Author Topic: The gift + bazaars  (Read 608 times)

Offline Tomoto_17

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
The gift + bazaars
« on: October 16, 2021, 11:42:34 PM »
This is about the Gift mini-expansion when you combine it with Bridges, Castles & Bazaars:

Are you allowed to open a gift when you have to use a tile from a bazaar auction? And if you are, and have the take 2 gift, are you then allowed to choose for the second tile? And what do you do with your bazaar tile, do you keep it for next turn or do you put it back like you should normally do?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5506.0

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The gift + bazaars
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:03:45 AM »
This is a great question! There is no official clarification about this interaction so we are here combining expansions "at our own risk".

In this situation, I would think of these two possible courses of action, according to the way you apply the rules:

a) Strict mode: you only may open a gift after drawing one tile as if in the base game.
    In this case, you can only open a gift if you draw one regular tile as usual. This means that using an abbey, a German castle, a Halfling or a tile purchased in a bazaar prevent you from opening a gift.

b) Loose mode: you may open a gift after drawing a tile if there is not interference between mechanics.
    In this case, you may always open a gift but you may have some restrictions regarding the "Take 2" gift card. This means that using an abbey, a German castle, a Halfling or a tile purchased in a bazaar would prevent you from opening a "Take 2" gift, since it would not make sense, since you have already a tile to place you haven't drawn. There is an edge case here regarding the purchased tile: if you cannot placed it, you would discard it and draw a new tile, so you would be allowed to open a "Take 2" gift.

I prefer the loose mode, since it provides a more flexible approach by allowing to open a gift always but restricting the "Take 2" gift to those case where it makes sense.

Additionally, the "Take 2" gift also may have a conflict with The Fortune Teller. In this case, I would need to decide between two options:
a) Choosing between the two mechanics when drawing a tile
b) Combining them by using the gift card to draw +1 card in addition to the ones granted by your fortune tellers.
But again, you will have to house rule this decision for the time being.

What do you think?
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
Re: The gift + bazaars
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 11:32:16 AM »
Well, I prefer the strict mode, since it's a lot easier, making a rule that's always applicable.

The loose mode makes it complicated to understand and explain in which situations you can or can not open a gift, and it'll probably lead to a lot of debates between players around the table.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Gift Rules

Started by robnhill

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2022, 03:55:05 PM
by gamgeefan2
xx
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Bazaars

Started by MrNumbers

28 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 01:18:01 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Rules about bazaars (Bridges, Castles and Bazaars)

Started by SxN

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2021, 02:13:23 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
WTB: Bridges, Castles & Bazaars (ZMG English 2nd Edition)

Started by Scott

9 Replies
Last post January 26, 2022, 11:48:12 PM
by Scott
clip
Bug with Inn from Bridges, Castles, and Bazaars?

Started by glh510

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 11:03:22 AM
by glh510