Author Topic: Convince me into getting Carcassonne Edition 2  (Read 7614 times)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Convince me into getting Carcassonne Edition 2
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »
For a long time I was hesitant into getting Carcassonne 2.
Due to my believe that I wanted to boycot the new edition, hoping it would not replace the old one. At this moment I realise that carcassonne edition 1 is going to be exclusive to the ones who ever collected them.
I'm glad that I almost completed the first edition (I still don't have cult siege and creativity). But should it be a blessing that I completed it and simply be done with it?
I can't convince myself yet to buy carcassonne edition 2, although I really want to try and collect the new mechanics of watchtowers and the upcoming 10th expansion.
Is it the money? Is it my believe that I don't need it? I don't know... But something is really holding me back.

So I ask you, once again, to start the discussion.
or better..

Convince me into getting the new edition of Carcassonne.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3116.0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Convince me into getting Carcassonne Edition 2
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
In short:

1) It isn't going to go away and classic Carc isn't going to come back
2) Now is a good time to start collecting what's available for it. Think how hard it will be to get a Spiel 14 tile in 10 years time and how much you'll kick yourself when you see people fighting to get Watchtowers on eBay for 200 Euros!
3) Imagine what you'll be missing out on as future Carc 2 exclusives come out that you won't be able to play with unless you attempt to convert them into the original artwork

But ultimately it's up to you. Any one of those is good enough for me. :)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »
I have played the watchtower with my old edition tiles.  It mixes well enough to enjoy the new mechanic.  It is only distracting if you take a photo of the final board.

I say buy the new stuff and don't repurchase what you already have.

Offline Gabrielgeek01

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
Some stuff in the new artwork like the Spiel 2014 tile are already hard to find. I don't have the patience to start collecting everything again...

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »
I won't buy second edition. I don't like to mix tiles, new art is ugly anyway, and even if I would like it, I would rather buy some other games then rebuying the old expansions. Plus, I think, I will have plenty variety to play with the original art, and the very best expansions already had been produced.

But I was seeing it coming from the beginning, that new mayor expansions will be new edition only. I started my collection with Big Box 4 just a few weeks before 2.0 was first announced. Yet, I'm not disappointed, because I think, I got, what I wanted to get, and in the much nicer artwork.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 04:45:48 PM »
I'll stick by the old artwork as wel for several reasons:
- my collection in the old artwork is almost complete so plenty of mechanisms for the coming 40 year or so
- that collection was worth the price but i don't tend to spend more on the same game.  There are plenty of other games on the list, starting with The Sherrif of Nottingham
- i prefer the old artwork anyway and mixing the tiles..wel, it maken my eyes hurt
- i recently made some friends of mine as crazy of the game as i am...so they bought Carc 2.0 the week after. If i want to play some of the new, coming expansions...i'll knock on their door for some Carc 2.0 and will enjoy it as much as they will continue coming to play old school Carc 1.0

Conclusion: i would stick to the old artwork, get friends to love the game and sooner or later they'll get a new version.  No need to have everything yourself...on the contrary...it's a good reason the meet up with your friends.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:30:03 PM »
I'm with Hounk, thodekey, and Gabrielgeek01. I'm drawing the line on collecting at version 1. In some ways, I'm happy for the clear endpoint HiG has provided. As others have said, there is more than enough variety already in the Carcassonne universe, especially if you include some fan expansions. And if you want more replay value, use some Expansion Selector Cards like I do and every game will be different.

I'd say, if you really want to keep up with the new expansions, buy a Carc II base game and then buy just the new Carc II expansions to use with that. But as for buying all the old expansions (which you already own) again, I'm of the opinion that the money would be better spent on other games (or other things altogether), of which there are many. Everyone has to come to their own opinion, but I'd say: don't let the completionist in you crowd out the game-lover in you.
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline meepleater

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
I'd say, if you really want to keep up with the new expansions, buy a Carc II base game and then buy just the new Carc II expansions to use with that. But as for buying all the old expansions (which you already own) again, I'm of the opinion that the money would be better spent on other games (or other things altogether), of which there are many.

I agree with this - this is what I'm doing.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 10:16:04 PM »
I have played the watchtower with my old edition tiles.  It mixes well enough to enjoy the new mechanic.  It is only distracting if you take a photo of the final board.

I say buy the new stuff and don't repurchase what you already have.
What he said! :(y)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
Echoing from many above, some time in future I might consider buying the expansions exclusively designed for Carc II. It seems that when a few existing expansions were printed for Carc II, gardens, sheep, wolves, or pigs (I might make up some of these, the point is, I don't really care) were added to selected tiles. One might consider printing these tiles at home themselves, provided that this is legal. These tiles with added features to the existing Carc I tiles are just like River II to River I. More features on the tiles means more flexible techniques and more fun, but buying the base game and every repeated expansions just for gardens and permanent sheep seems overkill.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 07:25:49 AM »
More features on the tiles means more flexible techniques and more fun, but buying the base game and every repeated expansions just for gardens and permanent sheep seems overkill.

You could always print stickers and put them on your old tiles.  I don't know how they would look or how long before the sticker pulled off, but its an option. 

Offline ozgurceylan

• Villein
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
but buying the base game and every repeated expansions just for gardens and permanent sheep seems overkill.

Can you please give more information about "permanent sheep"? Are they available on Carcassonne 2.0 tiles and are they functional?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:57:41 PM by ozgurceylan »

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
Thank you all for you answers!
I have read all your comments and I'm slowly convincing myself to get the exclusive expansions for carcassonne II.

Like many said, I would not forgive myself if I ever start collecting the stuff that's now cheap.
But, I will wait with buying the carcassonne II edition itself. with maybe the possibility that a better box comes up (Big box?)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 02:15:07 PM »
but buying the base game and every repeated expansions just for gardens and permanent sheep seems overkill.

Can you please give more information about "permanent sheep"? Are they available on Carvcassonne 2.0 tiles and are they functional?
I suspect, this referred to the special River of Big Box 5, which was of course Carcassonne 1.0, but had the special feature of "permanent sheep" on some tiles.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
I suspect, this referred to the special River of Big Box 5, which was of course Carcassonne 1.0, but had the special feature of "permanent sheep" on some tiles.
I think I got myself confused and Hounk is right. I guess this also mean I'm not going to buy the Big Box 5 just for the special river. ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Getting back into Carcassonne / H&G buying question

Started by Evert

18 Replies
Last post April 19, 2018, 12:55:11 AM
by danisthirty
xx
I gave in to getting Carcassonne 2.0....

Started by Ry4Christ

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2016, 01:10:46 PM
by Ry4Christ
xx
Getting off to a good start: frfr

Started by danisthirty

12 Replies
Last post January 01, 2020, 02:26:50 PM
by t2k
xx
The Barbarian Report: The Labyrinth – Getting Dizzier