Author Topic: Random Tiles  (Read 738 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Random Tiles
« on: December 05, 2021, 09:15:42 AM »
When our neighborhood group found Carcassonne in June of 2021, we each bought the 2017 Big Box version of the game.  One of the major features that we all loved about the game was how each player would draw a “random” tile from the pile each turn.  There was no way to get an advantage, no one was allowed to peek at their tile!

After a while we started buying other expansions and were somewhat disappointed by the fact that some of the backs of some of the expansions were slightly a different color.  We looked into using a bag instead of just leaving the tile upside down on the table, then decided to just create 4 random stacks of tiles that each player would grab, pick up half the stack, then “randomly” drop the middle tile on the table without being able to see if there was a slight color difference.

Now we are reading a number of posts that “The tiles have rounded corners, which is slightly odd” and “But the uptick in the quality of printing on the new tiles, including the rounded corners is also nice.”

We are extremely concerned! Will these new tile be noticeable different that the existing tiles? If I look at the backs of the tiles upside down on a table, can I see the difference?  If I reach into a bag, can I feel the difference?  If the answer is yes, why would anyone want to remove one of the primary features of the game, you draw a “random” tile each turn?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5579.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Random Tiles
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 12:57:01 PM »
If you order the Peasants Revolt mini expansion from last year, you can try with a few tiles. They are of the new style.

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
Re: Random Tiles
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 01:15:34 PM »
We not only have tiles with different shades of grey color at the back or slightly more rounded edges but some of us (me included) also play with fan made expansions where we make our own tiles - and you can see that!

The solution we found is to use the tower from the tower expansion where you put all tiles and then there is only the choice to take left or right. The tower has to be placed in a way that the player taking the next tile cannot see the tiles... - you are in front but you grab behind (hope I can make myself understandable...).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Few random pictures and thoughts

Started by Snearone

17 Replies
Last post October 31, 2022, 11:56:37 AM
by Scott
xx
Online games not really random?

Started by Pleebus

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2018, 03:07:41 AM
by Maj. Frost
xx
Random board generator script [completed]

Started by Paul

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 08:11:23 AM
by Paul
question
random 'merit' questions

Started by cicerunner

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2020, 02:06:47 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
What would you consider the best expansion tiles? Specifically the tiles.

Started by Clarky

9 Replies
Last post February 15, 2018, 06:12:22 AM
by danisthirty