiles per player and the game normally takes about 2 hours.

We don’t play with a tile bag, instead each player gets a random stack of about 30 tiles.  You lift up about half your stack, then drop the bottom tile from what you picked up.  And of course you can always draw your random tile from someone else’s stack.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 12:53:11 AM »
We normally play with my in-laws (4-player games) and sometimes my brother-in-law and his fiancée join in (6-player games). Eventually my sister-in-law may join in when visiting (7-player games). However, from time to time I get to play with some frieds a 5-7+ player games.

Depending on the time available, we play with 1 or 2 base games + Inns & Cathedrals + Abbey & Mayor + The City Gates + extra tiles from King & Robber (from Exp. 6) or Hills & Sheep but no extra rules. German castles may join the party or bridges from Exp. 8 may be added too. The phantom and the abbot are always welcome. Sometimes we use the River I too.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 12:50:52 PM »
We play two. Usually all friendly expansions. This weekend we play this set. My wife won 1741:1674.
I have to say in this big game the most powerful game mechanics was:
Builder
Halflings
Obelisk
Japanese buildings and German monasteries.

Last one change final result on to my wife side, because she had 4 more then I do. So she arms more than 150 more like I do for those expansions. And I not speak about message - score the smallest monastery, when she scores maybe 4 times 30 points :)

Well she know where to get point better like I do :)

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 11:22:12 AM »
We’ve had 141 Views so far, but only 21 answers to the size of the games that most players usually play in.  Looks like a fair majority strictly play in one on one games, just 2 players. 

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 113
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 11:08:02 AM »
Back in the day we had four or five-player games when my brother’s friends came over all the time. Everyone has gone their separate ways so I don’t actually get to play anymore. The last game I played IRL was a three-player game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 01:44:40 PM »
I strongly prefer the game with 3-4 players.  The most brilliant feature of the game is that in a shared feature, both players get ALL the points.  So, the player who manages to cooperate most often will frequently win.  This unique aspect disappears completely in a 2-player game, where the final game result would be unchanged for any equal distribution of points in a shared feature.

We usually play smallish games (under 100 tiles), with a variety of house rules similar to my old city "expansion".  We especially enjoy variants for more exciting roads (like Inns), some kind of collection element (like Traders or Goldmines), and eclectic tile mixes with some fixed-wood tile topology modifications (like bridges and gates/walls).  Occasionally we add variants for occupied-feature invasion (like Fliers) or more powerful meeples (like Large meeple).

Having said all of that, a 2-player base game is a genuine treasure as well.  :-)

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I swear I have a life...just not right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 08:36:12 PM »
I like games with more players, but most games I actually get to play are just me and my partner.

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »
Base game only for the purposes of competitive tournament style play - exclusively with 2 players.
Addition of any expansions ideally 3 players.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
how many players who download the fan made tiles actually print and use them?

Started by Gerry

21 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 06:16:55 PM
by Scott
xx
Are the tiles in Carcassonne für 2 same size as normal travel version?

Started by Vesselvessel

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2019, 07:59:21 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
A normal meeple and an abbot on the same monastery

Started by Green Builder

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2023, 05:08:12 AM
by NGC 54
xx
Mega-Carcassonne how many base games