Author Topic: Abbey & Mayor: counting cities at the end of the game with farms and barns  (Read 3068 times)

Offline HansLobik

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Question: we play Carcassonne only using the expansion Abbey & Mayor, according to the standard rules (I read Carcassonne – Barns Revisited, but I don't feel the necessity to play like this).
So when a barn is placed, the points for the farmers in the farm are counted and the farmers are removed.
Still at the end of the game there are farmers left on farms that are not occupied by a barn.
We still play according to the rules of the FIRST edition, when the player with the majority of adjacent farmers supplying a completed city will earn four poinths for each. Each city will as such only be scored once.

Now my question is how a city can be scored, when there are two farmers of one color adjacent to a city, and one barn of another color. Which player will get the points for that city? Or generally, which value has a barn compared to a farmer?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3052.0

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Hi HansLobik,

I haven't played First edition rules for farming often and never with barns.  But if I did; then
1. I would score the farmers using the First edition rules ignoring the barns
2. Then I would score the barns.

I see no reason why they would interact during end game scoring.

Does anyone else agree or have a better suggestion?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
I don't think you'll get an answer to this question.  The Abbey and Mayor expansion was released in 2007.  The 3rd edition rules have been in place since 2002.  I would recommend changing your farmers to use the 3rd edition scoring.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum HansLobik! :(y)

This is an interesting question, but as Decar says, I don't think there will ever be an authoratitive answer to it as the first edition farmer rules are now very old. In fact, I expect part of the reason for the two different version of farm scoring since those rules is to enable them to better fit in with subsequent expansions that hadn't been conceived of when these rules were first introduced.

Just out of interest; why do you still play with these rules when they were replaced so long ago?

Offline HansLobik

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
We got the game from a friend and a paper version of the rules was included. Until i came across this website, i wasn't even aware of the existence of different editions of the rules.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Hi  HansLobik,
please look at our Complete Annotated Rules (CAR) there you can find many informations about the farm rules and also many informations about the barn.

Here is the link to the download section:
S-CAR 7.4

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
and if you're interested in the history of the rules you can read about it on one of our completionist posts

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Bug report: Abbey placement at the end of the game

Started by MrNumbers

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 03:25:12 AM
by farin
xx
WTB: Abbey & Mayor, Hills & Sheep in "old" art style

Started by DrManhattan

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2019, 02:05:06 PM