Author Topic: The Wonders of Humanity – Rules  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Wonders of Humanity – Rules
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 04:17:46 AM »
No problem!

There is some contoversy aound the wonder tiles due to their size. For the time being, we should follow the clarifications followed for double-sized tiles regarding the dragon and the fairy.

Regarding the "marker meeple", it doesn't behave like a meeple at all. They could have added a token per player but I assume that due to cost savings (laziness?), they told us o add an additional meeple o any unused player figure to mark the feature. In any case, the "marker meeple" cannot be eaten by the dragon nor protected by the fairy. It only exists to indicate the player who placed the wonder. You could even consider that the interior of the wonder is a special area, similar to the Wheel of Fortune, to name one.

A wonder tile has 5 square spaces where the dragon can visit as if they where normal tiles. If you place a the fairy next to a meeple on the wonder tile, it will protect its 5 square spaces from the dragon. Therefore, the dragon will not be able to land on the wonder tile.

In your case, if the fairy is next to the green meeple on the wonder tile, the dragon would not be able to land on spaces 1, 3 or any other space on the wonder tile.

Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline BBG

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2024, 10:47:57 PM »
If you place a the fairy next to a meeple on the wonder tile, it will protect its 5 square spaces from the dragon. Therefore, the dragon will not be able to land on the wonder tile.

What, why is that? This means if I have a fairy on the left side of the double river tile the dragon can't enter the right side?

Or that the dragon can't enter the whole City of Carcassonne 3x4 tile if the fairy is present on any of the 5 border spaces with a feature in it?

Or that the dragon can't enter the whole starting tile from Expansion 11 if the fairy is present at all on it?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 10:51:08 PM by BBG »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2024, 05:29:19 AM »
I think this rule will be changed. Problematic is tiles which feature is going over multiple tiles. Like German Castles and fields.
Everything else is for my just square spaces where fairy protects only one of them and Dragon can eat only meeples from one space in one step.
Unfortunately we need to follow most recent clarification, which tells that dragon eat all meeples on a tile (even double tile) and fairy protects who tile (event double tile).
This is valid for all tiles which not have preprinted lines like in City of Carcassonne. On City of Carcassonne, there is obvious, which "tile" is protected by fairy, and where is placed dragon.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline BBG

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2024, 07:20:06 AM »
Ok thanks for the reply. It doesn't make sense to me that the dragon eats meeples from ALL squares of a multi-tile and I'll keep playing it as he can only move and eat from one square at a time

This is valid for all tiles which not have preprinted lines like in City of Carcassonne. On City of Carcassonne, there is obvious, which "tile" is protected by fairy, and where is placed dragon.
I think it's quite OK to say that it is obvious to tell where a tile starts and ends even if there's no pre-printed lines. Definitely not following the most recent clarification

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2024, 10:16:10 AM »
If you place a the fairy next to a meeple on the wonder tile, it will protect its 5 square spaces from the dragon. Therefore, the dragon will not be able to land on the wonder tile.

What, why is that? This means if I have a fairy on the left side of the double river tile the dragon can't enter the right side?

Correct. The fairy will protect both halves of the double-sized tile.

Or that the dragon can't enter the whole City of Carcassonne 3x4 tile if the fairy is present on any of the 5 border spaces with a feature in it?

This is a different case. The 3x4 tableau has white lines dividing the area outside the city of Carcassonne into tiles. Each one of those tiles is independent, so the fairy maybe on one and the dragon on another without disturbing each other. This tableau was just created for practical reasons, but it does not alter the original configuration of 12 individual tiles (numbered from 1 to 12 on their backs) to conform the city of Carcassonne. The same happens in C2, but HiG decided to implement it with two 2x3 tableaus.

The first double-sized German castle prototypes had lines on them too, which were later removed. This was the origin of all this controversy. ;)

Or that the dragon can't enter the whole starting tile from Expansion 11 if the fairy is present at all on it?

In this case, there are no lines separating the 2x2 tile into individual tiles, so the fairy and the dragon cannot share this large tile.

Offline Matisek

• Freeman
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2024, 11:41:02 AM »
in my opinion, any tile that visually has more than one 45x45 card (even when connected) should be treated as a single 45x45 tile.

This nonsensical rule breaks major expansions. The dragon, the tower, the flying machines... For the dragon to eat the whole card of Wonder. It does not make sense. :(

The further the combination and interpretation of the rules worsens. :(n)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2024, 03:50:12 PM »
There are two layers here:
* The square grid rules: The square space grid will dictate tile count for scoring, flier trajectories, tower ranges, moving the dragon, moving flea tokens...
* Mapping from squares to tiles: When required, square spaces will map to full tiles, for example when dealing with the effect of the fairy, the effect of the dragon, a tower capture, a flier landing, the effect of a flea token,...

It may seem complicated but it is not difficult at all.

Offline BBG

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2024, 12:27:05 PM »
I still don't understand why some printed lines - so not a game feature but something "outside" of said tiles - should be considered to make a rule.
So if I get a custom 3x4 tableau without printed lines, it won't allow the dragon to enter if the fairy is present on any tile?
You said "Each one of those tiles is independent", referring to the 3x4 tableau. Why aren't the 4 tiles in the 2x2 Expansion 11 independent? Just because they didn't draw a line?
This is chaotic

When required
My problem here is that there seems to miss a requirement. It's... random?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 12:29:03 PM by BBG »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2024, 12:19:23 PM »
I still don't understand why some printed lines - so not a game feature but something "outside" of said tiles - should be considered to make a rule.

The printed line where the device used by HiG to separate a multi-tiled tableau into independent tiles.

This was used in the Wheel of Fortune and the city of Carcassonne when used tableaus for it instead of the original individual tiles.

Original 3x4-tile configuration for the city of Carcassonne in C1 sold as 12 tiles, which had to be assembled (front and back):

In 2015, HiG released a version of this setup as a 3x4 tile tableau, with one additional city segment at the top not included in the original design. The limit of the original tiles outside the city where marked with white lines.

The outer area of the city of Cacassonne can be occupied by meeples, the fairy and the dragon... The interior part of the city of Carcassonne is out of limits for the fairy and the dragon.

A similar approach was used in C2 for easy setup plus a two-sided version of the image: two 2x3 tableaus with flags marking the districts and without them.

The two 2x3 tableaus could fit in a major expansion box. This could not happen with a 3x4 tableau.

The Wheel of Fortune features a 4x4 tile tableau. The outer part is also divided by white lines to separate tiles. The same approach was used to separate tiles without provided 16 actual tiles for it. Since the setup would be somewhat cumbesome.

So if I get a custom 3x4 tableau without printed lines, it won't allow the dragon to enter if the fairy is present on any tile?

That would be the idea. No big deal.

You said "Each one of those tiles is independent", referring to the 3x4 tableau. Why aren't the 4 tiles in the 2x2 Expansion 11 independent? Just because they didn't draw a line?
This is chaotic

When required
My problem here is that there seems to miss a requirement. It's... random?

The lines separating tiles make the difference. No lines means that all the square spaces conform one single tile.

Offline Matisek

• Freeman
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2024, 02:14:46 AM »
but I think HIG said that on:
Leipzig
German castles
jubilee source of the river
Wonders of humanity
starting card (ghosts) 11.expansion

the lines would look bad if they were displayed on the card. (my opinion) that's why they marked it as one card even if it consists of several squares (45x45). Well, I will still divide (visually) the big cards into each one separately (logically)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 02:16:48 AM by Matisek »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2024, 12:10:13 PM »
The division can be made with "small lines" just as markings that this is a square space.
I think in near future HiG will need to decide, what to handle Dragon on Wonder tiles when they release C3 The Princess and the Dragon.
I think they will need to update rules are we do in The Wetlands. Meeple has to be placed visibly on one square space of double tile.
Then it will be clear also for farmers.
Special case is German Castle - meeple is placed logically to the center of double tile. 

Offline BBG

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2024, 05:40:29 AM »
So, since you have to count the tiles and not the road pieces while scoring a feature, this road would be worth 6 points and not 7? (Originally I wrote 12 and 14 by mistake)

This really doesn't make any sense  C:-) Allowing something that's 100% stylistic (lines looking bad on tiles) to impact game mechanics and scoring... is just weird.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 02:48:19 AM by BBG »

Online NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2024, 05:46:51 AM »
This road would score 7 points. The number of occupied square spaces is counted, even if that starting tile is a single 2x2 large tile.
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 50,000+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 11:37:49 AM »
So, since you have to count the tiles and not the road pieces while scoring a feature, this road would be worth 12 points and not 14?

How do you get that number?

Offline BBG

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2024, 02:45:59 AM »
Sorry I meant 6 instead of 7, I was writing about roads but thinking about cities for some reason  O:-)

This road would score 7 points. The number of occupied square spaces is counted, even if that starting tile is a single 2x2 large tile.

So a large/irregular tile is to be counted as one unique tile in some cases (e.g. dragon moves) and as made of different tiles/spaces in some others (e.g. counting points)?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 02:47:39 AM by BBG »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Wonders of Humanity - Clarification by Cundco - 08 03 2024

Started by Meepledrone

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2024, 10:14:04 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Wonders of Humanity new mini expansion announced

Started by Willem

21 Replies
Last post September 24, 2023, 02:31:09 PM