Author Topic: Big Box 5 - A New Big Box in the Netherlands  (Read 66797 times)

Offline Thjodbjorn

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Big Box 5 - A New Big Box in the Netherlands
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
Specifically, the three "bonus" WoF tiles in BB5 are the RRFF, RFRF, and the RFRC. Just the fact that they added more than necessary was what confused me. But like I said, more tiles are probably better than fewer. :)

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
So you counted all tiles and compared the two versions. The Original WoF has only 72 tiles I think, which should be taken away if using BB5 with the WoF-expansion for the original WoF?

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
Necro alert ... I realize my post is almost three years too late, but this was the most "general" BB5 thread I could find as a place to tether a link to my new discussion.

Yes, 12 tiles were different between the Wheel of Fortune base game and the Carcassonne base game.

Actually it's just 9 or 10 (depending on whether you count the start tile's back changing from dark to light).

Specifically, the three "bonus" WoF tiles in BB5 are the RRFF, RFRF, and the RFRC. Just the fact that they added more than necessary was what confused me.

Yeah, this was also part of the confusion for me, too.

Though I still don't quite have a Wheel of Fortune secured for myself, I have been trying to wrap my head around these configuration differences, both obvious and subtle. It's been frustrating.

I've read a lot of information in these forums, in the CAR, on BGG and the interwebs in general, and even a few posts on CarcF. Almost everyone has something helpful to add, but nobody (that I have found, anyway) has really laid out the full picture; I haven't found any one source that is complete and 100% correct, at least not in a way that I could understand. The CAR does offer a fair amount of information, but it could use more clarity in the details, additional tile distribution images, and a correction or two.

So yesterday I went through the mind-numbing exercise of downloading tile scans of both standalone and BB5, and doing a tile-by-tile comparison of every detail including gameplay, watermarks, and even the decorative buildings. Then I created some graphics to illustrate what I learned, with the intention of using them in the next CAR update. You can see it all in the CAR 7.5 Prep Discussion: Wheel of Fortune Version Comparison thread.

Here's a quick preview of one of the images, which for now is only thumbnail quality until I have my own copies that I can scan at better resolution.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:10:16 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
I don't see the what the confusion is about. It's simply two different versions of Wheel of Fortune.  ;D :(y)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Big Box 7: A brand new Big Box with an already long history?!

Started by Willem

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 11:49:15 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Big Box 4 (Plus 2012) VS Big Box 5 (Plus 2014) what is the best?

Started by caincarcassonne

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 11:57:22 PM
by SRBO
xx
HAVE: Empty Big Box WANT: Empty Standard Box

Started by AntisocialOcelot

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2018, 12:11:13 PM
by Rosco
xx
FS Big Box Custom Box