Author Topic: Print actual PnP Carcassonne tiles for personal use  (Read 821 times)

Offline BBG

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Print actual PnP Carcassonne tiles for personal use
« on: November 04, 2023, 02:13:02 AM »
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have no idea how to look for this info.

As per title, is it illegal to use online professional online services to print Carcassonne tiles for the sole purpose of personal use? I'd like to throw away all my "print-and-play" expansions (that I despise in their current form, that is adesive paper on a blank tile, it's terrible and I hate it) and have them in a "real" form, so that they are not immediately recognizable in a stack. I'm talking about the fortune teller, the city gates and easter in carcassonne.

A follow up question: is it illegal to use same kind of service to create custom expansion, again for the sole purpose of personal use?
Do I have to ask for permission? If so, to whom? The german publisher? The one from my country? Klaus-Jürgen Wrede himself?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6508.0

Offline Maiday

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Print actual PnP Carcassonne tiles for personal use
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 02:32:42 AM »
As far as I'm aware you are allowed to print them any way you want you just aren't allowed to sell them (even for the just the cost of the blank tiles used)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 03:25:17 AM »
You can create and print tiles for personal use the way you like. HiG allows us to do so reusing graphics from existing tiles. You cannot publicly share original raw materials in high resolution. You are not allowed to sell fan expansions.

You may share your creations on the forum except for Star Wars, due to copyright issues with Disney.

If you add 3rd party graphics, it also recommended that you have wrtten permission from the author in order to avoid future issues. Another option is using copyleft materials.

If your work is based on a previous fan-made expansion (rework, new version, conversion to another edition), you should contact the original author and get their writtem permission. Most cases, the author may be delighted. Only a few may not and you should respect their decision.

Hope this helps.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 10:48:23 AM »
The only problem that we have found with the Carcassonne – Blank-Sheet tiles from cundco is the white paper on top of the tiles.  We use a sharp blade to cut a shallow X in the center of each tile and carefully peel off the white paper before pasting the Sticker Project Paper on the cundo tile.

When you leave the white paper on the tiles, you can see the thin white lines on the sides of the fan tiles when you have your unused tiles in inverted stacks.
Totally addicted to this game

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Looking for PNP Base Game, to print BIG

Started by Le Merlin Fou

4 Replies
Last post October 12, 2022, 02:33:51 AM
by Decar
question
how many players who download the fan made tiles actually print and use them?

Started by Gerry

21 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 06:16:55 PM
by Scott
xx
Actual 'Carcassonne' Table

Started by PurpleMeeple

9 Replies
Last post January 19, 2021, 11:11:03 AM
by PurpleMeeple
xx
Easter in Carcassonne PnP - Points after the game and how many eggs?

Started by corinthiens13

17 Replies
Last post March 21, 2021, 01:12:18 PM
by corinthiens13
xx
The Land Surveyors - PnP official expansion

Started by Bumsakalaka

26 Replies
Last post October 19, 2021, 12:17:34 PM
by NGC 54