Author Topic: Recommendations for shipping small, valuable items from the UK?  (Read 923 times)

Offline egamar

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't much in my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Are there any recommendations for shipping small, valuable items from the UK to the EU (or different EU countries if practices vary) for hassle-free transit?

Should I just pop it in cardboard CD-mailer (remember those?) and send it as a letter on a priority service with adequate insurance?  Is it sophistry to argue that the value of a Carcassonne tile is £1 (as that is what they can be bought for from Cundco) not the price someone paid because the really wanted that particular tile?

What do folks do?

"Asking for a friend".

Thanks

Lewis

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6029.0
Agricola was my gateway game. Carcassonne became my game of choice.

Offline OneEyedOwl

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • Based in Germany, at the Swiss border
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for shipping small, valuable items from the UK?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 08:02:29 AM »
It all boils down to what you write down. I remember buying a twisty puzzle for something like 400 Pounds, and the seller wrote the production cost of the puzzle as the value. Issue can sometimes be that the Customs want to see a bill (double PayPal transaction solves that), and if the parcel is insured and gets lost, the reimbursment will be only for the insured amount. But in principle that works, yes.

No interest in 1st edition, but glad to help anyone looking for them. If you see something on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de and need someone to ship to your country, hit me up ^^

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 03:08:09 AM »
If you sold the item for £100 then the item has that worth, and you can insure it for as much.  If the item is lost you have to show evidence of it's worth, at least you do when something gets trashed in the UK.

If it's any help, some of us are travelling to Germany later this year.  I'd be happy to post things from Germany if that saves a few pounds.

I've not checked since Brexit, but My Hermes has been reliable and cheaper than Royal Mail in the past.

It may also be cheaper to bundle everything together and trust someone to pass the items on.  This often works well on our forum at least..

Offline egamar

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 03:23:05 AM »
Thanks for that.  It's not the postage and insurance per se that's the issue (it's quite reasonable by RM for the odd tile or five), it's the unwelcome attention of Customs and the imposition of local VAT and perhaps (but I doubt it since these items are of EU origin) duty.  Adding 19% - 23% to already high prices for certain rarities would certainly add insult to considerable injury.  Doubly-so since VAT had already been paid, probably to Cundco in Germany! 

I'll wait and see who wants what and if they would be prepared to wait then I imagine they'd be grateful, I certainly would be :)

Cheerio, thanks again

Lewis

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 03:30:35 AM »
I believe the EU currently adds VAT for everything that comes from outside the EU, so also these kind of parcels.
You could send it as a gift, but that does impact the insurance and stuff, so would be an additional risk.
Otherwise, getting it into EU by car and then posting can be a clever solution :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline egamar

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 03:32:14 AM »
You are right, Willem.

In any event, I will give buyers/prospective buyers the choice.  It's a decision only they can make - I will just present the options :)

Cheerio

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Recommendations for fan expansions that don't add new tiles?

Started by cgschwarz7

6 Replies
Last post July 19, 2020, 12:23:35 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
EBay items about to end

Started by Rosco

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 06:27:34 PM
by Rosco
exclamation
WTB - Many different expansions and special items