Author Topic: Sheep & Hills question - the end tile  (Read 14940 times)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Sheep & Hills question - the end tile
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
Question for HiG: If a player draws a Hill as the last tile is he allowed to place it without putting a tile under it? Or, does not having a tile under it bar him from placing the tile?

(blue dog)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=900.0
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Sheep & Hills question - the end tile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »
Question for HiG: If a player draws a Hill as the last tile is he allowed to place it without putting a tile under it? Or, does not having a tile under it bar him from placing the tile?
(blue dog)
Excellent question. I second it! It actually happened the first time we played with the expansion, and I didn't even think of it as being a possible rules problem. lol

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »
(blue dog)
Excellent question. I second it! It actually happened the first time we played with the expansion, and I didn't even think of it as being a possible rules problem. lol

I am guessing it will be the same as for bazaars. If you cannot draw the tiles needed for the feature then the feature is ignored,

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:54:13 AM »
I was thinking the Hill feature is impotent if it's on the last tile. I can't think of a case where you could play it so that its tie-breaker power would be relevant.

My question is to the mechanics of placing the tile. Can it be placed if it cannot be placed in the prescribed way. That could have an impact on someone losing out on the tile.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »
I can't think of a case where you could play it so that its tie-breaker power would be relevant.

That's my thoughts exactly!
As for second part, IMO you can place that tile as usual tile. Nothing could stop you from doing so, it won't break the course of the game.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
I was thinking the Hill feature is impotent if it's on the last tile. I can't think of a case where you could play it so that its tie-breaker power would be relevant.

It could be important to know if the tiebreaker applies if you are playing with The Count expansion?

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
I think that the tile can be placed, but you do not get the bonus for the area overhead.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »

It could be important to know if the tiebreaker applies if you are playing with The Count expansion?

It is an interesting question regardless of "the last tile" thing. Before that it wasn't important on which tile you "parachute" from CoC, but now the things are changed.
Does the follower from CoC have the right to choose the tile to land to, that's the real question!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:32:28 PM »

Excellent JT. Merit for you for coming up with that one! That would definitely apply as the player from The City may choose any tile of the feature to land on. So it totally matters if the tile may be placed legally if there is not another tile to put under it.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:54:18 PM »
The other situation that it might matter is if you "flee from the plague" on to this tile. Though personally I think that is quite a broken game mechanic anyway when used with other expansions so I tend not to play it.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
It is an interesting question regardless of "the last tile" thing. Before that it wasn't important on which tile you "parachute" from CoC, but now the things are changed.
Does the follower from CoC have the right to choose the tile to land to, that's the real question!

This can also matter if playing with the fairy and using the RGG rules that the fairy affects a whole tile, not just a follower.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 01:02:18 AM »
We've opened up a can of stinky sardines! Fleeing farmers, parachuting followers, empty bags of tiles! How about Magic Portals? I assume you can teleport to features with hills if it's unclaimed. Ugh. Hans im Glück has indeed miscalculated our devotion to rules clarity.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »
The other situation that it might matter is if you "flee from the plague" on to this tile. Though personally I think that is quite a broken game mechanic anyway when used with other expansions so I tend not to play it.

I thought of this too, but thought it too obscure...and HiG will never address this.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
If you still have your abbey tile, you could put it under the hill, but other than that I would suspect you can't place the tile. These are serious questions that require serious answers.

I'm also curious about this empty bag of tiles that whaleyland mentioned. How is it a bag of tiles if the bag is empty? We may never know.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
I'm also curious about this empty bag of tiles that whaleyland mentioned. How is it a bag of tiles if the bag is empty? We may never know.
C:-)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Sheep & Hills - question regarding Hills

Started by Carcking

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 08:58:14 PM
by Scott
xx
The Barbarian Report: Drunken Sheep Over Hill and Dale (Sheep & Hills Review)

Started by Whaleyland

9 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 12:05:33 PM
by obervet
xx
Hills and Sheep tile design question

Started by mPony

15 Replies
Last post April 21, 2017, 10:44:40 PM
by ny1050220
xx
Hills & Sheep question