Author Topic: I love the postman...  (Read 1159472 times)

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: I love the postman...
« Reply #3360 on: June 24, 2022, 01:48:00 PM »
Today's loot!

Postcard version of the Dame Carcas legend, which I ordered at the same time as the puzzle but it came from a different place that took longer.
Carcassonne snow globe because @Willem showed me the one he bought and I wanted one too.
1 ECU (European currency unit) coin issued by the Carcassonne Chamber of Commerce in 1992 (before the name of the currency was changed to Euro)

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3361 on: June 27, 2022, 12:17:41 PM »
More coins today. These are a few millimeters smaller than the others because they come from a different mint (Patrimonie Mondial). What’s interesting about this mint is that one side of the coin is colourized. Each design comes in gold or silver plating (over an iron base), for a total of 21 distinct coins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: June 27, 2022, 12:33:51 PM »
Oooooh! Nice!!!!
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
I love the postman...
« Reply #3363 on: June 27, 2022, 05:21:14 PM »
Eugène Viollet-le-Duc was a French architect who restored many medieval landmarks in France which had been damaged during the French Revolution. In Carcassonne, the tops of the towers were gone, and various modern structures had been built on the city walls for defensive purposes. He rebuilt the roofs and demolished the added structures to restore the city walls to their 1355 condition. He also wrote a book on the history of the city and its fortifications.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18940/18940-h/18940-h.htm

You can also see in this photo how I’m protecting my coin collection: with plastic capsules.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:09:15 PM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3364 on: June 28, 2022, 11:34:19 AM »
Someone on Discord found this cool map of the city and now it’s mine.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: June 28, 2022, 12:19:07 PM »
Very interesting map!

And it seems to include the Dame Carcas story in all the languages listed....  :o

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3366 on: June 28, 2022, 05:47:15 PM »
Very interesting map!

And it seems to include the Dame Carcas story in all the languages listed....  :o

Yes, both the history and legend are included in all languages.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: June 29, 2022, 12:14:18 AM »
So the other side of the map is full of text then...

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3368 on: June 29, 2022, 02:50:46 AM »
It's been a bit quiet here from my end!  :o

Last week I got to travel a little bit for work, which brought me to Spain! Even though i was only there for 1 night, i managed to squeeze in a mini-meetup with the one and only @Meepledrone !
It was great fun to catch up, have some drinks and talk about Carcassonne for hours!

Of course i couldn't go home emptyhanded, as Meepledrone is notorious for spending my money on Carcassonne boxes i don't have yet.
So he brought goodies with him, which i was more than happy to try and stuff in my carry on!

Most notably to call out are the French Catapult, the French Base Game in the top left (which was a box i hadn't seen before!), and the 2 mini-fanexpansions from Carcassonne Spain for the 2022 tournament!

Then a few days ago, none other than @MMike pointed me in the direction of this magazine:

This is the UK based TableTop Gaming Magazine, who did a Carcassonne cover for their October 2020 edition, for the 20th anniversary of the game. The magazine includes a 4 page article about the game, 2.5 pages about the current major expansions and a little piece about The Book of Carcassonne!
They did 2 versions of this magazine; this one is the Subscriber only cover; the 'normal' version is very similar, only having more text on the front :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3369 on: June 29, 2022, 02:59:01 AM »
And i kid you not, but literally within 3 minutes of me posting the previous post, the postman knocked on the door again!

A few nice additions, in the Nordic version of the C2 Exp. 3, and The Castle from RGG! I'm a happy bunny today

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: June 29, 2022, 04:26:46 AM »
Ha ha ha!

The postman was missing you!

You know expending your money makes me equally happy...  ;D

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3371 on: June 29, 2022, 07:04:07 AM »
Interesting how the Nordic box is in English.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3372 on: June 29, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »
During the First World War, gold and silver became so valuable that the French citizens started hoarding coins which were still being made from gold and silver at that time. This made it difficult for merchants to give change to customers who would only pay in banknotes. The Paris Chamber of Commerce pleaded with the National Bank to allow them to issue emergency currency, and this request was granted. The Chambers of Commerce in other cities and towns followed suit, and in 1914 the Carcassonne Chamber of Commerce sent 600,000 francs to the National Bank, allowing them to issue an equivalent value of smaller denomination currency. They issued 50-cent and 1-franc banknotes. Another 400,000 francs were sent in 1917, and another series of banknotes were issued in 50-cent and 1-franc denominations. Also in 1917, they issued 5-cent, 10-cent, and 25-cent coins. Even after the war, the two more series of banknotes were issued in 1920 and 1922 at a value of 900,000 francs and 500,000 francs respectively. These banknotes were legal tender among the merchants in their respective cities, and could be exchanged for official currency if you collected enough of them.

Pictured below are a 10-cent coin, 25-cent coin, and 50-cent note. The value of the coins is printed on the other side. The 5-cent coin is also round but slightly smaller. The coins are made from aluminum and VERY thin; each weighs about a gram.

The banknote is from the 1922 issue. The 1-franc note was the same colour (both sides). The 1920 notes were blue/brown and orange/brown, the 1917 notes were red and blue (both sides), and the 1914 notes were brown/orange. (Slashes mean first colour on face, second colour on back.) The 1914 notes feature the cityscape on the back, and all subsequent notes feature the Aude gate design shown here.

I have the other notes on the way, as well as the 5-cent coin. I will share more photos when they arrive.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3373 on: June 30, 2022, 12:19:13 PM »
Haven't heard confirmation from ZMG that their C3 base game is out yet. I remember when i ordered the ZMG BB7 i asked the shop if they had any idea about the base game, and they said they had no idea yet.

A few days ago i was ordering some stuff online, and noticed a listing for the Carcassonne base game. It had it before, but with both C3 and C2 box art, so that was probably old C2 stock.
Now the pictures were all updated to be C3, so i figured i'd take a gamble....

Today i received the parcel, and there it is!

ZMG have made a thing!

Offline The-Edge

• Duke
  • Merit: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: June 30, 2022, 01:52:22 PM »
Im curious when they gonna release the dutch C3 basegame
To meeple or not to meeple, that's the question

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Love Letter & Love Letter Premium (Comparison)

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
by Willem
xx
I hate the postman..

Started by dirk2112

41 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 12:19:08 PM
by SRBO
clip
Can your postman dig a hole through the Earth to make Cundco shipping cheaper?

Started by Whaleyland

8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 12:03:13 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Whilst I don't blame the postman, I object to his employers' business practices

Started by danisthirty

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 01:34:47 AM
by Paul
xx
HiG twitter - The Worms love Meeple-Apple