Author Topic: Century Spice Road - 1st impressions with photos  (Read 3495 times)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
Century Spice Road - 1st impressions with photos
« on: August 27, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »
I finally received this title in a recent game haul and was happy to get it to the table

Not a Splendor killer by any means but fun game in it's own right.

Unfortunately this title can’t escape the Splendor comparison. In a nutshell for both games, one gathers resources (Spices or Gems) and turns those into points. I will only give a very brief description of the game.

My own cheat sheet. Spice cups are included in the game box.

CSR is even more stripped down in comparison to Splendor, (that isn’t complex begin with). This makes it a little easier to get to the table. It’s simple enough to learn and plays quickly, (we are already down to about 20 minutes).

Personal Spice Caravan card

Turns are very quick and there are one of 4 actions you can take:

Play a card: Play a trader card from your hand, (collect spice cubes).
Acquire: Get a new Merchant card into your hand.
Rest: Take all the cards you’ve played back into your hand.
Score: Purchase a point card

Merchant Cards

In a two player game the first to collect six point cards triggers the end of game. The point cards vary in worth (9 – 20 points if I recall). The final point count is achieved by the collected point cards, some of the higher value spice cubes left on your caravan card at the end of the game, (1 point each) and finally Gold coins, (3 points each) and Silver coins, (1 point each).

Point cards

In our 1st game when my wife collected her 6th card I had one more play. I couldn’t collect a card but I was able to get more spice cubes. When the final count was done I had 78 points and Karen had 72. I was able to take the game with higher value cards, spice cubes and coins. We have now played 3 games. Karen took the last game 101 - 94!

Coins. The colour tone is a little similar and I could see some issues distinguishing them in low light.

There isn’t much in the box but the quality is good. The game includes small plastic containers for the cubes, which is a nice touch. The metal coins are also a good quality. I think these might have been added to give some perceived value to the minimal amount of components. The card stock on the cards is a very a good, thick stock. There is a separate promotional place mat that is available directly from the publisher that looks nice but comes at too high a cost for the little it would add to the game.

Full set up for two players

I’ve played Splendor 100’s of times. I do not see this ever replacing that title. Regardless for us there is (barely) enough space on the shelf for both games.

Century Spice Road is a nice light game that I would be happy to play on a regular basis. All in all we are pleased with the investment.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3520.0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:15:58 AM by franks »
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Century Spice Road - 1st impressions with photos
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:30:46 PM »
The guys at the game store told us this is the Splendor killer.  After seeing how horrible the upcoming Splendor expansion looks, I talked my family into giving Century Spice Road a go.  We enjoyed it, but both my wife and son preferred Splendor.  I really could go either way. 

My son couldn't remember the spice names, so he renamed them after slurpee flavors: coke, Apple, cherry, and banana.   ::)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »

My son couldn't remember the spice names, so he renamed them after slurpee flavors: coke, Apple, cherry, and banana.   ::)

:o  ;D

I'll add here that the balance in the game seems really good. Most of our games have been within a few points. We just finished playing our 1st 4 player game with our daughters and it was a 3 way tie at 60 points. The last player to play, breaks the tie and that was me  >:D

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:04:05 PM »
Great review and a merit from me!

Seems like this game missed the mark, it seems to feel like it was destined for more, but simplified before production.

Where's the meat!

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
Great review and a merit from me!

Seems like this game missed the mark, it seems to feel like it was destined for more, but simplified before production.

Where's the meat!

Thanks Decar :(y)

This one is strictly for Veggie Meeples ;D

I'm guessing it was designed as a true gateway game. I think it succeeded at that. So far it has gone over well with the 6 people I've played with of varying experience. The most experienced player bought a copy on-line before the game was over. But agreed one wouldn't be looking for deep substance here, just a quick warm up or lunch time game, (played 2 games at work group today).

I do think it wouldn't take long before looking for an expansion. I understand that this is one game in a series of three but don't think the ones to come would act as a true expansion.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Caverna: Cave vs Cave - photos, mini review and impressions

Started by franks

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 05:50:12 PM
by franks
xx
The Voyages of Marco Polo - First plays, first impressions (image heavy)

Started by franks

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2017, 06:07:57 AM
by franks
lamp
21st century CAR

Started by Maj. Frost

36 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 05:54:40 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
HiG - Facebook - Photos from Carcassonne-Fans