Author Topic: Carcassonne Wooden Laser Tiles  (Read 7626 times)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Wooden Laser Tiles
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 01:52:13 AM »
For goodness sake - this forum is not a sponsored hig site.  We do not get any preferential treatment from hig , and as I remember it they have completely disregarded our points of view on various occasions.  We as a community have slagged off what hig has and is doing with Carcassonne for years. 

I am not saying "screw hig" - I am saying "have some perspective".  If hig want to issue cease and desist notices to all these crafters who make and sell Carcassonne things then they can go right ahead.  But we as a community shouldn't be policing creativity apart from choosing not to purchase an item if we want to. 

I find this whole argument a bit ridiculous to be honest.  Yes the wooden game is almost certainly illegal but is the seller doing it to make his/her millions? No.  Do you actually care that much?  I don't and Hig are big enough and clever enough to fight their own battles.

I think it is a really nice looking creation.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Yashin-n

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 05:11:22 AM »
I don't care about selling these wooden tiles at Etsy/E-bay etc. HiG should/may care about selling that nice but illegal version of Carcassonne because HiG is the owner of the game Copyright.
But if we understand that this version of the game is illegal how can we advertice it on the CC? CC is the community of Car fans. And I gratefull to HiG for creation Carcassone and development of the game.  It is not good for Carcassonne community to help these people to use  HiG's ideas for making theirs  hundreds euros in illegal way. Legal way is simple - writing  the letter to HiG and receiveing the approval. 

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 05:56:48 AM »
I see what you are saying but No one was advertising this.  The original poster of this and various other similar things over the years is drawing our attention to something Carcassonne related in case us fans are interested.  It would be different if the seller comes on here selling something illegal.

Ultimately I strongly believe consumers owe nothing to commercial sellers - they have created a product we like And we have given them our money.  It is clear that retailers/manufacturers simply want to make money and that is fine.  But I don't think we fans should be policing very small time sellers.  If hig wants to stop them selling then they will.

Offline Push

• Freeman
  • Merit: 9
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 09:55:34 AM »
Beautiful set!

And very usable - less scratches, less attrition than  on the common cardboard tiles.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
Apparently there will be a new version of these designs issued next year.  The shade of wood will be lighter, or 'flubberly' and have some extra diamond shaped embellishments on selected tiles.  There will be some religious cardboard to accompany as an optional expansion.

I for one prefer the new version and an esteemed member of this forum has mentioned the original version to now look a tad dated.

The six monasteries are very good likenesses of the delightful cathedral of Our Lady of the Hot Beverage and Poisson. A magnifying glass allows the famous Marc Chagall stained glass window in the shape of a meeple to be fully appreciated. Who needs de kloosters?

The first small expansion has been confirmed as The river Aude which meanders for 12 tiles.

The third expansion features a clockwork Giant Lizard which randomly takes 6 steps. Any meeples on these tiles are picked up in its mouth a spat out in the direction of the owning player.

The sixth expansion is unavailable due to the lack of fun from the plethora of associated rules. The seventh expansion has however been resurrected which is more than commensurate.

Two Russian tiles can be added to your order. I wouldn't want to push these as they are not cheap but at least the rounded corners do not tear the bin bag from which we draw the tiles.

Finally a limited edition run of 100 carrycases fashioned in the shape of the Hobbit Hole of Bilbo the Imaginative is available for £650. The trifold scoring track is exquisitely hinged so as to fit through the round aperture. 1 lucky purchaser will also find the ring of rings secreted inside. Completionist be damned.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:22:20 AM by Halfling »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »
That is brilliant - when I started reading I thought it was a serious comment!!!  Hilarious!

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 12:43:49 AM »
With that mentality you will lose many things in life. As a collector of Carcassonne, I am interested in everything. I've been looking for one entirely of wood for some time. If HyG does not do it or someone else I would commission it to a carpentry shop to do it to me. What this person does can be done by anyone in this forum if you go to a specialized carpentry shop and you entrust it. Or if someone makes a magnetic carcassonne or we order it from a specialized store or we when go to a printer for our modified fake tiles using images that are copyrighted. Just because there is money is illegal? Sure? At the ethical level, everything would be illegal, let's not be hypocrites. Then we are all illegal or what? Open a little the mind that we are in the 21st century.

but HiG are choosing their battles, this shop doesn't have a CnD in place.  HiG is a small company itself.  I'd also argue that we did X because another person was doing X and you didn't or haven't tried to stop them could be grounds for a defence, assuming they could show HiG was aware of it.  I don't know any examples of this though.
Exactly! :(y)
In my view it is unacceptably  to SELL such things without the Copyright agreement with HiG. Crafter could make the game for himself, he might present it to somebody, but not sell. The good example of such crafting is giant tiles-coasters, there was no problem for crafter to take the permission from HiG and sell the goods without any questions.
And it is not good to advertise illegal "Carcassonne" games on Carcassonne phorum. I'd delete the link and the photo from this topic.
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 01:23:15 AM »
Full description of the second edition now added above

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 01:37:05 AM »
hahahahaha yes!!  ;D

Full description of the second edition now added above

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 01:38:25 AM »
That's all about!!  :(y)  ;)

I see what you are saying but No one was advertising this.  The original poster of this and various other similar things over the years is drawing our attention to something Carcassonne related in case us fans are interested.  It would be different if the seller comes on here selling something illegal.

Ultimately I strongly believe consumers owe nothing to commercial sellers - they have created a product we like And we have given them our money.  It is clear that retailers/manufacturers simply want to make money and that is fine.  But I don't think we fans should be policing very small time sellers.  If hig wants to stop them selling then they will.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:43 AM »
For goodness sake - this forum is not a sponsored hig site.  We do not get any preferential treatment from hig , and as I remember it they have completely disregarded our points of view on various occasions.  We as a community have slagged off what hig has and is doing with Carcassonne for years. 

I am not saying "screw hig" - I am saying "have some perspective".  If hig want to issue cease and desist notices to all these crafters who make and sell Carcassonne things then they can go right ahead.  But we as a community shouldn't be policing creativity apart from choosing not to purchase an item if we want to. 

I find this whole argument a bit ridiculous to be honest.  Yes the wooden game is almost certainly illegal but is the seller doing it to make his/her millions? No.  Do you actually care that much?  I don't and Hig are big enough and clever enough to fight their own battles.

I appreciate your frustration Rosco, and I agree with you to a large extent. I'm sure Tom will scold me for this, but in my opinion HiG have ignored a lot of great opportunities that we've tried to make for them to partner with us and accomplish some cool things that would have really helped to grow the Carcassonne community and ultimately generated more interest in Carcassonne (and therefore money) around the world. Maybe they have their reasons for this, maybe they don't, but they're the ones who invest the money so it's up to them to make the decisions even if they seem impossible to justify for people like you and me.

And although I want to do what I can to support Carcassonne, I'm not a huge fan of our unofficial, unincentivised duty to report things like this to HiG when they've never really done anything with any information we've provided them with in the past either. Again, it's their decision and I'm sure they have to consider all manner of factors that people like me are too dumb to appreciate. But if they don't appear to care about stuff like this and aren't even following up to ask people to stop, why should we care either? I get that too.

At the end of the day though, if there's one thing I don't support it's people making money from other people's work and ideas. KJW designed Carcassonne and HiG own it. Maybe these wooden tiles are nice enough to justify the money, but do I want to give my money to someone who had nothing to do with the creation of the game that he's now selling? For the same reason I stopped playing Carcassonne via Facebook after over 1000 games when I realised that it was an unlicensed rip-off that has since been renamed. And it's why I continue to report eBay sellers who attempt to sell homemade Carcassonne tiles based on expansions that are/ were freely available through this site or others.

While I don't necessarily expect everyone/ anyone to agree with me on this (when has this ever happened?!), hopefully you can see the difference!

And very usable - less scratches, less attrition than  on the common cardboard tiles.

I don't think this is true. The tiles are made from something akin to Balsa wood, and while the quality of the images burnt onto them is good, I would say they are actually less durable than the cardboard ones.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Wooden Carcassonne Tiles

Started by danisthirty

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 03:01:56 PM
by Whaleyland
smiley
WTS CARCASSONNE - DE STAD SEALED (wooden box)

Started by The-Edge

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 02:02:40 PM
by danisthirty
clip
Spiel Doch Magazine 2018/2 : 2 Carcassonne tiles & 2 Safari tiles

Started by aenima

49 Replies
Last post November 16, 2018, 06:02:36 AM
by Geordieracer82
xx
wooden token parts