Author Topic: Announcement from Hans Im Gluck - 20th Anniversary edition  (Read 56969 times)

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement from Hans Im Gluck
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2021, 09:29:10 AM »
Reflecting on the content as a whole I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the level of appeal for the niche end of the market that we represent as a community. If I remember correctly I anticipated something like, "Base game, River, Abbot, Festival 20 and perhaps a small mini expansion at best." when posting previously in this thread.

So relative to that, on a scale from -5 "thoroughly disappointed" to plus 5 "absolutely amazed!" I'm feeling like:

Base game, River, Abbot : 0
'Festival 20' : +1 - it has 5 tiles more than both previous iterations
'River 1c' : +3 - 5 new tiles which presumably will integrate nicely (artwork and gameplay features) with the standard River ... Maybe a fork, a lake and 3 others?
'special finish' : -1 and that's generous. If it makes the tiles somewhat aesthetically incompatible with other content that seems like a shame. If a new mainstream player starts with this edition - and to my mind, that has to be the primary goal of the publisher here - they are going to be disappointed when they buy an expansion and it's different.
stickers : (-3) because for me they are awful and totally go against the aesthetic strength of the meeple as an iconic design
'Easter eggs' : 0 - these don't bother me either way. I'll pay no more attention to them than I do highwaymen hiding in bushes or pigsties.

Overall it's a break even on what I was expecting. And if I ignore the stickers, which I could if I bought* a copy by just throwing them away, it's a slight net positive; Slightly more appealing to our niche community than I hoped.

* I won't, and never did intend to, buy a copy. If the River & mini turn out to be interesting and later appear at cundco they'll be useful to put a Spiele tile qualifying order together. ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:30:59 PM by cicerunner »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2021, 09:37:51 AM »

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »
HiG is very aware of people's financial burdens and the value for money that their games provide.

And that's why they don't risk and do the same as always. I understand the business mentality but we are talking about 20 years of carcassonne. Honestly with what is known about the edition:
Sincerely, do you think it's something that has completely surprised you? or is it not familiar to the above edited?
I understand that there are people who like to buy the same or very similar with little margin of variation over and over, but understand that there are people who expect something truly amazing when it comes to such important dates. If you think that everyone loves this new edition except me, I think you haven't read other comments...
Many people aren't going to buy it directly. In my case, I probably bought it for what these 20 years mean, rather than for the edition itself.
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2021, 12:04:39 PM »
20 years of carcassonne wasted in an edition that surely the box is very beautiful but the interior is not remarkable ... They have also released the festival 20 hahaha Everything completely predictable. Stickers for meeples again?
I still have some hope for the rest of the 20th anniversary stuff ... Will I have to wait for a really special 100th anniversary limited edition? Or will it remain the same with festival 100?

I have the impression that for some it smacks of disappointment
Admittedly I've only been playing Carcassonne since July 2012, but compared to most other special releases I've seen over that time I'd say that this one is actually quite remarkable if the contents list we've seen so far are as described. It would be unremarkable if it was just a special edition of the basic game with no additional content, or maybe a re-release of something we already knew about.

It might not meet some of the expectations that some people had, but most of those were never going to happen for various reasons that you can find if you explore back through some of the previous threads we've had here whenever anything new is released. With this in mind, I'm quite surprised that it includes a new version of the River ("River 4" or "River 1c"?) with extra tiles AND a new mini expansion. The special meeples are a bit of a novelty, maybe not worth much to those who are looking specifically for new content but a nice touch nonetheless. And the special finish on the tiles and hidden easter eggs? Hmm. I don't know. But I'm intrigued!

To say that it's 20 years of Carcassonne wasted is quite a big thing, and potentially quite hurtful to the people who have worked on bringing this new box to market. We all had/ have different expectations; just because yours weren't met doesn't mean it wasn't a worthwhile venture or something that the majority of fans might enjoy owning.

There are still things to be announced ... Maybe some really exclusive limited edition?
In my case, I've been collecting carcassonne since it came out in 2001. For dates as important as a 20th anniversary, at least I ask for something really memorable, it's not asking too much ...

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2021, 12:12:54 PM »
HiG is very aware of people's financial burdens and the value for money that their games provide.

And that's why they don't risk and do the same as always. I understand the business mentality but we are talking about 20 years of carcassonne. Honestly with what is known about the edition:
Sincerely, do you think it's something that has completely surprised you? or is it not familiar to the above edited?
I understand that there are people who like to buy the same or very similar with little margin of variation over and over, but understand that there are people who expect something truly amazing when it comes to such important dates. If you think that everyone loves this new edition except me, I think you haven't read other comments...
Many people aren't going to buy it directly. In my case, I probably bought it for what these 20 years mean, rather than for the edition itself.

Too bad they didn't release golden tiles and sell them for free with a 20 euros order  ;D

Honestly, for me, having every tiles with a much more detailed design, easter eggs, a lot of small added details (like the ribbons on the walls, different scenes inside the tiles...etc), but still CII compatible is something truly amazing! And an awesome work!

Some may not like it, but that's not a reason for spending time to complain... After all, if we all complained about everything we do not like in this world, we'd never stop!
Enjoy and keep the fun in the things where we find it, and leave the rest, that makes a much happier life  ;)  :yellow-meeple:

And thanks HiG for your work and this amazing game that provided a lot of enjoyable family and friends time, congratulations for keeping the good work so long! (well, apart from cutting buildings at the tile's edges  ;D )

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »
There are still things to be announced ... Maybe some really exclusive limited edition?
In my case, I've been collecting carcassonne since it came out in 2001. For dates as important as a 20th anniversary, at least I ask for something really memorable, it's not asking too much ...

I believe there are still some of these left if you're looking for something exclusive and limited edition?

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2021, 01:08:00 PM »
I quite like it.
The box looks a bit fancier, and the contents are ok.
They seem to always try to make sure new people can get into the game, and something extra for collectors like us. And it becomes more and more difficult to come up with something like that.
Remember some exclusive expansions that were first only available in like a box with a base game (Besiegers, CC1, even the minis in the new art)

I'll be buying it (unless they price it like the Special Limited edition, but I doubt that), and look forward to it  ;D
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2021, 01:09:18 PM »
Well said Willem  :(y)

We may want to consider bundling a shipment to the UK  ;D

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »

I believe there are still some of these left if you're looking for something exclusive and limited edition?
Does anyone remember the 15th anniversary edition of catan? To give an example of a really spectacular special edition. Carcassonne would have to have his edition in a wooden box, with the wooden tiles, some meeples with some cool engravings on them, all in a kind of deluxe edition in a handmade way that transports you to the medieval age ... Is it too much to ask? I don't think I'm saying anything impossible to do ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
Well said Willem  :(y)

We may want to consider bundling a shipment to the UK  ;D

Yes please. I'll put myself down for two copies! O:-)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2021, 11:29:10 PM »
Anyway publishing date is 25th May 2021 (not 2020 as mentioned before ;-D)

Very good of them to publish something on our kittens' first birthday! :) :(y)

Sorry to disappoint you, but thst site says it will be available 28th May 2020. We missed it!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2021, 11:31:49 PM »
Anyway publishing date is 25th May 2021 (not 2020 as mentioned before ;-D)

Very good of them to publish something on our kittens' first birthday! :) :(y)

Sorry to disappoint you, but thst site says it will be available 28th May 2020. We missed it!

WHAT?! Why would they publish something new like this when the kittens were only 3 days old? That's just stupid...

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2021, 11:38:08 PM »
It was all on purpose!
They distracted you with 3 day old kittens, and now the anniversary edition is all sold out....
It even worked on all of us, as we've all missed the chance

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2021, 11:54:16 PM »
So cunning... :'(

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2021, 12:10:18 AM »
Yes, Moritz has devised an evil master plan.  :o
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne 20th anniversary edition 2021

Started by Christianmocking

10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 05:48:06 AM
by Decar
xx
Carcassonne 20th Anniversary Edition featured in Spielbox 2021/4

Started by Meepledrone

18 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 02:40:48 AM