Author Topic: Epic 'final' game of Carcassonne  (Read 3171 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Epic 'final' game of Carcassonne
« on: January 01, 2017, 02:34:30 AM »
Yesterday afternoon I had my last games session with my friend Aimé before I move to a new country on Friday. We played Indigo (with junglegirl too), Carcassonne: the Castle (with Falcon expansion!), Istanbul, Lost Cities, and symbolically ended with Carcassonne, since that's what we've played the most over the last 3-4 years since we started playing games together.

The Carcassonne game featured Traders & Builders, the Tower, German castles, the Spielbox halflings and the phantom, and this was an epic game. Aimé (black) led by as many as 52 points at one stage (it's so easy to pile up the points early on with the bonus points from the features connected to the German castles and with the phantom) but I fought back to get the scores even during the last quarter of the game and then it came down to the huge farm. I originally had two meeples to her none, but one of them was kidnapped by the tower. She managed to get three in at one stage but I kidnapped two of them. Eventually we tied it and it came down to the other, smaller end-game scoring points. She won two of the three trade goods which I guess was the difference in the end and she won by four points. Regardless, it was a really great game to finish off our Carcassonne rivalry - for now.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3051.0

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
Re: Epic 'final' game of Carcassonne
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »
Looks like a really fun game! What I find remarkable is that all the halflings are used in a rather positive way. When our gamegroup plays with them, it's pure blocking carnage..

Good luck with the moving!
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »
Looks like a really fun game! What I find remarkable is that all the halflings are used in a rather positive way. When our gamegroup plays with them, it's pure blocking carnage..

Our games are like that too.  Although I really like black's use of the halfling in the upper right corner to join the farm.  That particular halfling has won quite a few games for me and my son. 

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:18:43 AM »

I really like halflings though to be honest I'm quite bad at incorporating them into my strategy. I always think I've trapped someone's meeple only for them to pull out a halfling to get out of it. We never even consider using them as blocking, only to recover from blocking. I guess we're both always thinking about saving our halflings for when we need them, rather than using them offensively.

Although I really like black's use of the halfling in the upper right corner to join the farm.  That particular halfling has won quite a few games for me and my son. 

Yeah that was a key move that came right at the death, with about 5-10 tiles left. It looked like it had secured the farm for black until I captured two other farmers with the tower to tie the farm. And then I had a chance to win the farm and the game by adding a farmer in the bottom left with my last tile if I drew a RFRF, RRRF or FFFX tile, but alas it was not to be.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
EPIC: Castles (Exp. 8) and cemeteries (Exp. 11)

Started by NGC 54

13 Replies
Last post December 17, 2022, 08:49:26 AM
by NGC 54
clip
Tiny Epic Quest Meeples

Started by franks

6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 01:34:02 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
The Count of Carcassonne - Final redeploying