Author Topic: Another little meet up!  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Another little meet up!
« on: August 14, 2022, 06:07:10 AM »
Following the success of other meet ups, and as we all had stuff for each other, it was time for another meet up!

@unclewill , @MMike and myself met up in central London for a day of board gaming, chatting and of course exchanging stuff!

Before MMike arrived, Unclewill and i started with a nice game of Radlands.

This game is all about making an aggressive strategy towards the destruction of your opponent's bases. The cards look beautiful, and the Super Deluxe version seems like definitely the best version to get! I made a bold move near the end (the literal and figurative Nuclear option), and Will had just the right cards to punish me for it, helping him win the game!

Once MMike had arrived, we decided on a nice little starter; Art Robbery

A little game i picked up in the Netherlands last year. We played a gang of museum robbers who needed to divide their loot. You can take loot from the middle, or steal it away from others. A guard dog can help you to keep your stuff, but then again it's not a loyal dog...
I managed to play my strategy right, have enough alibis at the end of the game, and won!

We continued with a game of Carcassonne!
We found a spin off that i hadn't played in ages, and the others had not played at all; Carcassonne Mayflower (aka New World, A Carcassonne Game)

We liked the art on the tiles, which is very detailed, and the premise of trying to reach further and further west. The Surveyors managed to push us further west, although MMike managed to finish a big city all the way on the East coast (New York), which was left abandoned by Will earlier in the game.
We battled a bit over the fields, but all had in mind that they would be as powerful as the fields in normal Carcassonne. In this game they can be strong, but not as strong. Unclewill did well though, scoring over 30 points from them, moving him from last to second place! My lead was big enough, making me win my second game in a row!

The next game was a quick/relaxed game; Love Letter
I really like this game, and managed to convince the others to play. We discussed some other versions of the game, which have made me interested in trying to find out more about them!

This time, Will was relentless, and managed to win by a landslide! MMike did very well, but I had no momentum in this game so i had no change whatsoever :)

After some snacks and more chatting, we decided we needed to play a game of good 'ol Carcassonne!
Unclewill and MMike had not seen/played C3 yet, and i just happened to have brought a copy with me!
MMike being the creative artist he is, brought some hand made and 3d printed meeple sets. Including Oreo meeple, Cheese meeple and meeples with weapons inside them!
We decided to play with these sets during the game, as they looked too amazing not to!

It was a decently nice game, with not that many blocks or joins. Unclewill managed to get a 2nd meeple into a decent city, although MMike blocked that city, so it would not be completed.
I managed to sneak in a farmer into Unclewill's field, which he only managed about 4 turns later, but he did manage to block my second meeple from joining the field.
But it was not enough to win, as i had a lead just big enough to win this one

A great afternoon of games and catching up! Great to see you guys, and we'll try to do it soon again!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6053.0
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline MMike

• Vassal
  • Merit: 24
  • Where am I
    • View Profile
Re: Another little meet up!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 07:16:36 AM »
Thanks for teaching me how to play Love Letter! :D
:neutral-meeple: My Carcassonne crafts on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mp.works/ :neutral-meeple:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 05:29:08 AM »
Looks like a great meetup with some interesting games. Love Letter used to be very popular at work (although it was always the Batman edition) but I'm not familiar with the others.

Thanks for the write-up Willem! :(y)

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 06:11:37 AM »
I've never played any of the other version of Love Letter, but understand they often have slightly different rules (or better said, other effects on the cards)?
I have the standard old edition, and have played the deluxe one, but have recently learned from @Scott that the new edition has new characters again!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 06:15:32 AM »
I've never played any of the other version of Love Letter, but understand they often have slightly different rules (or better said, other effects on the cards)?
I have the standard old edition, and have played the deluxe one, but have recently learned from @Scott that the new edition has new characters again!

I've not played enough of the original edition to compare how it stacks up against Batman Love Letter, but I guess the principle mechanics should at least be consistent. I know there are quite a few different versions now (although I can't think of any of them except for Simpsons Love Letter which I can find no evidence of actually existing and am starting to think I may have played it in a dream), but I loved the idea that MMike shared on Instagram recently about a Carcassonne themed version! :o

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 113
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 07:24:11 AM »
I’ve also discovered on BGG that the Japanese creator of the game has added even more characters to his second edition. Not sure what they do and no word on when or if these will make their way to English editions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 01:42:19 AM »
Wonderful write up!  It sounds like you had an awesome day playing all the games!

Radlands looks great; and I love the play mat!

Also I love the Orero Meeple - Great stuff MMike :D

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 02:04:52 AM »
Radlands was definitely a good one! Unclewill told me they play it regularly, and it's a 2-player game, which got me interested.

the mats are part of the Super Deluxe version, which is a bit more tricky to find, but seems worth it. I'm on the hunt :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 02:27:48 AM »
Also I love the Orero Meeple - Great stuff MMike :D

I must confess, I had a scan through the pictures before reading the main text and when I saw those meeples thought "Wow! That looks just like an Oreo!"

I was most impressed when I realised that that's what they're supposed to be! :D :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 02:32:01 AM »
I did the same thing; saw the picture; thought of oreos; then read the text.

I want oreros now though  :'(

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 03:38:04 AM »
I want cheese! Lucky for me, I've got cheese in the fridge

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 04:41:21 AM »
Sounds like you're on a slippery slope of other games Willem :D

Maybe Unclewill can find time to write us up a little review.  We used to have quite regular reviews on the forum, but I've not been able to make the time recently.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 09:07:12 AM »
This meetup sounded like fun.

Don't listen to them @Willem!!! @Decar recommended me Fluxx, and now I have four versions to play according to the mood of the moment. Even ordered some expansions from the US.

After than other quick games came along too after trying them in local meetups: Take 6!, Dobble (or Spot it!), Sushi Go Party... I play them with my family and they become summer hits. ;)
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 12:14:55 PM »
Which expansions did you order?

You're going to love Essen!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 02:02:09 PM »
Which expansions did you order?

- Talk Like a Martian
- The Traitor
- Creeper Pack Expansion
- Curiosity Bonus
- Emergency Toilet Paper
- Fluxx Dice Expansion
- The Mock Turtle

You're going to love Essen!

Oh, dear! :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Low Countries meet up?

Started by Joaquim00

10 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 11:54:56 AM
by Joaquim00
xx
Nottingham meet up in Summer 2016

Started by Rich_The_Fish

33 Replies
Last post August 14, 2016, 05:18:16 PM