Author Topic: Carcassonne Wooden Laser Tiles  (Read 7554 times)

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
Carcassonne Wooden Laser Tiles
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:36:36 AM »
I have found in Etsy a user that makes the basic game in wood along with the expansion of river I. It is made entirely in wood and laser engraved illustrations. Even the reverse side of the tiles. I have been looking at pictures and I find them wonderful. You have the option to varnish them later if you do not want them to have that matte tone. But without varnishing they also seem very cool to me. I would like to know if someone already has it or what you think. I'm going to place an order soon. Also on the other hand they sell a wooden box with the marker engraved on the back of the box. Surely it's where I keep the tiles once I have them. I give you some pictures to give you an idea.

Here's the link of the shop:
https://www.etsy.com/es/listing/192808759/laser-corte-carcassonne-azulejo-conjunto?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=carcassonne&ref=sr_gallery-1-3

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4129.0
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Yashin-n

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Wooden Laser Tiles
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 05:57:37 AM »
I doubt that it is legal to make such copies of Carcassonne without agreement with HiG.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:15:52 AM »
They appear to be selling the vector files too!

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 06:25:27 AM »
I doubt that it is legal all the accessories that are made with the logo or name of carcassonne. Including new expansions using illustrations that are copyright. Come on!!  :))

I doubt that it is legal to make such copies of Carcassonne without agreement with HiG.

Offline Christianmocking

• Duke
  • Merit: 8
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
Legal or not, it is good that this post was made:)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 02:49:52 AM »
They look similar to the ones posted about here.

I bought these (4 years ago) without any specific regard for licensing as it wasn't a concern for me at the time. They're nice enough as a novelty, but I've never played with them. Now that I know a little more about how licensing works I certainly wouldn't support anyone who is benefiting financially from someone else's intellectual property.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 03:12:57 AM »
I totally understand where you are coming from Dan, but on that basis, artists doing paintings of comic book characters or tattoos are also a no go area.  And what about jewellery, badges, box inserts for storage? Clothing? 

Someone taking someone else's intellectual property and selling it in the same format as the original is absolutely not ok, but using it for inspiration, providing something to enhance it, or changing it to make some cash and also promoting the original at the same time is surely ok. 

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 03:28:10 AM »
Well I'm certainly no expert on how copyright/ licensing works, but there must be a line somewhere between what is and isn't acceptable. I don't know where that is, but would suggest that any attempt to sell something that could be deemed to be replacing something that is already available through the person who created it would not be legal. Nor should it be. In this case, making a profit through a homemade copy of the Carcassonne basegame certainly does that, whereas it may be less clear-cut in some instances where something doesn't necessarily replace anything offered by the license holder.

Those are just my thoughts on it anyway. I could be wrong, but in general a consideration of these factors is often helpful before choosing whether to part with your money. O:-)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 03:46:56 AM »
Fair enough, although I would suggest that this is not in fact a replacement but something a fan would buy who is likely to have everything already.  I would find it unlikely that someone who has never heard of Carcassonne would buy it.  Legally, this is probably not allowed but these are just my thoughts on the matter.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 07:44:40 AM »
All the reason.  ;)

I totally understand where you are coming from Dan, but on that basis, artists doing paintings of comic book characters or tattoos are also a no go area.  And what about jewellery, badges, box inserts for storage? Clothing? 

Someone taking someone else's intellectual property and selling it in the same format as the original is absolutely not ok, but using it for inspiration, providing something to enhance it, or changing it to make some cash and also promoting the original at the same time is surely ok. 

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »
As I posted last week HiG own the shape of a meeple and have sent CnD notices to a couple of shops selling meeple earrings.

The wooden tiles posted have use artwork very similar to that belonging to HiG, if this is without permission or through a licence agreement, then HiG have a right to protect their assets.

HiG own the intellectual property.  Arguing that someone who buys this probably already owns the basegame made of cardboard is not a legitimate defence.  Tomorrow, HiG may decide to produce wooden tiles.  People who have bought these wouldn't tiles would be unlikely to buy HiGs ones.  Thus HiG will lose out on a number of potential sales; this damages their product.   HiG have a right to defend what is theirs.

If there is no licence agreement in place, HiG also have no control over product quality.  If I show this to a friend and the quality is low it may have a detrimental effect on the brand.  This is why HiG protect their 'C' logo and have told quite a few retailers to stop using their iconography.  It's why I can't open up a shop called MacDanoldos with a big yellow M and sell really rubbish burgers.

Again, assuming there is no agreement, this person is trying to piggy back off of the hard work of HiG and the hard work of many other licence holders around the globe.

In some ways it is similar to the Nike/Sega court case in the late 90s.  Sega remade a Nike advert scene by scene to push their product and it was settled as being detrimental to the Nike brand.  Worth a look as it is certainly one of the pioneering cases in copyright law that affects the computer game industry.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 03:09:17 PM »
But Decar- we are not talking about some mega game giants trying to profit from HIG's intellectual property, we are talking about an Etsy crafter.  Yes the law is the same for all.  But choose your battles.  These are a nice thing.  I won't buy them - not for legal reasons but because they are not THAT nice and I can't afford something like this.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:11:10 PM by Decar »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »
but HiG are choosing their battles, this shop doesn't have a CnD in place.  HiG is a small company itself.  I'd also argue that we did X because another person was doing X and you didn't or haven't tried to stop them could be grounds for a defence, assuming they could show HiG was aware of it.  I don't know any examples of this though.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 04:57:59 AM »
Exactly!  ;)

But Decar- we are not talking about some mega game giants trying to profit from HIG's intellectual property, we are talking about an Etsy crafter.  Yes the law is the same for all.  But choose your battles.  These are a nice thing.  I won't buy them - not for legal reasons but because they are not THAT nice and I can't afford something like this.

Offline Yashin-n

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »
but HiG are choosing their battles, this shop doesn't have a CnD in place.  HiG is a small company itself.  I'd also argue that we did X because another person was doing X and you didn't or haven't tried to stop them could be grounds for a defence, assuming they could show HiG was aware of it.  I don't know any examples of this though.
Exactly! :(y)
In my view it is unacceptably  to SELL such things without the Copyright agreement with HiG. Crafter could make the game for himself, he might present it to somebody, but not sell. The good example of such crafting is giant tiles-coasters, there was no problem for crafter to take the permission from HiG and sell the goods without any questions.
And it is not good to advertise illegal "Carcassonne" games on Carcassonne phorum. I'd delete the link and the photo from this topic.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Wooden Carcassonne Tiles

Started by danisthirty

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 03:01:56 PM
by Whaleyland
smiley
WTS CARCASSONNE - DE STAD SEALED (wooden box)

Started by The-Edge

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 02:02:40 PM
by danisthirty
clip
Spiel Doch Magazine 2018/2 : 2 Carcassonne tiles & 2 Safari tiles

Started by aenima

49 Replies
Last post November 16, 2018, 06:02:36 AM
by Geordieracer82
lamp
Meeple comparison (wooden, frozen, phantoms, teachers, minis, unofficials...etc)

Started by corinthiens13

25 Replies
Last post July 28, 2021, 12:45:31 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
AotC with Wooden Ark on eBay UK

Started by unclewill

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2022, 01:04:48 AM
by Meepledrone