Author Topic: 2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage  (Read 61196 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »
Christmas Card List 2015
  • Rosco
  • Guy
  • Everyone else
Christmas is getting cheaper... ;)
Hi danisthirty,
I like to get a Christmas Card from you this year.  ;D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2015, 10:18:27 AM »
I guess I won't be sparring with Merlin_89 for my next match, so if anyone has time for a practice match against me at some point this week I could use the experience!

I'll play against you tonight if you're available as a thank you for last night's games. 8:30 UK / 9:30 CET?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »
I guess I won't be sparring with Merlin_89 for my next match, so if anyone has time for a practice match against me at some point this week I could use the experience!

I'll play against you tonight if you're available as a thank you for last night's games. 8:30 UK / 9:30 CET?

Thanks! I've just posted on the Play me now thread for some more 4-player basic game action. I guess we'll see what happens...

Offline zone2

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2015, 11:21:12 AM »

my favorite in the finals will Merlin_89 O0 :(y)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2015, 06:37:54 AM »
Congrats to both danisthirty and Merlin_89 for reaching the final!  Also very good job done by the other semi-finalists!

Now, something REALLY interesting happened regarding the Elo ratings.

Danisthirty has gained 12 pts for his win against MrsNumbers (1314 + 12 = 1326)

Merlin_89 got 14 pts for his victory vs. Farin 1312 + 14 = 1326)

That means they are tie in 3rd place overall with the same Elo rating!

Since the main purpose of Elo rating is to serve as predictor for the outcome of the next match... I announce that the result should be... unpredictable. It can go either way. Great, thanks Mr. Elo! :)

And that's not everything. The World Champion will be awarded 15 pts for winning the final match and reach a rating of 1341, which will be just enough to steal the first place overall, ONLY 1 point ahead of the current leader zone2 (1340). Wow!

Sincerely good luck to both of you!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2015, 06:57:49 AM »
Thanks for this Jéré. I was a little concerned that there wasn’t quite enough pressure on Merlin_89 and myself already, so it’s reassuring to know that we’ll be playing this immensely complicated final not only for the title but for the #1 slot in the Elo ranking too. :o It will be a fantastic way to end the year for one of us anyway (and a large therapy bill for the other)...

In all seriousness though, I like that we’re evenly matched with regards to Elo scores and I’m looking forward to the game. Perhaps we should have taken bets? ;)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »
Yep, the winner takes it all!  :o Absolutely no pressure.   >:D

I'll stick with Mr. Elo's prediction and flip a coin. :D

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »
It sounds interesting and equally crazy... Winner takes it all!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »
Merlin_89 and danisthirty - I wish you both good luck in your final game.

Offline farin

• Duke
  • Merit: 44
  • JCloisterZone maintainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2015, 06:01:01 AM »
congrats Merlin_89 and thx for a report. It was really interesting game.

(i was quity busy and didn't get here earlier)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »
So the World Cup final is tonight? What channel is it on?  :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »
So the World Cup final is tonight? What channel is it on?  :(y)

It's on Sky Sports 1, but it's pay per view. You can Paypal me £20 for a ticket if you want to watch? ;)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »
Hey, Congratulations to the both of you making it to the finals. I bet it will be an epic battle of wills, wits and luck!
Can't wait to see the outcome!  :(y)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
Here we are... Dan and me played the gruelling FINAL - POLAND VS. UNITED KINGDOM!

And the score is:  :yellow-meeple: Merlin_89 495-392 Danisthirty  :blue-meeple:

I haven't expected that it could be so tiring, but after all we played for almost 3 hours. As you can see, my advantage over Dan is solid... and it was throughout whole game.

Dan had small moment of leading after first tiles... and it was it. I finished one city, than another one... As you can imagine tower heplped here and there, and Dan couldn't do anything with it. I got loads of good tiles, and Dan... well, he was not happy about his. I have been agressively scoring, but also managed to get few of Dan's meeples blocked.

He started his barn farm first, (by doing so, he scored field for me), and for some time placement of that farm was not looking good, like it had no further prospect. Dan had to really scramble but he revitalised it, and he did wonders to expand it. At the same point my barn prospect was nonexistent. I had a good looking farm, but for a long time I had no chance to place barn there (Dan sought to that). It took some time and specific tile to get it there... When it happened, I knew that with solid advantage, good barn field, nothing bad could take place.

With 52 tiles remaing, score was: 266-133. I had twice as many points... I relaxed and tried more passive game, focused on controlling things (and reducing Dan's chances to score by his own). Somehow, last 20-30 tiles, and Dan's city with cathedra started to look promising, I had thought it couldn't be completed, but Dan saw his chances there. But I got tiles and managed to connect to it with 2 meeples (Dan shot one with tower). I could relax once more.

Dan, Congratulations! Good job for reaching The Final. You've been great opponent and friend at the same time. You helped me so much, at the beginning of Knock-Outs by playing friendly matches with me. Also Hounk! You were magnificent opponent during friendlies... and you're the only person who bested me in this World Cup.

Great kudos to whole CarcassonneCentral and JCloister team! You've made great place to play Carcassonne!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:45:56 AM by Merlin_89 »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
Congrats Merlin, you certainly deserved the win. And I'm glad you enjoyed the competition. :(y)

This was a bit of an ugly game for me. I don't really know what went so wrong, but the game was won within the first 50 tiles and the remaining 120 or so were basically just a lap of honour for Merlin.

I didn't seem to be able to complete anything in the first third of the game. Anything at all. Merlin certainly wasn't experiencing the same difficulties though, and almost every effort I made to slow him down failed, even when the odds seemed stacked against him. From 25 - 25 he began to build a lead which just grew larger and larger, and didn't slow down until he was over 100 points ahead of me! Obviously this wasn't entirely down to bad luck on my part, and I wouldn't want to take anything away from Merlin as he played an awesome game and demonstrated an excellent knowledge of every part of every expansion we played with. But after having the stuffing kicked out of me so ferociously in the early stages, I didn't feel like I was putting up much of a fight. Apart from having some good luck extending my barn farm to a decent size, I simply couldn't generate enough points to keep myself in the game...

After rallying a little, my hope was that I could salvage some pride by keeping Merlin's win to less than 100 points. Nope! :(

Congratulations again Merlin, perhaps we can have an unofficial rematch the next time we both have almost 3 hours to spare?!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:16:22 AM by danisthirty »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
2016 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 01:59:24 AM
by Jéré
clip
2017 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage

Started by MrNumbers

121 Replies
Last post May 23, 2018, 02:54:30 AM