Author Topic: My first time(s) playing maps  (Read 1112 times)

ac1982

My first time(s) playing maps
« on: April 13, 2022, 03:17:49 PM »
Hi there, I solo played with the UK map a couple of times and while I undoubtedly enjoyed it I need some clarification before playing with some other people.
  • When does the game end? I guess it ends when there are no more tiles to play? Rules say for the UK maps 90-100 tiles are needed. I used base game + expansion 1 + expansion 2 for a total of 114 and at the end I had the entire North Scotland still untouched. This leads to the next question:
  • Is it normal to find yourself with lots of unusable tiles? Both games I played, 5/6 tiles belonged to no place at all. Or did they? Third question:
  • Look at the pic attached below: I added a tile under Edimburgh, "activating" the big city. Now I can add a tile in the A spot. But can I also add a tile in the B spot? The rules say "From now on, everybody can place a tile next to the city tile" but then a CCCC big city is used and my doubt is therefore not solved.

Here's another pic, just to show how it only took two games to basically unify all of Ireland and North Ireland under one enormous city-state where all the people live happy and free. Not bad for a board game. In the same pic you can also see the "unexplored North" and the tiles I couldn't find a way to place.

Final score of this game was a perfect 400.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5879.0

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
Re: My first time(s) playing maps
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »
Great report and photos.  Thanks & merit!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 04:41:14 PM »
Thansk for sharing this nice game!

Hi there, I solo played with the UK map a couple of times and while I undoubtedly enjoyed it I need some clarification before playing with some other people.
  • When does the game end? I guess it ends when there are no more tiles to play? Rules say for the UK maps 90-100 tiles are needed. I used base game + expansion 1 + expansion 2 for a total of 114 and at the end I had the entire North Scotland still untouched. This leads to the next question:
  • Is it normal to find yourself with lots of unusable tiles? Both games I played, 5/6 tiles belonged to no place at all. Or did they? Third question:
  • Look at the pic attached below: I added a tile under Edimburgh, "activating" the big city. Now I can add a tile in the A spot. But can I also add a tile in the B spot? The rules say "From now on, everybody can place a tile next to the city tile" but then a CCCC big city is used and my doubt is therefore not solved.

1) The game ends when thee are no more tiles left to draw and place. Since maps have a limited number spaces for tiles, you should play with less tiles than available spaces on the map.

2) You may find more tile with invalid placement than in a normal game due to the constraints imposed by the map bordes.

3) Yes, you should be allowed to place a tile on spot B. The rules indicate you have to connect the lage city tile to the tiles in the playing are. There are no restrictions about edge type to be first connected (it could be an field or a road edge) or the other fields that can be extended (a city, a field, or a road edge).
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

ac1982

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 05:39:54 AM »
Thank you for solving my doubts!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 03:26:08 AM »
Always a pleasure! ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Elapsed time playing league games.

Started by loki

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2015, 07:17:24 AM
by rfielder
clip
First time Fan-expansions: The Lake and Wells

Started by BT

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 10:43:16 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Essen - My First Time

Started by wallaceprime

12 Replies
Last post October 15, 2022, 09:13:21 AM
by Willem
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: First Edition, First Print with 70-point scoreboard

Started by Perimones

45 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 01:52:37 AM
by Decar