Author Topic: Kickstarter project: Carcassone collection box?  (Read 29462 times)

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • I haven't profiled my update yet!
    • View Profile
Kickstarter project: Carcassone collection box?
« on: February 06, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »
I saw a lot of people are interested in a good , preferably wooden, collection box for carcassone.
I saw some very nice handwork here on the forum (keep up the good work). And is saw the very nice *ahem* thing which cundco produced.

I do know there are companies which build wooden boxes for promotional things like wineboxes etc. for promotion and there are some companies who make some pretty nice things. But ussually they start at a hundred boxes which is a bit much if you order on your own.

I also noticed some of you guys have some experience with kickstarter.

So how about i or somebody who is good at this  designs a box which is big enough to hold everything. Also for the people who have 6 base sets and has enough room for another 13 years of carcassonne.

Pass some different designs by you guys. Have a vote. Put it on kickstarter. Order a prototype. Try it out make it as cheap as possible for everybody and just distract expenses and 1 free box for myself as payment.

Do you guys and gals think this is a good idea?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=610.0
Dddddeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrppp

Offline DOCTORawfulMD

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 4
  • Tryin' to build a MASSIVE tile deck- Wanna help???
    • View Profile
    • Ministry of Gamers
Re: Kickstarter project: Carcassone collection box?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »
Im interested in Anything that is functional and well made... you should post some designs and concepts, then go from there!
Oh come ON!!! ... Again?!? The Dragon???... I just...come onnnnnn!!! Great.  That's just Perfect    :(

--~<(:   If you have Bulk Tile Lots,  Packs of Tiles, Duplicates, BLANKs or Rare Expansions for SALE: PLEASE send me a PM!!!  I am VERY interested in buying and growing our Family Deck !!!  :)>~-

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »
To keep the costs down, the solution seems to be laser-cutting. I've seen a lot of projects in the past few months offering laser-cut wooden boxes.

If others are like me, I'm very leary of backing a wooden box project for Carcassonne. The franchise is still going strong, with new expansions be released every year. I waited until Donald X. announced the end of the Dominion franchise before committing to a wooden box. With regards to Carcassonne, my plastic storage case is serving me fairly well. I recently printed tuckboxes for the mini expansions and opening up a bunch of space for Sheep & Hills and the next few years-worth of stuff. The modular nature of plastic bins makes them better-suited to storing a game which is still growing, and if I outgrow my current box, I know that bigger boxes are probably out there somewhere. We're fortunate that the tiles fit perfectly in most plastic storage boxes.

Another challenge of a wooden box is accommodating people with different size collections, or people who want to pack spin-offs along with their regular Carc set. For every size box offered, the overall project cost increases. You also have people who keep their tiles mixed together (Bixby) and people who are compelled by their OCD to store everything separately (me). It took years before I got over the hurdle of wanting to keep everything in the original boxes.

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »
Good points. But i do have some ideas which will fix that.

First of the basic outline:
I would go with wood. Its the classic material. its not 2 expensive. I dont really care for the chique woods like rosewood but would like a durable sort.

I would go with a rectangular shape. Circa H25 X L 40 X W 30. Thats a little smaller than the big box except thats its double in height. It will fit in a bookcase that way.

For the lid you can go with a normal lid or a sliding lid. i would go wih a normal lid so you can create a compartment for the board.

Offline Carcatronn

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
You also have people who keep their tiles mixed together (Bixby) and people who are compelled by their OCD to store everything separately (me). It took years before I got over the hurdle of wanting to keep everything in the original boxes.

Hahaha I am still not over the hurdle  ;) .... Already reached out to a few companies to do a custom box for Kickstarter a month ago. Either they were too expensive, wasn't willing to make in bulk for resell, or the quality isn't good enough. Go7 Gaming is the most promising, but they aren't supporting wholesale yet (Backed them on Kickstarter for a Dominion insert)
PM me for for a list of remaining items from the Carcassonne Shoppe.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:37:28 PM »
For the evergrowing franchise and adapting accordingly, the box should be made of only tilesized rows with knicks to fit adjustable wall panels. These wall panels would then be placed inside and form fixed different sized slots to fit the right amount of tiles from a particular expansion.
  This would allow you to realign the content for each expansion as it grows. The more knicks the more flexible it can be, figure each row has as many knicks as there are tiles for the ultimate span adjustment.
  And there's also the advantage having these walls stay in place when removing the tiles which makes it easier to place the tiles back when done playing.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Carcatronn

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 05:42:29 PM »
For the evergrowing franchise and adapting accordingly, the box should be made of only tilesized rows with knicks to fit adjustable wall panels. These wall panels would then be placed inside and form fixed different sized slots to fit the right amount of tiles from a particular expansion.
  This would allow you to realign the content for each expansion as it grows. The more knicks the more flexible it can be, figure each row has as many knicks as there are tiles for the ultimate span adjustment.
  And there's also the advantage having these walls stay in place when removing the tiles which makes it easier to place the tiles back when done playing.

Wouldn't this just be perfect if they modified the slots for Carc tiles?
http://go7gaming.com/puzz-001-insert-for-puzzle-strike/

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »

Wouldn't this just be perfect if they modified the slots for Carc tiles?
http://go7gaming.com/puzz-001-insert-for-puzzle-strike/

Yeah, that was pretty much the idea I had in mind. Could not find a decent picture online. Thank you!  :meeple: Browsed a little on that site and found a picture that shows exactly what I meant.  The transparent walls could then be labeled with the expansion name.

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »
Sorry bout the delay. I build sort of a prototype to show what i meant. First off i would go with a lidded box. I would like some ironwork on the outside for closing it down. I just bought a wooden lidded thing for now which is about the size of the big box. I painted it green 'cause :Fudge Yeah, green!.

Anyways here's the first pic:

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
The box is filled with trays: this one has two. Since the inner height is 48mm you can put in the tiles with a board on top. So you can quickly start a game.

For a expansive box i would go with 4 trays with one bigger one to fit the tower (such size wow). It does mean it will be the size of 2 big boxes which will make it very unportable. But bear with me i got a solution for that.

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »
As you can see this box contains every expansions minus the count, cult, robber and king expansion thingy which was just a remake. I dont own the tunnel, wheel of fortune and belagerer so i used other expansions for that. It does mean that every expansions till now will fit in one tray.

I lowered the dividers a bit (3cm or 1.2 inch) so you can easily wrap your fingers around the and remove the expansions . You might even add like some small iron handles on these to improve getting the tray out. I thought that was quite a nice design touch.

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »
As i said you put the board on top and it all fits very snuggly so you wont get much shifting.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
That box is nice, but for me is it to small.

I don't see if there is any useful box for everyone, because each of the Carcassonne fans
has other thoughts how big such a wooden box should be.

I have a bigger one.

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »
Hold your horses mate  8). Like i said. It consist of multiple trays. Here's the second one underneath the first one. If inwould go for a mass production i would go with four. The brilliance is you work in length, depth as well as height to create room. I do like your box though  ;D

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
And for the people who want to go smaller: i would fit top tray with a sliding lid! This way the people who want to got smaller could just buy this tray and be done. The people who need portability can just put in the stuff they want to play with and carry it easily to another players house and still have the rest of the big case for the rest of the expansions.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A Carcassone deck of cards

Started by Howdypoopy

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2017, 12:31:28 AM
by stalcupojoy
xx
The old Carcassone online game...

Started by Reggie777

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2021, 02:58:57 AM
by Sondiana
xx
Carcassone collectors: What's the top 5 rarest Carcassonne thing according to u!

Started by DavidY

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2017, 09:13:56 PM
by DavidY
xx
Carcassone news on Twitter, what to follow?

Started by Hovari

4 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 07:08:33 AM
by Hovari
question
Carcassone Spiel Promo tiles how to get them

Started by carcamarco

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2024, 02:39:53 AM
by Meepledrone