Author Topic: Must Have C2 expansions for C1 Collector  (Read 2203 times)

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
Must Have C2 expansions for C1 Collector
« on: December 28, 2021, 02:30:54 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I've been a C1 collector only since 2007 and just topped up my collection in the last few weeks with Big Box 5 (Finally got C1 hills and sheep after not getting it when it came out), The Minis and a few other mini expansions.

I keep wondering, even though I don't want to start collecting C2, whether I should get expansion 10 Under The Big Top even though the artwork doesn't match. But just not sure.

Question is, for any of you who are much more in the know than I am, are there any C2 expansions that are must have's that even as a C1 collector I shouldn't miss out on? Would you recommend getting expansion 10 or any of the mini expansions currently available on Cundco etc? Or should I keep it C1 only? Would love to hear your thoughts! :-D

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5634.0

Offline jacky1st2016

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Must Have C2 expansions for C1 Collector
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 03:58:24 AM »
C2 must be collected. You are a collector, so you can't let go of any chance.

Offline jacky1st2016

• Villein
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 03:59:22 AM »
Extensions with rules are very fascinating.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 04:19:10 AM »
I may be biased as a C1/C2/C3? collector...

I would get C2 Exp. 10 and any new mini not released in C1. Three of them (if you consider the PnP ones) will not work to their full potential in C1, since they rely on some symbols added in C2, but you can house rule to also consider the small cottages found in C1 farms:
* The Markets of Leipzig: Tanners quarter bonus will need to be adapted for C1
* The Tollkeepers: the tollhouse scoring will need to be adapted for C1
* The Land Surveyors: the Peasant Uprising scoring tile will need to be adapted for C1.

I liked very much The Watchtowers, The Signposts and The Gifts for example.

BTW, did you add and PnP expansions to your collection? The City Gates and the Fortune Teller are very nice.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 04:21:11 AM »
 Well, it's a rabbit hole... Collecting C1 only has the advantage of beeing able to have a complete collection. Starting C2 (and/or C3 now) is a never-ending task since there's at least two new releases every year, that's a choice you have to make :yellow-meeple:

Personally, I collect only stuffs I will use, so I do not try to get different versions of the same expansion. I have C2 (or 3) of everything existing in C2, and C1 only for stuffs that doesn't exist in C2. Mixing them isn't a problem for me.

Exp 10 is great by the way  ;)

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 05:01:42 AM »
I may be biased as a C1/C2/C3? collector...

I would get C2 Exp. 10 and any new mini not released in C1. Three of them (if you consider the PnP ones) will not work to their full potential in C1, since they rely on some symbols added in C2, but you can house rule to also consider the small cottages found in C1 farms:
* The Markets of Leipzig: Tanners quarter bonus will need to be adapted for C1
* The Tollkeepers: the tollhouse scoring will need to be adapted for C1
* The Land Surveyors: the Peasant Uprising scoring tile will need to be adapted for C1.

I liked very much The Watchtowers, The Signposts and The Gifts for example.

BTW, did you add and PnP expansions to your collection? The City Gates and the Fortune Teller are very nice.

Thanks for your advice, I'm looking at placing an order with Cundco, but trying to keep the postage low, so trying to find suggestions for best expansions, so thanks.
I saw the PNP expansions, and really wanted to add them, but as a perfectionist i've put it off as I get too stressed over stuffing it up. Are there any particularly good guides for making them? I did see a guy was selling them already done on BGG, but not sure if its worth it.

Thanks for everyone else's replies so far. I'll look into getting exp 10. But specifically trying to not go down the rabbit hole, so trying to narrow down the best/most worthwhile expansions. :-D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 05:03:15 AM by chris6507 »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 05:11:46 AM »
No problem! I tried to keep my collection small, but there is a tiny voice in your head suggesting new stuff to get... >:D

You may find a couple of threads about printing tiles:

* Tutorial on printing fan expansions on adhesive paper applied to blank tiles:

https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=31.0

* Experience and hints on printing fan expansions directly on blank tiles:

https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4380.0

Offline unclewill

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 12:20:59 PM »
Hi chris6507,

I recommend 'Fruit-bearing Trees' as an attractive and fun expansion; it is my favourite C2 mini. If you like the collecting aspect of Goldmines or Traders you will really enjoy the focussed activity that Fruit trees adds.

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Fruit-Bearing_Trees

I started off with C2 but as I became more aware of the game I realised I preferred C1 for its aesthetics but also the fact that it was finite! I sold off all my C2 except for a couple of minis that didn't exist in C1 or that I haven't manage to get yet: Watchtowers, Festival 15... but Fruit trees is the pick of the bunch.

I would do a postage comparison with and without Expansion 10 as including a box might do horrible things to your postage.

Cheers!

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 10:47:37 PM »
Hi chris6507,

I recommend 'Fruit-bearing Trees' as an attractive and fun expansion; it is my favourite C2 mini. If you like the collecting aspect of Goldmines or Traders you will really enjoy the focussed activity that Fruit trees adds.

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Fruit-Bearing_Trees

I started off with C2 but as I became more aware of the game I realised I preferred C1 for its aesthetics but also the fact that it was finite! I sold off all my C2 except for a couple of minis that didn't exist in C1 or that I haven't manage to get yet: Watchtowers, Festival 15... but Fruit trees is the pick of the bunch.

I would do a postage comparison with and without Expansion 10 as including a box might do horrible things to your postage.

Cheers!

I completely agree with unclewill: The Fruit Bearing Trees is a must have. We adore it. If you had to pick only one: this is it!!

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 11:37:18 PM »
You absolutely forgot this amazing expansion which totaly change game stratege:

Barber Surgeons

A lot of players forgot to mention this expansion, but it's amazing. You can get extra bonus for city or road. But you can stack your or other players meeples in Bads when in turn is scoring only one player for finished features.

As I mention, this game mechanic totaly change game strategy, because you are always preparing scoring where will be scored more than 1 meeple. And oppocite players can be "bad" and close your road with your meeple and move your meeple to empty bads.

Very nice expansion!
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 02:21:54 AM »
Well I decided to stop twiddling my thumbs and just bit the bullet and bought most things I was on the fence about. Ended up getting The Watchtowers, Fruit-Bearing Trees, Festival 15, Barber-Surgeons & Castle In Germany. Didn't get signposts yet as adding that quadrupled the postage cost. Also ordered Under the Big Top and 20th Anniversary to top it off.
I was supposed to be being good and saving money this week and have now gone and spend over $200 on Carcassonne!  :-[

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 02:27:42 AM »
Well I decided to stop twiddling my thumbs and just bit the bullet and bought most things I was on the fence about. Ended up getting The Watchtowers, Fruit-Bearing Trees, Festival 15, Barber-Surgeons & Castle In Germany. Didn't get signposts yet as adding that quadrupled the postage cost. Also ordered Under the Big Top and 20th Anniversary to top it off.
I was supposed to be being good and saving money this week and have now gone and spend over $200 on Carcassonne!  :-[

I am sure, all this will make your Carcassonne heart very happy!!  :) (forget money and reason) you really should be happy, you bought wonderfull stuff! Enjoy!

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 05:32:30 AM »

Don't worry, that happens to the best of us  ;) more often than I would like to admit

Great list of new expansions you got! I can only echo what others have said in terms of which are nice to play. Exp 10 was the first thing I got in C2 (or was it watchtowers?), and all the mini's see regular play here
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2021, 05:46:20 AM »
You'll have to try all the minis to decide which ones you like most. Even if one or two are not to your liking, you will never feel the doubt you left something out you should have tried. >:D

There is no rational angle to this. Just enjoy... The fun starts as soon as your receive your haul and proceed to punch out the tiles and think about how to combine them in your head. :)

Well, you can start even earlier by checking their rules: >:D
https://wikicarpedia.com/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:48:16 AM by Meepledrone »

Online Weetek23

• Vassal
  • Always ready of one more ... tile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »
Starting to play early in the 2000s, I initially built up my collection as a visually coherent C1. And yet, when I refreshed my passion for the game two years back thanks to my sons growing old enough to enjoy it with me, after we quickly tested all nine C1 expansions, I rushed to a board games shop to buy Under the Big Top, not worrying about its C2 art at all. However, since then, I started to fill the gaps in my collection and instinctively, we now tend to play either C1 or C2 games, seldom mixing them.

But certainly I am happy that we embraced 10th expansion together with previous nine that are of C1 art. If I had to pick one C2 mini that should not be missed by a hardcore C1 player, I´d vote for The Markets of Leipzig while my younger son would insist on The fruit-bearing trees.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB: The Collector’s Case, Plushie Meeple, Jelly Meeple, etc.

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 06:07:08 AM
by asp204
xx
Wind roses - may or must

Started by Maj. Frost

2 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 12:08:18 AM
by Decar
xx
What to buy next? A capitalist 'must spend now' topic

Started by Valheru

26 Replies
Last post April 25, 2016, 09:38:40 AM
by Paul
xx
Must or may - The Princess (The Princess and The Dragon)

Started by Windekind

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 04:20:10 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Song Parody Request Thread (Must be Carcassonne Related)

Started by Big Guy

14 Replies
Last post August 25, 2013, 10:20:14 PM
by Paul