Author Topic: Meepleflags (available again on Cundco)  (Read 3523 times)

Offline The-Edge

• Duke
  • Merit: 35
    • View Profile
Meepleflags (available again on Cundco)
« on: January 20, 2022, 11:20:55 PM »
I would like to buy the set of meeple flags but they have been on sale for a week at cundco and have not been available since. I have emailed CundCo but get no response.

Are there perhaps people here who have emailed them and have contact with them about the status of the meeple flags?

I would like to hear from you.......

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5690.0
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 09:38:27 AM by The-Edge »
To meeple or not to meeple, that's the question

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
Re: Meepleflags (Currently not available)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:26:36 PM »
Meepleflags was out of stock very fast and HiG won’t produce more I think… sad…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Weetek23

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • Always ready of one more ... tile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 12:10:29 AM »
I frantically grabbed one copy of yellow flags during the Advent sale rush without even noticing the colour variants. They sold out within few hours and are not available since then. I got an impression, though, that they will produce more copies soon. To have one set does not make much sence  ;D
I was dissapointed after their delivery to see what I initially regarded as incomplete painting but then I was advised that there was a foil over some flags.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 03:17:30 AM »
I think their line on them at the time (i.e. the day they sold them all) was that there should be a second lot that will become available at some point, but they couldn't say when.

I'll be sure to share anything I hear about when this might end up being in the meantime.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 08:41:57 AM »
Not exactly the same, but these are still available: https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/meeple-flags-for-carcassonne

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 09:21:58 AM »
These are the C1-ish ones that inspired the ones sold by CundCo...

This was posted by StarFlicker on Reddit. He is the guy from The Game Crafter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Carcassonne/comments/p6gr2h/after_a_couple_of_years_i_have_now_contributed_an/
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »
Ok, I have to give my critique and say the original ones are vastly superior. The flags released by HiG have several major downsides to them:

• low readibality due to numbers being cut out from the wood with no contrast color. This also depends on the flag color, but all of them are harder to read than original flags even in optimal lighting conditions.
  • multiple colors. This is a rather jarring design choice. The flags do not need to have colors corresponding to the player because they are attached to the scoring figure which already is color-coded. This inflates the price of the product and that applies not only for completionists, but to everyone who wants to make use of the flags for all players. This is exacerbated by the low stocks of the product. They really should have made them in just one neutral color.
  • they pose a threat to your Carcassonne collection. The new flags can damage the other game components via no less than three design choices:
    1) they are tight - the attachment method employed by the flags creates a great amount of friction which strips the meeples of their color over extended use because you are meant to slide the on and off repeatedly. I have deteced first signs of damage after only 5 exchanges.
    2) dey stains - the colored flags are dyed, but do not posses any clear coat like the meeples do, so the dye leeches out and stains nearby objests such as scoring meeples or tiles or your fingers.
    3) soot stains - the flags are laser cut from the wood, so the edges are covered in charred carbon, which stains the scoring meeple. Even worse, the carbon covers any other game material if you keep the flags near it. It also covers your fingers when you are changing them or keeping score and you then transfer the soot onto your tiles.

Points 1), 2) and 3) are also problems to an extent in the originals, but are not as intense. 1) The carboard is more maleable than wood so the tightness can be adjusted. 2) carboard has printed decorations and doesn't stain anything. 3) carboard flags are thinner and so the soot layer is smaller.

One saving grace is that the expansion comes with one meeple of the flag's color, so you are given an extra scoring meeple to take the brunt of the damage.

In conclusion, I simply cannot recommend the new meeple flags in good faith, no matter how much I like them as a concept :(
Using the scoring tiles or any viable alternative should be preferred if you care about the state of your game components.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:32:26 AM by DIN0 »

Offline The-Edge

• Duke
  • Merit: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 12:40:07 PM »
I did find the meeple flags from game crafter, it is just easier for me to buy them in germany. (with shipping etc)
Im must buy them aswell for my overseas friends, who also want them and maybe i must wait a little longer before they will be online again.
Have patience they said.........

Thank you all for the response

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 01:34:28 PM »
Points 1), 2) and 3) are also problems to an extent in the originals, but are not as intense. 1) The carboard is more maleable than wood so the tightness can be adjusted. 2) carboard has printed decorations and doesn't stain anything. 3) carboard flags are thinner and so the soot layer is smaller.

It was my understanding from watching the video at The Gamecrafter that his flags are also laser-cut from wood.

I ordered a set in order to have them for my collection, but I don't expect I will use them, as my d10 method is superior.

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 02:39:43 PM »
They are indeed laser-cut, but the material should be cardboard based on some reviews of Game crafter's product I have watched/read.

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 03:43:28 PM »

It was my understanding from watching the video at The Gamecrafter that his flags are also laser-cut from wood.

I ordered a set in order to have them for my collection, but I don't expect I will use them, as my d10 method is superior.

What is your D10 Method?

Offline gamgeefan2

• Duke
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 04:33:33 PM »
I was dissapointed after their delivery to see what I initially regarded as incomplete painting but then I was advised that there was a foil over some flags.

Glad I'm not the only one who asked them about the "incomplete painting".   ;)

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 11:28:50 PM »

What is your D10 Method?
I bought some d10 in the same colours as the meeples. Each time you lap the board, turn the d10 to the next number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 01:16:58 AM »
What is D10?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 01:18:04 AM »
A 10-sided die. Normal dice are d6.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:20:50 AM by Meepledrone »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Cundco wooden meeples full set again??

Started by DrMeeple

14 Replies
Last post July 26, 2019, 12:43:13 PM
by DrMeeple
xx
wikicarpedia is down - IT'S UP AGAIN

Started by aenima

26 Replies
Last post March 05, 2023, 11:53:05 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
What make you to buy expansions over and over again

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 11:56:02 AM
by Guesclin
xx
Let the Madness Commence (again)

Started by danisthirty

12 Replies
Last post October 26, 2018, 08:57:53 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
Dangit, they changed the artwork AGAIN??

Started by Just a Bill

1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2018, 06:37:45 AM
by ny1050220