Author Topic: The 'Alternative' World Cup League  (Read 33768 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: The 'Alternative' World Cup League
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 01:14:33 PM »
Game 21 is in the books!

jungleboy 340, SteveAllen 303

This was the QF setup with T&B, A&M, the Count, the Crop Circles and the phantom. A lot of things going on but a great combination of expansions. It was the first game I'd played with the Count in about two years, and the first time with it (obviously) on JCZ, so that took a bit of getting used to but it was fine in the end.

Steve is a Count master and he controlled most of the goings on in the City of Carcassonne, but one of the key moves in the game was me managing to complete the large city in the west without him being able to add another meeple via the City of Carcassonne. The other key factor in my favour was that I had a much better barn-farm which allowed me to win the farms despite forgetting to place my pig (having previously placed and recovered it in the barn farm) and despite Steve's best efforts to get his farmers into my barn farm for in-game farm points. We both played our abbeys pretty early for marginal benefits so this wasn't a huge factor in the game. I led for most of the second half of the game and although Steve just overtook me right at the end, I knew I had the end-game farm scoring significantly in my favour so even though Steve won the trade goods 20-10, I had enough points to get home.

Thanks for the game Steve and for setting up this tournament! 

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50:28 AM »
I'd prefer to play between 12h30 and 14h00 (GMT) on working days, but I should be able to schedule on late evenings.

Just send a pm or pop out in the Slack Channel.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 05:35:05 AM »
I can play tomorrow at that time.  Chooselife - you up for it?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
Sure!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 05:57:23 AM »
Well that was an interesting game! 

I led the whol;e way through and kept taking Pedros meeples with the tower - this was all down to lucky tile draws at this point.  pedro kept up within 20-30 points and int he closing tiles i thought he was going to take it as he completely dominated the farms.  However, the secret weapon was there lurking in the background - ON MY SIDE!  my German Monastery Abbotts brought me in a hefty 40 points and as a result i got the win. 

Thanks chooselife for a great game.  You many notice no scores from the goldmines - that was because they didnt allow us to place or collect any gold.  We decided to carry on anyway.
Chooselife started
Rosco 202   :red-meeple: - Chooselife 155  :yellow-meeple:

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
A good trick by Chooselife to a) beat me, and b) make me do the write-up. If he wasn't my postman I don't think I would have allowed either of those two things to happen.

Chooselife 267, jungleboy 207 (Game 14: SF configuration)

In a nutshell, Chooselife destroyed me on goldmines (14-0 - I have always been terrible at goldmines), and used his tower pieces to good effect early in the game. I saved some tower pieces to the end which allowed me to pick off his farmers and dominate farm scoring, but it wasn't enough. As always, I struggled with the JCZ tower implementation, not realising several times that my meeples had already been kidnapped and twice misunderstanding the line of sight and building tower pieces in the wrong spot!

Congratulations Chooselife!

Meanwhile, @TheSteveAllen, could you strikethrough the games that have been played in the original post so it's easier to see what's left?

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 11:36:02 AM »
Meanwhile, @TheSteveAllen, could you strikethrough the games that have been played in the original post so it's easier to see what's left?

The fixture list has now been updated to include the scores of matches played so far.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 03:53:15 PM »
Guys - I appear to have found a small bug in the set-up for the final, which needs to be investigated.

Could you therefore please hold off playing games 1 to 8 until this issue has been resolved.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »
An hour ago Chooselife and I started with match 25 of this awesome AWCLeague  :))

It was a great game and Chooselife and me were constantly competing with current scores. Then he scored something then I did. And score kept staying the same.
I tried sometimes to sneak into his city but failed hard with one. You can see the shame for me at the lowest abbey. Well you can guess where Chooselife his  :yellow-meeple: would have standed. While my mayor was standing in that small city under the abbey :'(.
Halfway in the game there was only been 1  :violet-meeple: in the City of Carcassonne. In the end I was able to get another one in and put it on the marktplace, wich resulted me getting a meeple on a farm where Chooselife was standing to  >:D.

I found it an great game. Sadly to say this was my first game with Crop Cirkels, as I haven't been able yet to try them that good out at home.
But they bring a lot of fun into the game :))

The Final score was: Chooselife 248 VS Sinscerly 300
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »
Although nobody has yet 'qualified' in that they have not played one of each type of set up yet, I thought that it might be a good idea to illustrate the 'league table' using the 4 matches so far, so that competitors better understand how the competition works.

Scores to date and theoretical table look like this:-

I hope that this clarified how the scoring will work once competitors start to qualify.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »
Sadly that I haven't qualified me. I thought with that single match I would win the hole League :'(
But I am off for a week, so if you don't get a response you know.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 04:58:45 AM »
Hello dudes,

Just back from a shortbreak and ready to play.  Who's available next Monday evening around 20:00-21:00 CET?

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »
Still up for a game tonight Thomas?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »

Hi Halfling I have only my phone and that one is not really working well in the conditions of the weather there are here(minus 21 in night and around midday -14 tommorrow). So sadly enough no. Next week I can play, will tell all when I am at home ;)

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »

If I'm the Thomas you're asking....well...I am now but I guess you're playing against the one and only very old theSteveAllen...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:11:34 AM by thodekey »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?

Started by Halfling

29 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 01:30:05 PM
by Decar
xx
@CundCo-Shop: Under The Big Top - Ringmasters in alternative colors

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2019, 08:02:39 AM
by DrMeeple
clip
Alternative rules for the black death expansion

Started by dunsany

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2023, 10:01:31 AM
by dunsany
xx
Alternative Abbot Colours from Cundco

Started by Decar

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 04:27:23 PM
by dirk2112
xx
Anyone Else Addicted to Alternative Art?

Started by AMeepleIsYou

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2017, 09:46:55 AM
by AMeepleIsYou