Carcassonne Star Wars
3 (18.8%)
Over Hill and Dale
2 (12.5%)
I've not played both of the above
11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: May 21, 2016, 12:11:50 AM

Author Topic: Spinoff HeadtoHead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Spinoff HeadtoHead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale
« on: May 14, 2016, 12:11:50 AM »
Carcassonne is a great tile laying game with infinite expansionability.  It has been reduced to a travel version, reinvented as Carcassonne II, colour changed for the Winter Edition and had luck added in the Wheel of Fortune.  But these are all different flavours with the same playability as the vanilla version we all love and return to again and again.

Variants on a theme are all very well but the tile laying concept can be taken much further, and has been by Hans im Gluck and other companies too.  This series of polls is for the forum to offer thoughts on which is their preferences and why.  I am only including spinoffs by Hans im Gluck through various distributers in this series.

The poll is open for 7 days and then another will be offered up for comments.  It may well be that the 3rd option gets most votes but it'll be the spinoff with the majority that progresses to the next round.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2732.0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:08:06 PM by whaleyland, Reason: Fixed topic title. »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Spinoff Headtohead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:16:40 AM »
Still waiting to try Over Hill & Dale so I had to vote with the third option. Star Wars is okay, but probably my least favourite spin-off of those that I've tried (City, Castle, Hunters & Gatherers, New World, Ark of the Covenant – I own most of the rest but have yet to try them do to them being on another continent).

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: Spinoff Headtohead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 02:22:00 AM »
I don't own either, but will have Over Hill and Dale when Cundco get around to processing my latest order.  I have given Star Wars to 2 different family members who love the films and they enjoy the game.

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
Re: Spinoff HeadtoHead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 01:38:43 PM »
These are my 2 least favorite of all the Spin-offs I've tried.  I have both but they don't receive much play.  I played 2 games of each, but I feel as if they were both lacking something.  Star Wars is a bit more fun with the battles and how you can hop onto planets, but it still feels like it needs a little more.  Hill and Dale seems way too basic.  It almost feels like a My Second Carcassonne, a bridge between the My First Carcassonne and the Standard base game.  Collect tokens, scarecrow wild cards.  Sorry, it just seems a bit too plain and simple to me.  Star Wars wins!
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
Re: Spinoff HeadtoHead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:47 PM »
Doh, not sure how I missed this poll  :o

Tough choice, I actually would have want to vote for Hill & Dale because its gone over very well with the family and that goes a long way. I agree its more like a new flavour of vanilla.

But since its my (belated) vote  ;D

I would have voted Star Wars. Though the mechanics are similar to Carc it feels removed with the space theme. I actually would have preferred a more generic non-IP (Star Wars) theme, though they made very good use of the factions. Its not perfect but hopefully an expansion would add more interest.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Barbarian Report: Drunken Sheep Over Hill and Dale (Sheep & Hills Review)

Started by Whaleyland

9 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 12:05:33 PM
by obervet
xx
Expansions for Over Hill and Dale

Started by Farmcassonne

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2024, 04:17:02 PM
by Scott
xx
Over Hill and Dale + Shepherd.