Author Topic: What is your least favorite tile?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
What is your least favorite tile?
« on: September 24, 2022, 10:18:46 AM »
I am interested to know which tile (or tiles) in the long history of Carcassonne is your least favorite by far. I am not talking about expansions in general, but about individual tiles. The reasons behind the dislike can be anything from the tile configuration, usefulness, to artwork or even a compatibility with the rules. Express yourself! And maybe others will make you see your hated tiles in a new better light ^-^

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6088.0

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
Re: What is your least favorite tile?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 11:32:06 AM »
La Porxada, because it is not a real tile (I mean a real printed tile), and I don't like the rules that goes with it... And my favorites are the Russian promos for they are beautiful and full of history  :yellow-meeple:

carca82

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 12:08:46 PM »
La Porxada
Isn't this just some fan made content?

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 12:30:49 PM »
La Porxada, because it is not a real tile (I mean a real printed tile), and I don't like the rules that goes with it...
Fair enough. Does that mean that you also dislike CutCassonne because they're also not real tiles?

I do like La Porxada but dislike CutCassonne.

Isn't this just some fan made content?
Nope, but it is unofficial.

And my favorites are the Russian promos for they are beautiful and full of history
Same here.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »
According to WICA:
La Porxada is a self-proclaimed mini-mini-expansion, containing only a single tile. Its place in the Carcassonne universe is debated and disputed – some consider this a completely unofficial expansion, as it was never sanctioned by Hans im Glück. Those who argue this side note that the tiles were simply stickers placed on other tiles. However, the expansion was sanctioned by Klaus-Jürgen Wrede himself (there is even an image of a signed tile on BoardGameGeek.com), so this is more than just a fan expansion. Ultimately, La Porxada exists in semi-official limbo, and individual players must use their own judgement as to the nature of the expansion.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 12:34:54 PM »
Does that mean that you also dislike CutCassonne because they're also not real tiles?

They're not real tiles, but it was possible to get original ones, so thats ok for me. Anyway I placed them on blank tiles inside a protective sleeve so they look like real tiles  :yellow-meeple:

carca82

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 01:37:48 PM »
According to WICA:
However, the expansion was sanctioned by Klaus-Jürgen Wrede himself (there is even an image of a signed tile on BoardGameGeek.com
So, if I get K-JW to sign my belly, would that mean that *I* am part of the game now?  ???  ;D

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 01:49:55 PM »
I dislike the tiles that totally abandon realism in order to get a desired topology.  There are three of these in Abbey & Mayor:

CRCR, where the road goes straight through a wall and then into a tunnel to emerge from the other side.
CCCC & CCCF, both of which have ridiculous bridges over a city.

I don’t dislike novel topology, just unrealistic engineering.  For contrast, I like the CCRR tile in Abbey and Mayor with 2 road segments and 2 city segments, which I think is the only tile of this edge combination that separates the cities.  I would probably like it better if the roads joined in a circle at the center of the tile, because it is difficult to imagine that the road would not have been constructed that way.

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 12:26:41 AM »
For me it would have to be the crcr tile with tunnel from Exp. 3. The fact that the the roads are connected is logical, the fact that the fields on either side are continuous because the road does not touch the city is visually indicated. But the fact that the fields are connected even across the tunnel is absolutely ridiculous!
It is a forcefull rule that goes against the visual representation of the tile.

I also don't like the cloiter in city tile from Exp. 8, because unlike the one from Exp. 3, this one does not have the patch of green around the cloitser ilustration makking it really dificult to make out.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 01:57:28 AM »
Wait, the fields on that tile are 2 separate fields right? 1 above the city, and 1 underneath. They're not connected through the tunnel as 1 field are they?
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 02:15:39 AM »
They are 1 field - see how dumb it is?  ::)

EDIT:  looked at C2 rules and it seems the fields should be separate by the ZMG rules. That makes me dislike this tile even more because for years the wording was extremely misleading and it took a publisher specific C2 upgrade of the rules to clear it up!  >:(
I don't like being misled by badly written official rules, especially when the tile itself is clear enough already via its artwork. This tile-rule disconnect is now the reason I don't like the tile...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 02:31:17 AM by DIN0 »

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2022, 02:40:54 AM »
Hahaha!

I like to say that Carcassonne is a visual game.
When in doubt if something connects or is finished, just look at the board.
So for that reason, my least favourite tile is the 3 FRRR tile from CC1. The tile shows 1 road with 3 different branches, but the clarifications told us that they are 3 separated branches. I don't like that, and therefore I don't like this tile

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 03:03:20 AM »
I dislike the tiles that totally abandon realism in order to get a desired topology.  There are three of these in Abbey & Mayor:

CRCR, where the road goes straight through a wall and then into a tunnel to emerge from the other side.
CCCC & CCCF, both of which have ridiculous bridges over a city.

I'm with Kothmann on these "bridge over city" tiles, and there are a few fan expansion "city" tiles I'm not so keen on either - visually, they "jar" for some reason. I'll see if I can dig any of them out - I've attached one from "All The Rest Of The Tiles". There are also some CCCC tiles with internal city walls that divide the city into multiple segments. Nothing against the design concept, or the reality aspect, but easy to overlook when playing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 03:18:59 AM by wolnic »
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2022, 03:18:13 AM »
For contrast, I like the CCRR tile in Abbey and Mayor with 2 road segments and 2 city segments, which I think is the only tile of this edge combination that separates the cities.  I would probably like it better if the roads joined in a circle at the center of the tile, because it is difficult to imagine that the road would not have been constructed that way.

I made up the following for personal use ... is this the sort of thing you were thinking of?

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2022, 03:35:22 AM »
Hahaha!

I like to say that Carcassonne is a visual game.
When in doubt if something connects or is finished, just look at the board.
So for that reason, my least favourite tile is the 3 FRRR tile from CC1. The tile shows 1 road with 3 different branches, but the clarifications told us that they are 3 separated branches. I don't like that, and therefore I don't like this tile

Well that's the thing! It is a visual game and the visuals were very clear to the point that I would not even need the rules to understand the connectivity on that tile. But it is the dubiou wording of the supporting rules, which introduces the silliness!

Also, whenever I hear the words "Carcassonne is a viual game", all I can think of is...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
What is your favorite tile in the basegame?

Started by Challa007

8 Replies
Last post February 15, 2023, 04:31:04 AM
by Decar
xx
Least fun Carcassonne game you've played?

Started by Doom_Shark

13 Replies
Last post August 18, 2022, 02:18:01 AM
by Decar
question
FAVORITE Expansions: Please VOTE! What are YOUR top 3???

Started by DOCTORawfulMD

34 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 01:00:19 PM
by Rosco
xx
Favorite Tile-Laying Games

Started by kothmann

16 Replies
Last post October 10, 2023, 05:35:20 AM
by Decar
xx
Favorite Major Expansion