Carc Central Community > Strategy Guide

Tips for a 4-player Basic Game

<< < (3/3)

danisthirty:
Thanks for the feedback Carcking. I know what you mean about these tips seeming fairly obvious but I’ve found them to be surprisingly effective by trying to incorporate everything here into the 4-player games I’ve played recently against AI opponents.

jungleboy:
Thanks again for the tips Dan. I agree with all your points, including the 'controversial' one about blocking. Especially when you're talking about a large developing city - the points from a large incomplete city are still often the highest-scoring single feature in a 4-player base game, so while blocking is good if it prevents completion of the city, there's still a lot of value for the controlling player even if the city cannot be completed.

--- Quote from: danisthirty on September 16, 2014, 03:07:04 AM ---2) "The early farmer wins the field"

[Removed five pages of Dan's thesis]

This tip can be summarised in two words: "farm early".

--- End quote ---

To this one I'd like to add that farming early might be a good idea but that farming often might not be. It depends on each individual game, of course, but in a 4-player game there are often many incomplete cities and in the AI games I play, sometimes the biggest farm is only worth 12 or even 9 points. So if you needed to use three farmers to win it, that's not really worth it unless you placed them very late in the game. If you do happen to place a farmer or two in the same farm early on, a good idea can be to strategically place tiles that contain two city segments into your farm, should you happen to draw them (there are 5 in the base game).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version