Poll

Which of these options best sums up your opinion towards, and experience with, Carcassonne II?

I like Carcassonne II and I have bought the base game and/or some expansions.
23 (22.5%)
I don't really like Carcassonne II but I still bought the base game and/or some expansions.
7 (6.9%)
I don't like Carcassonne II and I won't buy anything with this artwork.
34 (33.3%)
I don't like Carcassonne II, but I will buy any future unique expansions with this artwork.
22 (21.6%)
I don't have a strong opinion either way about Carcassonne II.
11 (10.8%)
Other (please explain below).
5 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Carcassonne II opinion poll  (Read 48707 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne II opinion poll
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2016, 04:14:42 AM »
So, over 20% of people who answered this poll said that they didn't like Carcassonne II but would buy new expansions in the new artwork, while over 40% said they didn't like Carcassonne II and wouldn't buy anything in the new artwork. With the 10th major expansion on the way in the new artwork only and a mini-expansion in the new artwork to be included in the new Big Box (according to this thread), we'll have to see if people do what they said they'd do or if they change their minds. Perhaps it depends on how good these new expansions are.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2016, 06:10:40 AM »
If the big money players (the guys and gals who buy every expansion) reject Carc II, it will become a New Coke situation.  I doubt that will happen as the new game seems to be selling ok.

Ever notice classic games being re-released in their old style?  Right now I can go to Target and buy 1950s Risk, Sorry, Clue, etc.  I imagine in 20 years, old will be new again, and at least the base game will be released as "Classic Carcassonne - with the River 6".

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2016, 06:35:37 AM »
If the big money players (the guys and gals who buy every expansion) reject Carc II, it will become a New Coke situation.  I doubt that will happen as the new game seems to be selling ok.

I don't think Carc 2.0 is marketed at the big money players though. We've already bought everything, so they don't get any money from us until they release new stuff for us to buy. By giving the basic game an overhaul they can broaden their appeal to newer gamers who might feel that classic Carc looks a little dated after 16 years. I don't necessarily agree with this, but I think it makes sense financially, and based on what I've seen from a new generation of Carcassonne players on Twitter and Facebook, most of them are thrilled to bits with their latest purchase and are enjoying the artwork.

As loyal and enthusiastic as we are, hardcore fans like us are not where the money's at. If they can't keep the game alive without money then I'm all for them doing whatever they need to in order to keep the expansions coming regardless of who illustrated the tiles.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2016, 06:51:45 AM »

I don't think Carc 2.0 is marketed at the big money players though. We've already bought everything, so they don't get any money from us until they release new stuff for us to buy. By giving the basic game an overhaul they can broaden their appeal to newer gamers who might feel that classic Carc looks a little dated after 16 years. I don't necessarily agree with this, but I think it makes sense financially, and based on what I've seen from a new generation of Carcassonne players on Twitter and Facebook, most of them are thrilled to bits with their latest purchase and are enjoying the artwork.

I wonder how many folks only bought the new game because of the new art.  I can't imagine the original artwork precluding someone from purchasing the original game.  I am way late to the party and ended up with the old artwork not knowing there was new artwork.  I probably would have been just as happy if I received the new artwork instead.  Until I saw the old artwork of course :P

In the end it was a business decision and you are correct that they have alreasy made money from all of you. 

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 29, 2016, 01:27:38 AM »
I'm (fairly) fairly sure I haven't posted in this thread yet, and it's because I've been having an argument with myself (as is my habit of doing, noted by Jungleboy in the Completion post on Shrines) about what to do. The argument goes a little like this:

Christopher: I MUST BUY CARCASSONNE 2 BECAUSE IT'S CARCASSONNE!
Christopher: Don't be daft, it's the base game and you already have the base game.
Christopher: I MUST BUY CARCASSONNE 2 BECAUSE OF THE ABBOTS!
Christopher: Don't be daft, sooner or later the Abbots will be available separately. Probably. Also, you're not a fan of the art.
Christopher: That's true. I suppose I could wait for a Big Box in the new art.
Christopher: But then you'd be buying all of the expansions you already have. Pointless. Plus, you'd have no where to store them because you don't like storing things in a big box.
Christopher: What if I buy all of them separately then, and store them in the base game box? Or buy the base game AND a big box?
Christopher: At great expense? To buy games you already have? And have two copies of the new base game??
Christopher: Then I'll have a set of Abbots for the old collection!
Christopher: Now you're being daft again.
Christopher: But now it seems to have been confirmed that the next big expansion will only be available in the new art. And I'll have to buy that, which means I'll need the base game to play it with. And then I'll need all of the other expansions because I might want to play with those and the new expansion.
Christopher: You can just buy the new expansion, and play it with the other expansions in the old art. After all, they are backwards compatible owing to the backs of the tiles being the same. *cough*
Christopher: But all of the new art expansions have gardens to be compatible with the Abbot. Even if we somehow manage to get hold of some Abbot followers, they'll only be compatible with the latest expansion!
Christopher: ... Shoot, I hadn't thought of that. Good point.
Christopher: And even if we do buy ALL of the old expansions in the new art, they won't be printing things like tunnels and plague in the new art. So if we wanted to play Mega-Carcassonne, we'll still have to mix old and new!
Christopher: And which will we play with typically?? Old or new?? We can't let the old copies gather dust, but if we like the new expansion and want to play with that often, we'll need gardens... WHAT DO WE DO??

As you can see, I haven't got very far.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2016, 01:33:42 AM »
Shut up and buy it already!

:)

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2016, 01:48:15 AM »
Guess I'll buy the new big box with all new art. For 35 € here in Germany it's worth it no matter what

And I already bought 2 Big boxes, so why not 3 :)
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2016, 01:49:50 AM »

Nooo! Keep holding out!

:)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2016, 02:00:51 AM »

Nooo! Keep holding out!

Hold out for what? Carc 2.0 isn't going away.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2016, 02:20:12 AM »

Nooo! Keep holding out!

I know, I was just kidding around to try to confuse Christopher some more.

What I really meant was 'Don't cave in', although of course if he wants to buy Carc 2.0 then that's entirely up to him.

Not that this keeps me up at night, but on a general level I hope that if people don't like it, they won't go out and buy it just 'because it's Carcassonne'. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, don't buy it. The most powerful way that consumers can let product makers know what they like is by voting with their wallet. But if people keep buying things they don't like, it will encourage producers to make more of these 'unliked' products. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another field unrelated to collecting in which people would knowingly purchase something they already knew that they did not like.

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2016, 02:27:35 AM »

Nooo! Keep holding out!

I know, I was just kidding around to try to confuse Christopher some more.

I think my head may explode. Either that, or a third opinion will break away and form a splinter group.

Christopher: Buy all of the separate expansions AND the Big Box! Mwhahahaha!

Offline Gabrielgeek01

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2016, 06:07:21 AM »
On an unrelated note, you don't need gardens to play with the Abbott. Just use the much nicer and thematic vineyards. There's plenty of them, too if you combine Hills and Sheep, River III    and Halflings II

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2016, 06:44:31 AM »
On an unrelated note, you don't need gardens to play with the Abbott. Just use the much nicer and thematic vineyards. There's plenty of them, too if you combine Hills and Sheep, River III    and Halflings II

Unless you also want to play with vineyards. And that's still only three expansions out of [whatever the total number of Carcassonne expansions is] that will have them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
thumbup
What is your opinion towards buying/selling Carcassonne new/old artwork?

Started by thodekey

13 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 12:25:44 AM
by thodekey
xx
A personal opinion about barns

Started by PapaGeek

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2021, 02:32:10 AM
by DIN0
exclamation
Why endless expansions? Playing the Original - An opinion