Poll

Which expansion would you like to play in the next "expansion league" competition? (select 1)

Princess & Dragon
10 (52.6%)
The Tower
2 (10.5%)
Abbey & Mayor
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 05, 2015, 08:33:03 AM

Author Topic: The Next Expansion League (Again)  (Read 12504 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
The Next Expansion League (Again)
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
All being well, the last few games of the Inns & Cathedrals league will have been played by the end of the week which means it’s time to start thinking about what manner of online competition will follow it.  :(y)

Since the Carcassonne world isn’t yet ready for another World Cup of Carcassonne Central (this will come later in the year), it seems that the next best thing would be to run a third Expansion League as the first two have been so popular (and fun).

We’ve already played extensively with Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders so it seems logical that the next league should be played using one of the next three major expansions: Princess & Dragon, The Tower or Abbey & Mayor. Therefore, I’ve setup this little poll to assist us in choosing which to use.

Everybody gets one vote, but it’s a secret poll which means nobody will see the result until the deadline has been reached (one week from now). If however you’ve already decided that you want in regardless of what expansion we end up using, please post below to indicate your willingness to participate. Once the expansion we’re going to be playing has been chosen, there will be a small window of opportunity for anyone who hasn’t already signed up to do so, but I’m hoping to get this up and running as soon as possible so please don’t take too long deciding if you want to play!

More information will be available once the poll has closed, but for the meantime please assume that this will run in the same way as the previous Inns & Cathedrals league in that all players will be split between a number of initial groups wherein everyone will play one game against each of their fellow group-members. Players will then advance from these into “final” groups depending on the results of their games at the initial stage and final rankings will be determined based on the results of the games that take place in the final groups.

Then if anyone still wants to play Carcassonne after all that we’ll see about organising the next one. Probably.

Happy voting!  8)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1715.0
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:35:48 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: The Next Expansion League (Again)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
Abbey and Mayor was an obvious choice for me.

Still sore after all the havoc 15 copies (total) of Dragons and Towers invaded my last megaCarc!  :o
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:04:24 AM »
Abbey and Mayor was an obvious choice for me.

Still sore after all the havoc 15 copies (total) of Dragons and Towers invaded my last megaCarc!  :o

I voted the same way. However, I'll be happy to play any of these expansions and quite excited to see what comes out on top. P & D and A & M both have a lot of components to them which will introduce a lot of extra thinking whereas The Tower is so chaotic that almost anything can happen.

The other thing to think about is number of tiles. 30 extra tiles is going to make for some fairly epic games I imagine, whereas 12 extra tiles might not seem that significant even though higher scores can be expected from the barns. So much to think about!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
I have voted for Princess and the Dragon.
I like the Dragon and also the Fairy.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »
I also voted for P&D. I like all three expansions and think they should and will all be part of the Expansion League. So I think, we could just as well play them "in order". This did not happen with I&C and T&B, but for that there was an actuall purpouse, because you had some kind of an I&C tournament just a short time before. But I will be happy with any of the three, regardless, which will be picked and like to participate.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »
P&D!  >:D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 01:07:51 PM »
P & D and A & M both have a lot of components to them which will introduce a lot of extra thinking whereas The Tower is so chaotic that almost anything can happen.

[hijacking the thread]

The Tower's one component requires more extra thinking than pretty much any other component and probably as much as any other complete expansion. On every turn you have to consider the potential tower implications for you or for your opponent(s) before you lay a tile.

[/hijacking the thread]

I voted for P&D. It seems logical to me to go in order even though expansions 1 & 2 were switched around.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
P & D and A & M both have a lot of components to them which will introduce a lot of extra thinking whereas The Tower is so chaotic that almost anything can happen.

[hijacking the thread]

The Tower's one component requires more extra thinking than pretty much any other component and probably as much as any other complete expansion. On every turn you have to consider the potential tower implications for you or for your opponent(s) before you lay a tile.

[/hijacking the thread]

I don't disagree with this at all, but I still think The Tower is the most chaotic of these even if it does require a lot of extra thought behind each tile placement.

I will be equally happy with whatever gets chosen since I enjoy them all (now) and don't have any high hopes for where I may finish in any of the associated leagues either.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »
All three provide interesting challenges.

Before I vote, one question - with P&D, will the rule be that the princess MUST remove a knight?  Or will the removal be optional?
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
The only problem with P&D is the Fairy, I always forget to move it and the amount of points it generates is really big.
On the other side the Tower is one of the most strategic "offensive" expansions in Carcassonne.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »
I voted P&D just to keep them in order. Damn CDO!
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 12:32:57 AM »
Secretly voted.  8)

..but I lost the last five games against my girlfriend with either P&D or The Tower so I'll let you guess what I voted for  :o

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 01:20:17 AM »
I am not saying what I voted for but whatever wins it - I am in and this time it is war!
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 04:39:40 AM »
Before I vote, one question - with P&D, will the rule be that the princess MUST remove a knight?  Or will the removal be optional?
I would assume it to be optional, since this is the HiG rule, general considered the official one.

I would never the less suggest, that we might include "River II" this time, if P&D will be picked. Would be an exception to the general approach of only including one expansion at a time, but I think that would make sense for the volcano tile. What do you think, Dan?

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 04:50:45 AM »
Mayor and Abbey is definitely my favorite .
though anyone would be willing to play.
I hope to give my best in the next competition .
 :D
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
someone selling fan expansions again

Started by Rosco

10 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 04:56:09 AM
by eddebaby
xx
Will the corn circles I (2010) ever get released again?

Started by pepito

3 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 05:13:44 AM
by Safari
xx
Let the Madness Commence (again)

Started by danisthirty

12 Replies
Last post October 26, 2018, 08:57:53 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
Cundco wooden meeples full set again??