Author Topic: Other Hobbies than board games  (Read 39027 times)

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Other Hobbies than board games
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »
It's really interesting reading through everyone's hobbies! Nice to see such a big variety of interests.

As for me, one of the more recent things I have taken up is knitting. I started doing some of the little hats for the innocent smoothie bottles to raise money for age UK and I've just finished my first person-sized hat. I'm now attempting my first pair of socks.

I also really enjoy hiking and camping and try and go cycling every now and then, although I do not get as much time for these as I would like to.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »
Nice work Curt!

If you're coming to the UK Games Expo this year you'll have to hook up with Decar's wife as she's a bit of a dab-hand at knitting too! :) :(y)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 09:27:06 PM »
Well, I guess I'm in the same boat as a lot of you.  One of my main hobbies these days is protecting my children from grave self-injury and soiled diapers.  Aside from that, my main three hobbies, the first of which being board games, are marked by much diversity. 

In a past life I sang a bit of opera.  I have little evidence to support the claim other than this, briefly and primarily around the 2:00 mark. 

I would love to get myself back into vocal shape and do more of it, but there is that matter of spare time.  I'm the guy in blue.  My avatar eludes to this as well as it is a photo me dressed for my role as the Major General in The Pirates of Penzance

I also rather enjoy discharging a variety of firearms mostly at inanimate objects.  I don't do as much of that as I'd like either largely due to the high cost of participation. 

Playing one of the below and writing and singing stuff like this...

Good stuff Endecay!  :(y)   ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:50:21 PM by CKorfmann »
Flee the fleas.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 12:18:14 AM »
Decar's wife's a bit of a dab-hand at knitting too! :) :(y)

This is an understatement.  When you active 2 spinning wheels in your lounge and have to give up the second bedroom to hold the 'stash', you'll understand.  I'm not complaining though, I have a room full of cardboard tiles depicting the French country-side and they're not so good at keeping you warm....unless set fire to them....

Great work on the hat though Curt; looks like you've got the hang of tensioning too!   It's a shame the winter is almost over  >:( but at least it will be ready for next year!

Offline gantry

• Administrator
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
This is what I like to do, exploring in my 4WD Toyota. That photo was taken in Moab Utah in 2014. We travel all over western USA and Canada.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 01:56:52 AM »
Wow gantry! That looks intense! :(y)

We had a bit of a sort out over the weekend. And now that I've got a bit of space to myself I fully intend to be spending a lot more time in "Dan's Gym" over the next few weeks/ months/ years:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:33:03 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 02:21:46 AM »
I am the GM of a play by mail football(soccer) game called Astro.  There are 20 teams in the game split across 2 divisions of 10 with managers from USA, Finland, Thailand and UK.  The game is in it's 23rd season and takes approx. 18 months to complete each season.  There will be a couple of weekends in every six where I am not thinking of Carcassonne as I am playing the matches in Astro.  The latest issue of the magazine that I produce every 6 weeks is attached, I had to delete a few pictures from the cover, so the editorial makes a bit less sense!
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2016, 02:39:03 AM »
I didnt think 4WDing was a hobby, but it makes sense when your country has wilderness like that to explore. That's fantastic! 

I'm not sure about that office chair Dan. Does someone watch you while you row - or is Intense Office Stare a new exercise!

I'm going to take a look at Astro magazine. That sounds like another good reason to love the postman!

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Merit: 18
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 10:56:34 AM »
Great thread and a thoroughly enjoyable read.  :(y)
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »
Bizarre that is me, this post fits best in this thread. :D

One of the things I love to do, sort of a part time hobby part time work thing, is going on conventions, meet ups and discovering new worlds. Today was a last minute invite to Game Developer Lounge right here in my backyard (an island called Hisingen here in Gothenburg).
  I met many new people and got in touch with (computer) game developers. Some of them where involved with big games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Need for Speed and there was also the man whose company made Kung Fury, the game, based on the short kickstarter movie where David Hasselhoff sang the lead theme (True Survivor).

One of the big shots, all the way from the United States was Kate Edwards (Executive Director for IGDA) and I got to shake hands with her and (probably the only one to) get a photo op with her! (attached image).

A great evening ending little after 10pm where I got home with new contacts and ideas when discussing some of my own projects with them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:38:55 PM by Paul »
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »
I am enthusiast of two web comics: OOTS and Erfworld.

I am into geneaology but I don't have time at the moment.

I listen to a lot of podcasts. I have my own podcast - 19 episodes so far.

I am also into very much into philosophy and unravelling the secrets of the universe - mua ha ha!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »
On Sunday I did some work for other hobbies than Carcassonne.
I've created my first own advent wreath with a big candle in the middle.
I've got really fresh fir branch from a neighbor (he cutted some of his fir trees)
and I was in the forest to get some  decoration like acorn, beechnut and fir cone
and some other stuff (not from the forest). I've put all together with wire and yarn .

Here are some photos.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:27:29 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 02:21:26 AM »
Well done kettlefish!  It looks very festive  :(y) :(y) :(y)

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 04:46:00 AM »
One of my other hobbies is writing and recording music. I'm a total amateur, but I enjoy creating and sharing anyway. I've got a handful of songs for download on my Bandcamp site. There is a love song I wrote for my wife, and a short album I did before that (album cover below).

I enjoy recording in my tiny, crowded bedroom closet, surrounded by hanging shirts, disassembled baby high chairs, and the like -- the only place where my recordings won't be full of my little daughters playing and screaming in the background. :) I've got a few newer songs kicking around and might try to record a little EP in the near future.

Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »
My other big obsession since the summer has been Pokémon GO. Hunting down all of the rare species ticks all the same collectionist boxes as tracking down rare Carcassonne expansions. :D

I have just arrived back from a trip to Australia where I caught a regionally exclusive Pokémon to complete my full Pokédex collection.

Gotta catch 'em all!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Archived Other Games Board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 11:54:54 AM
by gantry
clip
Topics: old board to new board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 07:12:03 PM
by gantry
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
xx
Can a Tower Floor capture more than one meeple?

Started by PapaGeek

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2022, 11:25:07 AM
by Meepledrone