Author Topic: New Carcassonne App for Android  (Read 68007 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: New Carcassonne App for Android
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »
@rfielder - you should be able to add the expansions from the "store" which should be on the front page of the app as per the (cropped) screenshot below:

I have noticed on several occasion recently though that this seems to disappear within a few seconds of appearing!

@exozet - I occasionally play the 7cities Carcassonne app purely so that I can play people online. It doesn't seem to be particularly low-profile though, and the Facebook app (presumably by the same people) isn't hard to find either so I'm surprised to learn it's an illegal version. Is anything being done to stop it?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:13:48 PM by danisthirty »

Offline exozet

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 01:32:02 AM »
@exozet - I occasionally play the 7cities Carcassonne app purely so that I can play people online. It doesn't seem to be particularly low-profile though, and the Facebook app (presumably by the same people) isn't hard to find either so I'm surprised to learn it's an illegal version. Is anything being done to stop it?

Yes, we have contacted Google about it and requested to take it down which will hopefully happen soon.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 01:44:58 AM »
Hi exozet,

at the German Carcassonne-Forum, we have also a discussion about this new update for the Android App...

Here is the link:
Neue Version der Android-App

At the Carcassonne-Forum we speak mostly in German.  ;D

Greetings
kettlefish
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:54:29 AM by kettlefish »

Offline oldsmash000

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »
I recently learned about Carcassonne and even more recently purchased EXOZET's version off of the Google Play store so that I can play Carcassonne on my Nexus 7 Tablet (Android OS).  Whenever I complete one game, I have to close the program entirely to start a new one, because if I don't exit the program entirely, after a new game loads up, the leaderboard appears over my new game with no other option except 'main menu'.  Is something appearing off screen?  Is there a secret swipe to get past this?  Can I disable the leaderboard screen after a completed game?

Thanks in advance!

Offline exozet

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 03:42:58 AM »
I recently learned about Carcassonne and even more recently purchased EXOZET's version off of the Google Play store so that I can play Carcassonne on my Nexus 7 Tablet (Android OS).  Whenever I complete one game, I have to close the program entirely to start a new one, because if I don't exit the program entirely, after a new game loads up, the leaderboard appears over my new game with no other option except 'main menu'.  Is something appearing off screen?  Is there a secret swipe to get past this?  Can I disable the leaderboard screen after a completed game?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

This bug has been fixed in our latest version. Have you updated your app?

Best
Marc

Offline oldsmash000

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
Yes, it works now.  Thank you for the fix and fast response.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 08:20:48 AM »
I finally decided to pay for the expansions last night. It wasn't a huge amount of money and I was playing the basic game half to death anyway so I figured it was probably worth it.

Overall, I do like how all of the expansions have been implemented although I noticed a couple of glitches which I've described below:

1) You can't place the builder on any city or road that is shared with another player, even if you also have one of your own followers in that feature. The same is true for the pig and fields. Based on the CAR and my understanding of the rules, I believe it should be possible to place either figure in an occupied feature (cities or roads for the builder, farms for the pig) provided that at least one of those occupants belongs to you, regardless of any other occupants.

2) If the inclusion of the Crop Circles tiles forces you to remove a follower from a city or a road in which you've also already placed the builder, and you don't have any meeples left in that city or road after you have done so, the builder should also be removed. I believe this is what happens presently as the builder appears to be available again immediately afterwards, but it looks from the map as though he is still in the vacated feature (hence that you can end up with two or more of the same colour builder on the map at any time). So it would seem this is merely a graphical fix as the map needs to be updated to show that the builder has been removed. The same is true for the pig.

3) The AI hasn't been adapted to allow for the different tactics that come into play when certain expansions are used. This isn't necessarily a bug as such, but it does undermine the "intelligence" of the AI players when they go to such enormous lengths to avoid generating points for another player by completing their cities even when they would win substantial trade goods by doing so. As such this is more of an observation than a glitch.

Has anybody else noticed any other bugs/ glitches? I thought maybe we could work with exozet by maintaining a list here for exozet to be aware of and consider for future updates.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 06:07:37 AM »
A few more observations:

Inns & Cathedrals
- There is an ffrr (corner road) tile with an inn on it where the inn doesn't seem to be taken into account in the scoring. So, a 4-tile road including this piece is worth just 4 points rather than 8.

- The tile with 4 individual city segments and a small farm in the centre doesn't evaluate the number of adjacent cities properly if you place a farmer in the middle of it. This could be anywhere from 0 to 12 if all four cities are completed, but this isn't always correct and the last time I played with it I was awarded 6 points for 3 cities (should have been 9 points).

Traders & Builders
- Would it be possible to introduce any kind of screen to show points won from trade goods? Although I believe the bonuses are being calculated correctly, there's no provision for this in the final scores and the only way you even notice that these points have been added on is because the final score shown is 10, 20 or 30 points higher than it seemed to be after all the incomplete features/ farmers had been evaluated at the end of the game.

Offline doolen

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
I thought I should report that festivals doesn't work. Whenever I try to remove a meeple the meeple is removed but the game doesn't progress to the be next player.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »
A new update was released for this today so that multiplayer is finally an option!

So far I have played one game and it seemed to work pretty well. Definitely recommended!  :(y) :(y) :(y)

Offline Higgs

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 06:48:03 PM »
I've been playing the multiplayer beta a lot since it came out. It is a Beta version so it's not surprising that there are some issues. The biggest problem I have encountered is starting a game and having the opponent stop playing. This usually happens immediately or with the first 15 tiles or so. I'm not sure why, but there are a number of possibilities:
1)the opponent just stops playing and doesn't bother to forfeit
2)the opponent forfeits but it is not being recognized
3)there is a connection problem which takes much too long to timeout

From my playing experience about half of my online games actually go to the end without the opponent at some point stopping play for whatever reason. I can think of some ideas to help prevent this. There should be a time limit for each players move. If the time limit is passed AI should take over the game until the player returns. After a certain number of violated time limits the game should be considered forfeited.

I have also once noticed a bug in which a tile graphically appeared different than its functionality. In this case I found I could place a tile in which a round was next to a city. Needless to say this was very confusing, and the followers placed on adjacent tiles did not function as placed.

Overall, I love playing with real people since the AI is of no challenge whatsoever (although some of the online players actually play worse than the AI). It would be nice once the major bugs are fixed to have some record of your multi-player results. Maybe even a ranking, and occasional tournament style play for the highest ranked players.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 10:57:47 PM »
The version I have for Android is by exozet.  It says 'Version 7 (Desire)'.  I don't see a store or the option to purchase expansions.  My title screen looks nothing like the one you've posted here Dan.  I've tried updating.  Is there another version I should be looking for?  I paid for this one, so I don't really want to get a different one.   :-\
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:01:49 PM by CKorfmann »
Flee the fleas.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 11:12:19 PM »
The version I have for Android is by exozet.  It says 'Version 7 (Desire)'.  I don't see a store or the option to purchase expansions.  My title screen looks nothing like the one you've posted here Dan.  I've tried updating.  Is there another version I should be looking for?  I paid for this one, so I don't really want to get a different one.   :-\

Mine is Exozet as well. It's the old .apk version. Could be the one and the same as I have:

- Base game
- River II with the fork
- Up to four player, no network
- Achievements (for example completing three cloisters in one game)
- Few rules options like 2 or 4 scoring two-tile cities.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »

Mine is Exozet as well. It's the old .apk version. Could be the one and the same as I have:

- Base game
- River II with the fork
- Up to four player, no network
- Achievements (for example completing three cloisters in one game)
- Few rules options like 2 or 4 scoring two-tile cities.

This is the old version; the app has received a complete facelift since then and is now available with I & C, T & B, The Festival and Corn Circles.

I'd say that upgrading is a tough decision. You don't have to pay for the new version (if you bought the old version) but personally I think I preferred the old one, mostly because of the achievements. This said, there isn't a lot of replay value once you've conquered all of these (not that this stopped me).

The expansions are worth playing although there are still bugs surrounding how the values of farms are calculated if I & C and/or T & B are used (place a farmer on the cccc tile with the farm in the middle and you'll see what I mean). Generally they are good though, definitely better now than they were when it was first released.

@Higgs - Thanks for that! Merit for you  :) How long has the multiplayer been available for? I only saw it for the first time last night. As such I've only played one game online and I have to say it was an excellent experience, and a very close game too! I did wonder how it would be handled if my opponent quit but fortunately it didn't come to that, probably because it was difficult to tell who was winning throughout. So overall I was impressed.

Having played maybe about a thousand games against random/ anonymous opponents via the Carcassonne app on Facebook, I would say that it's relatively common for people to quit games if they're not winning or recognise that they can't win. I've never done this as I deem it to be very disrespectful to my opponent, but apparently not everyone thinks this way.  ???

Offline exozet

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 07:51:43 AM »
Hello everyone,

Online Multiplayer has been rolled out to everyone yesterday. For now this is just a "Quick Match" mode but we are already working on a custom multiplayer mode with additional options. Achievements will also come back at some point.

If you encounter any bugs please report them to ms@exozet.com and we'll take a look into it asap. Some known issues will be adressed with the next update (coming soon!).

@CKorfmann: Where did you buy the game from and what's your device?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Android Carcassonne: 16 March 2015 - Amazon free app of the day

Started by Joff

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2015, 11:10:32 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Carcassonne: Amazon Free App of the Day 12/3/13 (Android)

Started by evmillan

0 Replies
Last post December 03, 2013, 03:24:19 PM
by evmillan
xx
Bug in android app, clarification?

Started by jamesk

6 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 08:39:15 AM
by jamesk
xx
How is the Android App now?