Author Topic: Grid mats  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
Grid mats
« on: April 24, 2022, 05:07:00 AM »
How do you ease aesthetically pleasing tile laying without using 3D printed grids? Answer is simple, a grid mat :D

At first I prepared everything manually, it didn't take that long, but all the text layers were causing an incredible load on the computer. However, after presenting the grid mats to @Meepledrone he said that the A0 format I was working on was too small for his table. So he created a script that generates a grid of arbitrary dimensions along with coordinates for which I am very grateful as it was very helpful  ;D So besides standard A0 and A1 sizes there is also 4A0 in case someone needs a really big format.

There are also versions without coordinates, but those can be helpful while creating game notation or just to simply commenting a game without points a finger  ;)

For basic design you can cut the costs by asking in print shop to print it as technical drawing, couple times cheaper than full color print, and without much difference. As you can see on photo above I've done exactly that on test print.

The grids are prepared to fit the tiles perfectly, so if you want more slack or space in the case of sleeved tiles, ask the print shop to print at 100.5% :)

Based on new Big Box aesthetics, I've also prepared fancy and simple C3 versions.

Grid mats available in download section.
Enjoy! :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5905.0
Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
Re: Grid mats
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 05:19:00 AM »
This is really amazing and useful! They also look much prettier than I would expect for a tile grid  :) Definitelly great for game notation, I'll certainly give it a try!
+1 merit

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 11:41:24 AM »
What does the notation for halflings and double tiles is it?
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 45,600+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 01:29:56 PM »

Whoo. Very interesting question. Problem is, that you need somehow to use unique code for each tile. Which is quite not simple. We know that FFFF can be Monastery tile, pig-herd tile, bazaar tile, catapul tile, ... etc

But back to your question:
I think it can be used that ID of double card with coordinates for most top left corner and rotation of tile in degrees?
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 02:32:45 PM »
That is a good option...

* Double-sized tiles: coordinates of top leftmost space occupied by the tile and rotation. All the double-sized tiles should be coded in an horizontal position (top long edge parts left and right, right edge, bottom long edge parts right and left -following the clockwise order, left edge), for example, to manage them all the same way.
* Halfings: usual coordinates as for any square tile and rotation. Halfing tiles are coded in clockwise order starting with the long side, as seen here:

Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 12:35:43 AM »
Well, general notation won't be out for a long time, but I can give you a heads up: 1) Halflings are dealth with strating with the long side (the way Meepledrone posted his diagram) and you also write the orientation based on it (meaning it will always be a combination of two cardinal directions in this case - NE, SW etc.). 2) Double tiles work exactly like single tiles, strating with the city segment because it is first alphabetically.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 12:39:44 AM by DIN0 »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 01:22:45 AM »
And what about these tiles:
Same FRC code but different setup which have effect to Farmers and Wagon Move C1.

and [size=78%]
Another tiles same FCC but one one is two cities and on second one city and on one is extra shield
and  and[/size]

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 01:39:04 AM »
The second FRC tile you were referring to was this one, right?

As we discussed some time ago, we need an extended notation to reflect the internal configuration of the tiles beyond its edges... We may need to pick up where the discussion in this topic left off:

https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4350.0

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 04:49:24 PM »
No need to worry, I have all of that settled..., but the completion of extended notation (aka general notation, aka project 1B) is not my first priority right now. Project 2 is way more important and much more needed, and even that is at least a year away. So patience will  be a virtue  :yellow-meeple:

But as a "teaser" I can of course answer the original question :) The difference between the two frc halflings would be FR//C and FR/C
For the fcc tiles it would be FCC and FCc+
If there would be sufficient interest, I might release a shorter document explaining the extended tile reference, since that part of the project is 100% complete, but it wouldn't be the full notation.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 04:58:34 PM by DIN0 »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 06:09:50 AM »
I know your notations FCc FCc+ etc.
Problem with this is tile CCcc which can be small city with 3 edges city or two cities one NS and second WE.

So I was playing year a go with
C1C2C1C2 or C1C2C2C2
This can solve edges recognition but it's abosulutely against UX

Solution can be
CCc1c2 or CCc2c2 where small letter contains number to which large letter belongs.

There is also simplification that if small letter belongs to previous large letter or previous l lette then number will be skipped so second will be just CCcc because all small c belongs to C after which they are.

Also possible when FfRr or FRFr simple straight road. Last r is continue of Road R

FRrr roundabout road
RRr1r2 two straight road which cross by bridge
RrRr for two roads not cross
Etc
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 06:15:02 AM by Bumsakalaka »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 07:10:25 AM »
It seems @DIN0's Project 1B has a growing demand... O0

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 07:12:40 AM »
The way to specify which edges of continouse features are connected, I add apostrophe to the second one. So for example the two cities bridging over each other from Exp. 5 are CC'cc'. The Cc combination is one city, C'c' is another. It is less distracting than numbers and you only ever have a maximum of two city segments with more than one edge.
Likewise, the two roads going above each other with a bridge would be noted as RR'rr'.

It seems @DIN0's Project 1B has a growing demand... O0
Hmm... maybe I will have to release a part of it after all  ::)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:14:54 AM by DIN0 »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 10:51:39 AM »
That ' is great idea and better than numbers. Indeed. And as you said there can be just two feature withiltiple edges.
But what about S&H divided city? There is city divided to two segments :)

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Sliding Puzzle 5x5 Grid Fun!

Started by Paul

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 12:05:45 AM
by Paul
xx
Inked Gaming (was: Playmats by Mythic Mats)

Started by jungleboy

15 Replies
Last post April 08, 2016, 01:24:54 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Game mats - what size?

Started by CarcinFool

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2016, 06:59:22 PM
by CarcinFool