Carc Central Community > Reviews & Session Reports

Family Game in Oban!

(1/3) > >>

kothmann:
In late May, my family travelled to the highlands of Scotland.  It was the first time the four of us were together in 2022 and our first time in this lovely part of the world.  While we were in Oban, we made time for one game of Carcassonne, with 73 tiles and some variation of my old city rules.  Lots of fun, and not just because of the wonderful local whisky.   >:D

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5962.0

Meepledrone:
Nice game!

Did you replace some base game tiles for others from The Festival?

kothmann:
Yes.  Remove: 4xRFRF, 4xRRFF, and 1xFFFF (base game has a few too many roads).  This leaves 73 tiles, and the only edge patterns that are not represented are RCFC, RFCC, RCCF: all combinations of one road and two cities, so it is easier for casual players to remember.  The monopoly houses are “Inns” which are placed on any road with two open edges, and the player who completes a city gets a coin for each pennant in that city, so pennants act like trade goods.   :D

Meepledrone:
Nice variant! ;D ;D ;D

I like the idea of adding inns and the coins. The former makes a dull road so much interesting.

I understand that the player with more coins at the end of the game gets 10 extra points, right?

Besides the local whiskey ;), didn't you add any other Scottish treats to the games?

kothmann:

--- Quote from: Meepledrone on June 07, 2022, 12:14:25 AM ---I like the idea of adding inns…

--- End quote ---
Yes, these “guesthouses” make drawing a road tile with no endings more exciting and interesting.  And removes most of the luck associated with drawing an Inn, and with no additional tiles.

--- Quote ---I understand that the player with more coins at the end of the game gets 10 extra points, right?

--- End quote ---
You could certainly do it that way.  We don’t like the “player with the most” rule, because once any player has a majority, that part of the game is over.  So, we award 2 points for each coin except the player with the most coins gets 3 per coin.  If you only ever close your own cities, this makes the coins equivalent to the base rules for pennants.  But now players have some incentive to close opponents’ cities.  Once one player has a majority of coins, the point differential between that player getting a coin (+3) and opponent getting a coin (+2) becomes an important consideration (net 5 point difference).

--- Quote ---Besides the local whiskey ;), didn't you add any other Scottish treats to the games?

--- End quote ---
Sheep would certainly have been quite apropos!  Is there a wind expansion?!  I’m not sure how a haggis expansion might work… :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version