Author Topic: Saloon Tycoon  (Read 3115 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Saloon Tycoon
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:37:30 AM »
We finally got a game we kickstarted.  So far we have played it twice and we really like it.  I want to start off with the biggest drawback of this game.  It takes an entire dining room table to play.  No card table can hold all of the components.

The game can be played by up to 4 players.  The box says it takes 40 to 80 minutes to play.  It took us closer to 80 both times.  The game also suggests you keep score as you go.  We tried that the first time, but it was just too much.  On the second go we didn't give points for buildings and we counted them at the end.  That worked better for us.

You start off with a saloon and you can build up and out as you acquire money, citizens, and outlaws.  You get open claims which can be scored at any time and are seen by everyone and secret claims which are scored at the end.  Points are scored for completing claims, building rooms, and having citizens.  Outlaws will come to your town and cause havok.  They can be bribed or driven away with cards. 

I really like the game.  It is deeper than I thought it would be.  There are a lot of different strategies.  In the picture below you will see my saloon below and my son's to the left.  My saloon is more aesthetically pleasing and has an outhouse.  My son is missing some roofs, has nowhere to poo, and has a scorpion farm.  He does have a brothel, so he has that going for him.  You may think I won this game, but you would be wrong.  I lost by 2 points.  He completed all his claims and prevented me from completing 2 of mine. He also had 1 more citizen.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2873.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Saloon Tycoon
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 07:54:32 AM »
Glad to see you enjoyed this. This was one of the few KS i magained to refrain from buying  :'(
I've got quite a few trickling in over the next few weeks. Hopefully they arrive before Essen or I'll need a new house to keep them in!

Your descriptions of your saloons did make me laugh, so definitley +1 merit for that alone ;D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »
I'm also glad to see this thread. My copy is somewhere in the French postal system and hopefully a friend can receive it and bring it to my wife in Switzerland while I am in Brazil. What a complicated hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »
I'm also glad to see this thread. My copy is somewhere in the French postal system and hopefully a friend can receive it and bring it to my wife in Switzerland while I am in Brazil. What a complicated hobby!

+1  :-[ :-[
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter