Author Topic: World Record Attempt 2016  (Read 86683 times)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: World Record Attempt 2016
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2016, 02:44:16 AM »
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2016, 03:42:47 AM »
ok - how did you calculate the times for activities like to eat and drink and some other activities not Carcassonne playing - for each placed tile ?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2016, 04:01:21 AM »
it is life now.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2016, 04:38:37 AM »
How many rivers are there?  I can see 3 I think.  Also I hope you are using the 12 tile count as opposed to the 1 tile one or wheel of fortune.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2016, 04:43:39 AM »
Looks a few more than 3.  Paul explained how the Rivers worked in a previous post.  Looks like they're taking more than 10s a tile though!

How many tiles are in this practice run Paul?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2016, 05:04:14 AM »
If you go yo the youtube channel OnePointSystem and open the event live I can chat with you.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2016, 05:05:37 AM »
Just saw you waving at the camera- shocked me!

just getting some lunch - speak to you in a bit!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »
On our way home now. I'll give an update later today and answer all your questions.

Feet are killing me. Our football season started yesterday. :)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »
Alright! Here comes probably the final info until the event starts.

First off, there are still a lot that we haven't decided yet because we haven't had access to the room where we will be playing the game. All we know is, that it's a classroom roughly the size of 6 x 8 meters and that there will be tables available. Once we have access (during the pre-launch on Thursday) we will assess the situation on how to proceed with lodging, and refurnishing.

What we think so far is, that we will have tables set lying upright on the back end where we can get some rest (and sleep) so we don't have to leave the room, but instead just taking a few rest periods now and then to quickly start playing again.

Food will be provided by the convention for free which we will utilize but also have friends deliver meals for us during certain hours. We will be stocking up on water bottles and energy drinks (with moderate consumption).

Our friend and I participating will be there from Thursday all the way thru Sunday while my sister, the third participant will head home during the night shifts. I will then be taking over her part of the game.

As mentioned in earlier post, we will be playing friendly co-op which means there will be no trapping and we'll help each other out to fill in the games. As shown during the live game, the result is undisputable as I yet again have turned out to be the winner (99% sure, haven't counted the score yet, but I have almost twice as many finished score segments than the other two players), and this even when I helped them out finishing cities the size of 40 points and more without any scores to myself.
  This is mostly to save time or else we'd be looking at a weeklong game. Also, we want to fill any holes that arise as we are bound to a limited space. Plus, it all looks so beautiful!

The starter setup was also changed this final round with 4 T-junctions from previous 2 (see image). The same rule stands, the river has to flow outwards and an additional rule is, there has to be at least 2 tile spaces between any two rivers. With common sense we'll be laying out the rivers so it won't clash with anything. Another advantage playing friendly co-op. :)
  A total of 135 river tiles, including starter, ender, T-junction etc was used during the final run and will be used during the event itself. Laid out at first and then we proceed with the regular tiles.
  There will be one stack of random river tiles we will be draw from and place it on any of the 8 river segments.

Each base game box contains 600 tiles. Once the board has grown so large that we each have our own side of the "world" we will be using a different method of taking turns, but nothing that will interfere with the core rules.
  We will each have a box of 600 tiles (random content each) and use it to do our turn as fast as we can. He or she that finish first can then take a break or talk to people that stop by etc. Since we won't be interfering with where other players have placed their meeple, we feel this is a viable option and to avoid the confusion on who's turn it is. Those of you that watched the video probably understood some of the halts we made in the game as we were trying to figure out who's turn it was.

The schedule for game time will be, starting on Thursday, continuing through the night with a little break in the morning.
  At 8:00 my sister will arrive and we will continue playing until we get hungry and then continue again and so forth. It will continue Friday night and we intend to finish the game on Saturday.
  With the improved time we took each turn today (March 21, 2016), we are confident we'll finish in time.

On Sunday, we will be playing a standard game with the base game and some of the expansions, to show people how the game really is played. This or we use the Winter Edition for a standard game. :) Depends how badly our brains have scrambled.

Due to time restraints, I used the CAR's first page and printed it out in A3 paper format, that we will hang next to the door. Although the image is poorly taken with my phone's camera, the A3 poster is beautiful!
  Other things we plan on having is a setup of various boxes of Carcassonne and its spin-offs decorating the room.

And now for today's game result (without the final scoring, no way up to do that today ;) ):
We played a total of 1335 tiles including all the river tiles.
The game took 3 hours and 5 minutes.
Each turn took roughly 8,315 seconds to complete. This means we could in theory finish the entire game of 10 000 tiles in about 23 hours. x_x

During the event I will be Yellow (no surprise there!) and Robert will be Blue. My sister will be using black. Each have 7 standard followers.

There are still some things I've left out, as I am unsure we'll be able to implement them. Guess we'll just have to see!

Thanks for reading!
Paul
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:58:36 PM by Paul »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »
Was fun to watch you today, I did wish the camera was a little close to the action. I hope that works out, but I know you'll have a logistic nightmare ahead of you.

Hopefully you'll have chance to read your live chat too.  Your video was in the background at work, and i popped the video to the front to see your friend staring at the camera, it made me jump!

I have a feeling there is a limit on the length of a live feed (4-5hrs) you might want to schedule more than one ahead of the game, I'm not sure though I've never done it but that's what Dice Tower said you might want to check.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »
Was fun to watch you today, I did wish the camera was a little close to the action. I hope that works out, but I know you'll have a logistic nightmare ahead of you.

Hopefully you'll have chance to read your live chat too.  Your video was in the background at work, and i popped the video to the front to see your friend staring at the camera, it made me jump!

I have a feeling there is a limit on the length of a live feed (4-5hrs) you might want to schedule more than one ahead of the game, I'm not sure though I've never done it but that's what Dice Tower said you might want to check.

Yeah. Robert, the other participant, will bring an extension cord next time. I will then be able to hover the camera around more freely. I will also use the GoPro camera with the headband strap for an "my eyes view" part on occation and sometimes use the shelfie-stick to pan the field. The GoPro videos will not be live streamed but uploaded later.

The limit is 8 hours live stream at a time. We will not be streaming the entire time but schedule streams probably 2-3 times a day, depending on the internet access. If they won't give us the school's wireless, we'll be streaming using the phone's internet, which is pretty decent (up to 10 mbit I believe).
  I will post here the next stream a few hours before it starts. Each stream has it's own link. Or, you could simply go to my channel on YouTube (OnePointSystem) and see the events there. I'll check the chat as often as I can. :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2016, 04:56:36 AM »
If you schedule them nice and early I'll make sure they're on Twitter, to get as many people to watch as possible!

It would be nice if you streamed the whole event, people all over the world could watch - day or night :D

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, Have you considered a early variant rule allowing you to buy meeple who get trapped? - it's bound to happen however well you play, even if you have a great mix of tiles.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2016, 05:09:53 AM »
If you schedule them nice and early I'll make sure they're on Twitter, to get as many people to watch as possible!

It would be nice if you streamed the whole event, people all over the world could watch - day or night :D

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, Have you considered a early variant rule allowing you to buy meeple who get trapped? - it's bound to happen however well you play, even if you have a great mix of tiles.

I'll know more once we get settled in. I might be able to stream while we are setting things up as well, might be fun. I'll also try to vlog as much as possible to upload them later. Never done it before, could be a good start to learn it.
  Once we're set up, I might be able to give a full schedule so you'll know which hours we'll be streaming.

As for 24 hours a day, this could happen, but it all depends on the internet availability. This as much else we won't know until we're actually there. x_x
  But I can see us having a live stream during the night shift as well. If nothing else, we'll at least film it. :)

I wouldn't worry about trapped meeples. I got many sets of Anniversal edition and at least 4 GQ expansions I believe along with at least 3-4 expansions of Count, King, Dragon, Tower, Inns'n'Cathedral, Abbey'n'Mayor (of each expansion) and 4 full set of the 6 mini expansions.
  Of course, we can change the rule mid-way should we feel neccessary. :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2016, 05:46:53 AM »
Sounds promising :)  1000 points to get a meeple back I think ;)

I should ask, other than tweet as much as we can, is there anything else we, at CarcC, can do to help?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2016, 06:09:03 AM »
Sounds promising :)  1000 points to get a meeple back I think ;)

I should ask, other than tweet as much as we can, is there anything else we, at CarcC, can do to help?

Keep asking questions and spread the word! :)

I'm also trying to get to learn BGG see if I can get a live event there other than my dry thread. The drawback of their site is it's too messy for me.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?

Started by Halfling

29 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 01:30:05 PM
by Decar
xx
A Journey Into the World Record of a Game of Carcassonne

Started by Paul

20 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 12:57:40 PM