Author Topic: The Status of La Porxada  (Read 8242 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: The Status of La Porxada
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
Interesting Bill, the poorly defined nature of the rules is another indicator of its dubious status.  The unanswered questions won't be answered by Hans Im Glueck either.

Fan expansions are required to be listed different and include the words:  fan-expansion in the title, to make it extremely clear as to the status of an entry.  I believe something similar should be added to the tile of La Porxada.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »
Interesting Bill, the poorly defined nature of the rules is another indicator of its dubious status.

Agreed. The more I discovered how clunky and leaky the rules were, the less it felt like a "real" part of Carcassonne. Now I do understand that apparently KJW considers it official, but La Porxada nevertheless faces multiple challenges in its struggle to appear legitimate. Only a sticker, fewer than 100 produced, disavowed by the publisher, awkward gameplay, lacking the markers it needs to track eligible players, unanswered questions, lack of good translations, lack of official rules support, underwhelming artwork ... it's pretty anti-elegant in most of the ways we could measure quality. A raggedy kind of tile that basically fails the Carcassonne quality test.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 01:11:54 PM »
And like I alluded too in my original post.  If La Porxada can be listed as an expansion.  Then there's no reason why Dan's Advent Calendar Tile can't be listed either:

Offline Mr Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
I think it would be helpful to change the description text and inform players that it was given out as limited stickers and not as tiles and that the stickers were signed. Beside the original and signed stickers, copies do exist, that were signed as well. Hence it is difficult to say which ones are really original if you don't know the background of a sticker. But it should be clear, that nearly all tiles that are offered nowadays are not original. Maybe La Porxada will loose attraction if people know that it only was released as a sticker  :P

In my opinion expansions like Fortune Teller are authorised expansions - former fan expansions authorised by the publisher. I think labelling La Porxada as an authorised expansion won't stop people of buying it, simply because it is "authorised".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was designed by Oriol and Klaus just accepted it or was it a coproduction? BGG states Oriol as the designer, but in the description both are mentioned. If it was designed by Oriol it should be a fan expansion.

If the publisher has not authorised it, it is unofficial. It is tricky, but in my eyes it is an unofficial fan expansion just accepted by the author  ;) I'm not sure, but I think the publisher owns all rights , hence the author can't authorise it, just accept or tolerate it.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »
And like I alluded too in my original post.  If La Porxada can be listed as an expansion.  Then there's no reason why Dan's Advent Calendar Tile can't be listed either:

I'd like to have seen KJW's reaction when Dan asked him to sign those tiles.  I wonder if he called the police afterward.   :))

Offline Yashin-n

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 12:02:47 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think the publisher owns all rights , hence the author can't authorise it, just accept or tolerate it.
It depends on conditions in copyright transfer agreement between an author and a publisher. In the beginning rights is a  property of an author and then he or she (may)  transfer (sell) it to the publisher (other person) forever or on definite period of time.
The interesting situation is for promo tiles (Spiel 14, 15, 16, 17) and Russian promos. Who is an author?  I guess this is not KJW but a designers of  the publishers. So if La Porxada was designed by Oriol  Conti for Devir and published by Devir it has the same status that promo tiles and promo expansions. I think it is not just  fan-expansion. Promo-miniexpansion is more correct (accurate) term for it that fan-expansion.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 12:19:25 AM by Yashin-n »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »
I agree with Yashin-n. I think La Porxada likely has the same legal status as other company-exclusive expansions such as the Games Quarterly expansion and Cult, Siege & Creativity from Rio Grande, and anything from Spielbox. They are not "official" Hans im Glück expansions, but they are distributed by an official distributor, in the case of La Porxada, Devir. If Devir distributed it, then it is just as official as any of the other company exclusive expansions regardless of Klaus Jürgen-Wrede or Hans im Glück. It doesn't matter if it is a sticker or a real tile. I think the best option to finally put this matter to rest is for somebody to contact Devir about the matter.

Offline Mr Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 02:44:22 AM »
If Devir distributed it, then it is just as official as any of the other company exclusive expansions regardless of Klaus Jürgen-Wrede or Hans im Glück. It doesn't matter if it is a sticker or a real tile. I think the best option to finally put this matter to rest is for somebody to contact Devir about the matter.

If Devir was authorised to publish it, I agree with Yashin-n. Really makes sense to contact Devir in this case.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 07:26:37 AM »
I don't believe they were authorized, I'm not sure it's clear they even distributed it.  I will contact Devir.  Regarding Spielebox, I believe their expansions are produced under license.  Cundco sells their magazines.  I would be surprised if HiG did not sanction the expansions they're selling.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
German Carcassonne Forum status?

Started by wolnic

17 Replies
Last post May 24, 2022, 09:26:08 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Status of Z-man Games

Started by PapaGeek

3 Replies
Last post December 01, 2021, 02:34:13 PM