Author Topic: Down the C1 Rabbit Hole  (Read 2259 times)

Offline totec55

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
    • View Profile
Down the C1 Rabbit Hole
« on: February 18, 2021, 12:29:17 PM »
So, as I stated before in a previous post, I was not planning to expand into the C1 world. I started playing right when C2 came out and just kept with that..up until recently (I must admit, I'm really liking the old art style. I find it appealing to the eyes while not as busy as C2).

I bought a copy of the C1 base game and decided to track down the River 1 and 2 as that is a must for most of our games. While doing so, I ended up coming across a Big Box 3 with many extras for $190 USD. Considering they generally sell on Ebay for $100-200 without extras, I jumped on it!

It arrived today and is in pristine shape! Very happy to have picked up "Der Tunnel' and "Die Katharer" with it. Two expansions I had decided I would probably never own based on their usual going price.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5065.0

Offline meepleater

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Down the C1 Rabbit Hole
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 01:05:54 PM »
So it begins...

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 01:48:43 PM »
That looks like a great deal you got!
Congrats!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 06:46:58 PM »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 01:03:44 AM »
I started collecting C2 only but I came cross a deal like and ended up getting al C1... You can't help it...  :o

Congrats!  >:D
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 01:24:29 AM »
That's a nice find ! And a really good price considering it came with the tunnels and Cathars ! (not to mention the count, river II and the 6 minis)  :yellow-meeple:

I collected CI first, then CII and kept CI stuffs only for those not existing in CII. So now I have every official expansions, minis and promos that ever existed, CII for those existing in CII, CI fot the others. (http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4658.0)

And still some CI stuffs to sell  ;)
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4582.0

Offline totec55

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 08:30:35 AM »
It definitely has begun! I may need to get away from the keyboard for a few days so I do not spend anymore money on Carcassonne  ;D.

That is a fine collection corinthiens13. I'm only a little envious of your complete set of Spiel Essen tiles! I still need to track down a 2017 and 2018. Also, am I seeing the "City Gates" expansion at the top right? If so, how do you like the game play? Would you recommend printing a full set for play?

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 11:42:26 AM »
It definitely has begun! I may need to get away from the keyboard for a few days so I do not spend anymore money on Carcassonne  ;D.

That is a fine collection corinthiens13. I'm only a little envious of your complete set of Spiel Essen tiles! I still need to track down a 2017 and 2018. Also, am I seeing the "City Gates" expansion at the top right? If so, how do you like the game play? Would you recommend printing a full set for play?

The spiel tiles were a long (and costly) quest  :yellow-meeple:

As for the city gates, I really like to play with it, but you have to chose the expansions you mix it with by considering that the city gates :
  • makes tile placement easier (as they may be placed next to a field, a road or another city gate), so don't play them with bridge as they have the same effect
  • adds a lot of city segments, I suggest adding expansions increasing roads value and the number of roads tiles to balance the game (ferries, tollkeepers, German cathedrals, peasant revolt)

And sadly there's no CII version  :-\

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 12:59:18 PM »
That's a nice find ! And a really good price considering it came with the tunnels and Cathars ! (not to mention the count, river II and the 6 minis)  :yellow-meeple:

I collected CI first, then CII and kept CI stuffs only for those not existing in CII. So now I have every official expansions, minis and promos that ever existed, CII for those existing in CII, CI fot the others. (http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4658.0)

Wow. I'm impressed.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 01:12:01 PM »

Wow. I'm impressed.

But I'm by far not the greatest completionist, see here:  :yellow-meeple:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4854.msg71504#msg71504

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 01:40:24 PM »
No matter what you say or think, you will always find someone pushing the limits even further...

What about Willem collecting the Wheel of Fortune in all available languages? Check reply #2687 and then reply #2691... :o

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1205.msg70129#msg70129

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 01:43:37 PM »
Another example: BigBoss and shop displays...  >:D

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4403.0

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
No matter what you say or think, you will always find someone pushing the limits even further...

I'm not looking to push any limits, but being able to have all the tiles would be nice. It's cool when my kids pause to look at the detail of a card and appreciate the artistry that goes into it. -  :pink-meeple:

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »
That's cool! Let's see the Easter eggs in the 20th Anniversary edition...  ;D

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 12:45:33 AM »

What about Willem collecting the Wheel of Fortune in all available languages? Check reply #2687 and then reply #2691... :o

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1205.msg70129#msg70129

:)) Yeah, once you start saying you want to 'complete' your collection, there is no end. BigBoss has been collecting a lot of very interesting Carcassonne items, such as the shop displays, and the special packaging that was once available.
I try to think what I have now is complete, although I say that a lot and usually find something new.
I did have lots of fun over the last year trying to collect everything that was older. Tracking down older expansions, trying to get a good price, that was a lot of fun for me, and then getting to play them and changing the game was the added bonus!
Now I don't actively look for much, as there's not much I want to add to my collection, other than anything new that comes out. (And I do still get everything new they release).
But occasionally an offer for something interesting comes along, and I usually can't say no. Like how Carcatronn sold sets of AoC a while back, including the rubberised scoreboard, or  when I came across the new Polish version of The Castle for a good price on eBay..

Moral of the story is... It's a deep rabbit hole, if you want it to be  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Can your postman dig a hole through the Earth to make Cundco shipping cheaper?

Started by Whaleyland

8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 12:03:13 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Shut Up & Sit Down: Carcassonne review

Started by Jéré

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 12:43:46 PM
by Jéré
xx
Dig Down Dwarf - Kickstarter