Author Topic: Will the numbered expansion be printed in C3 style?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline joe_abbot

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Will the numbered expansion be printed in C3 style?
« on: December 27, 2022, 10:03:59 AM »
I'm not a fan of C3 style but there's something I like even less, and that's mixing different art style in the same game.
This means I'm not using my C3 pieces very much.
Do you think the numbered expansion (Princess&Dragon, Tower, Abbey&Mayor, etc) will get a C3 edition? Is there any info about this possibility?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6213.0

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Will the numbered expansion be printed in C3 style?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 10:14:29 AM »
I've heard some comments from Devir saying that the major expansions will be released in C3. There would be no big announcement but a replacement of those expansions out of stock. HiG hasn't made any comments yet... They are usually not very tansparent with their plans, check the WE 2022 coming out of the blue, whereas they had been announcing Mists of Carcassonne for almost a year...

This stealh re-release already happened with the Base Game in C3, Big Box 7 (Bog Box 2021/2), which includes Exp.1 and 2), and some minis such as Castles in Germany and The Festival... So I also expect that some minis will follow suit. However, some others may disappear in the process, The Labyrinth and Markets of Leipzig are not available anymore and Cundco has no plans to convert them to C3 for the time being.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 10:17:31 AM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 12:31:24 PM »
I'm not a fan of C3 style but there's something I like even less, and that's mixing different art style in the same game.
This means I'm not using my C3 pieces very much.
Do you think the numbered expansion (Princess&Dragon, Tower, Abbey&Mayor, etc) will get a C3 edition? Is there any info about this possibility?

There is difference between C2/C3 but there is also between some C2/C2 expansions, like different green on fields, etc.

But be sure, that everything new (except Carcassonne Maps, as we saw Ukraine or Bulgarian edition of maps) will be only in C3
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 12:09:16 AM »
yesterday a user of the Italian group on facebook asked if his version of inns and cathedrals of "Giochi Uniti" was C1 or C3.  he showed some photos... the tiles are of the C3 version, but the box and rulebook are C2, as happened for the German castles, but in big!  the only important difference is the presence of the 2020 date between the copyrights. This to say that at least Inns and Cathedrals has already been released single and not only in the big box in the C3 version, so I think that the next reprints of the other expansions will follow the same process.  The problem will be recognizing the versions during the purchase: buying online will always leave you in doubt!

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 02:17:11 AM »
I think there might have been an issue with Giochi Uniti boxes, where C3 tiles were included where they shouldn't be.
A user on Reddit had the same thing a while back, with C3 tiles in a C2 box (also Inns&Cathedrals).

I've also (recently) bought this expansion, and mine also has the 2020 trademark included, however this has C2 tiles.

So i think/hope that proper C3 major expansion releases will have new box art, and won't be mixed in with C2 boxes.
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline joe_abbot

• Villein
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 04:05:22 AM »
The cathedral tile is C3 but the cathedral tile on the box is C2... what a mess  :o

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 06:04:23 AM »
I don't have any clue about what HiG's motivation to do this stealthy transition to a new edition barely 7 years after the previous artwork style update. They will be reworking ll the tiles for a similar effect to the eye. For the time being, C3 looks even noisier than C2 to me.

Any thoughts?

Offline barth

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 01:20:09 AM »
Same thoughts here @Meepledrone - for me the cities are too tight, too crowded in the C3. But I played 20th Anniversary version yesterday and I have to admit that I like these all new extra details. It's just the cities that are bugging me, I think that more space between buildings are easier on the eyes and more comforting while playing. Try to play right C1 right after C3 and you will feel the difference right away :D

As for the stealthy transition, it's a bit strange, but I hope they will at least make some new boxes for all of the major expansions, instead of leaving the C2 artwork and packing C3 tiles.

Not that I don't like the C2 artwork, I just think it would be a nightmare for future collectors :D

Offline wayneunit

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 11:50:05 AM »
Like @Meepledrone and @barth I prefer the C2 and have been scrambling to collect as close to a full set as possible before it is no longer available.  Having said that, the couple of C3 mini-expansions I bought from Cundco (Peasant Uprising, 15th Fest in C3 style) still play well with my C2 base game and C1 Exp 1 through 9.   

I wish HiG would instead of launching C3 have focused on completing the C2 "universe" with missing C1 mini-expansions like Plague, Tunnels etc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 12:02:32 PM »
I wish HiG would instead of launching C3 have focused on completing the C2 "universe" with missing C1 mini-expansions like Plague, Tunnels etc.

This would have been awesome! ^-^

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 12:24:04 PM »
HiG is in business to make money. If they feel that reprinting an expansion won’t be profitable, they don’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 12:38:54 PM »

As HiG is business organization usually by the law it has to generate profit. If company is not generating profit, it has to go by law (it's common in Europe) to bankruptcy.

There are also other aspect, and it is copyright, which can be an issue with Plague, because sometimes authorship is shared with magazine, where was expansion published.

And this can be problem. If magazine not gives rights for it, then HiG can do nothing, or they has to change tiles design (not just redesign to C3), change rules, etc.

Minis selling on cundco.de is different issue. When they can sell it in 5 years, it will not be reprint in short period. We can see it in Markets of Leipzig for example.

Festival and German Castles are popular minis and they were reprinted.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Was the C1 version of Hills and Sheeps printed in like 10 copies or what?

Started by carca82

9 Replies
Last post October 01, 2022, 12:35:38 PM
by carca82
xx
Can Land Surveyors be printed on paper?

Started by Carcassonne0123

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2020, 07:38:47 AM
by Carcassonne0123
xx
Dragon and printed sheep

Started by Whaleyland

1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2020, 08:07:16 AM
by Meepledrone
question
Spiel Promo tiles - art style(s)

Started by cicerunner

14 Replies
Last post February 06, 2020, 05:04:22 AM
by Murphy013
xx
[WTS] King and Scout, Count of Carcassonne, River II (Old Style)

Started by raged_norm

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 07:50:50 AM
by danisthirty