Author Topic: Meeting with Gantry  (Read 12457 times)

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Meeting with Gantry
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
Not sure if this is really newsworthy, but I know that Kettlefish thinks it's a big deal so maybe it is.

Gantry and I live about 30 minutes from each other, but we'd never actually met. We're just two out of 2.5 million people who live in this part of the world. When Kettlefish decided to send him one of the surprise packages, she insisted that I had to deliver it to Gantry in person. Gantry does a lot of travelling, both for work and for fun, so it took a few weeks to find a time that would work for him. We met at a little Mexican restaurant a few blocks over from where I work, which I found interesting because I had no idea it was there and because there aren't a lot of Mexican restaurants around here.

We talked for about an hour on a variety of subjects. I brought him up to speed with regards to what's been happening with the Complete Annotated Rules, the Carcassonne Shoppe, and the work Kettlefish has been doing around the Carcassonne community (which Gantry thinks is fantastic by the way). Like myself, Gantry hasn't had an opportunity to play Carcassonne for a long time, so he feels lost when somebody is asking a rules question regarding an expansion he doesn't know anything about.

Gantry told me more about the history of Carcassonne Central. He was a regular user of BoardGameGeek, but found the forums difficult to use. (I think many of us can understand that feeling.) He tried to reach out to the guys who ran the site, but never heard anything back. Eventually, his frustration with the BGG forums led to his decision to create Carcassonne Central. He found a fan site about the game by Matt Harper, an Englishman living in Germany, and sent him an e-mail. (Matt's web site is still available here: http://carc.mjharper.de/) They collaborated on building a community around the game; Gantry was the technical "make it happen" guy, and Matt was the rules answer guy. Matt created the Complete Annotated Rules and posted it on BoardGameGeek, with a note that updates would only be available at Carcassonne Central, and only to members. Thousands of Carcassonne fans signed up just for the privilege of getting their hands on the latest version of the Complete Annotated Rules. Most never made a single post, but a core group of people arose. Some of those people moved on, and others took their place. Somewhere along the line, we started churning out fan-made expansions on a weekly basis. I feel like this coincided with a time where official expansions weren't being published by Rio Grande, and the community wanted more.

Something that we talked about was our ideas for the future of Carcassonne Central. Gantry shared some ideas with me that had been rattling around in his head. He had a few specific ideas, some of which I found appealing but I'm not sure if they're all possible. My ideas are more general: I'd like to see us back in our former glory, churning out expansions and variants on a regular basis (not necessarily weekly, but monthly would be good).

We also talked a bit about what we do for work, and interesting things we've done in the past. I used to be in a similar line of work, so it was fun for me to hear about things Gantry had been involved with, and for me to tell him about things I'd done. Some stories are only interesting to people in the same industry as you. ;D

I suspect a few people will be disappointed that we didn't play a game of Carcassonne, but that might happen in the future. We both agreed that our meeting should have happened a long time ago, and we're both interested to meet some of the other people on here as well if we're ever in your area.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=307.0
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:24:14 AM by Scott »

Offline Joff

• Authors
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting with Gantry
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »
It was about time that you guys met in person!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:24:01 PM »
Scott and Gantry,

I am so happy that you both meet each other.

One small mistake is in your report:
Matt Harper is an English man who lives around 15 years in Germany.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:58:02 PM by kettlefish »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:28:41 PM »
I agree with kettlefish: it was necessary to publish this meeting report  :)
It was very interesting to know a history of creating CarcC. Maybe it is worth to create a separate section "History of Carcassonne Central" :))
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Trebuchet

• Authors
  • Nobleman
  • Merit: 16
  • Metal Meepler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:06:47 AM »
Thanks for the report, sounds like you guys had a lot to talk about.  :)

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Merit: 18
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:02:09 AM »
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 06:24:38 AM »
One small mistake is in your report:
Matt Harper is an English man who lives around 15 years in Germany.  ;)

Fixed.

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
Jolly good times! :) I hope you had some beer too!
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
My doctor forbids it. ^-^

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Gantry and Scott - this is fantastic - I wish I had been there as well. Cudos to kettlefish for pushing you guys along :)

It would be awesome if Gantry could put together a little history of the site in his own post - that would make for a great archive. It would make for a good closing of the first chapter - as we work to write the next one!

I am glad I found the site and glad to be part of the history!
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline gantry

• Administrator
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
It was really great meeting Scott, indeed it was a long overdue meeting :D
Tobias: Scott couldn't have a beer but fortunately I could :P
He is definitely an interesting person, and I was surprised that he didn't play much either. My current gf plays Settlers and at some point in the near future I'll be introducing her to Carc. And a big thank you to Scott, kettlefish, Maik63de, Udo and HiG for the surprise package, I tried to give it back to the community but Scott insisted I take it, I am glad I did, thank you!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
1.Fan-Meeting with K-J Wrede - Bavaria - South Germany

Started by kettlefish

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 02:36:51 PM
by kettlefish
xx
4.Fan-Meeting at Burg Konradsheim - Erftstadt, Germany

Started by kettlefish

8 Replies
Last post November 26, 2015, 03:35:17 AM