Author Topic: Last Meeple Standing: Volunteers Needed!  (Read 71658 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Last Meeple Standing: Volunteers Needed!
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2015, 03:09:32 PM »
Given I trapped 4 meeple with 1 move, jma03 put up a great fight - eventually my tsunami washed over and got the points differential in the last 10 tiles:

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
Dan vs Decar

Sigh

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »
Another classic battle of good vs. evil; blue vs. red; danisthirty vs. Rosco...

I spent the majority of this game one meeple down thanks to an early attempt to win outright control of a 6-point road. Rosco pointed a road towards the gap I had been hoping to fill with a straight road such that a frrr tile was required. This meant I couldn't possibly win the road, but it also meant that my meeple was trapped for 1 point until I could draw one of the 3 remaining frrr tiles. Rosco drew all 3 of them! >:(

Towards the end of the game, Rosco used his last meeple to win 8 points for himself but actually gave 9 points to me in the process by adding an adjacent farmer of mine to a farm that he had previously been winning outright. I still had a meeple in hand and a small lead, but Rosco had more points than I did coming his way in the final scoring so I knew I had to do more if I wanted to win the game. With about 10 tiles left I focused my efforts on a small but unclaimed farm in the south-east corner. I completed a 6-point city here and then claimed the farm for 9 points with my last tile of the game.

I think Round 1 is now complete! Is there any point waiting until the end of the week before advancing with Round 2? Naturally there will be stats and tables galore to follow but I usually do those at work to make myself look busy and pretend that our forum nicknames are my codenames for various SQL servers. Shh!  :-X
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:24:58 PM by danisthirty »

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
Given I trapped 4 meeple with 1 move, jma03 put up a great fight - eventually my tsunami washed over and got the points differential in the last 10 tiles:
with 1 move , decar left me more bare than a Turkey at Christmas ¡¡¡¡
well done
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »
Another classic battle of good vs. evil; blue vs. red; danisthirty vs. Rosco...

I think Round 1 is now complete! Is there any point waiting until the end of the week before advancing with Round 2? Naturally there will be stats and tables galore to follow but I usually do those at work to make myself look busy and pretend that our forum nicknames are my codenames for various SQL servers. Shh!  :-X

Congrats!

I'd say we don't need to wait. I think we could already move on to the second round.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:25:29 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2015, 12:16:57 AM »
Yes let's do it
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2015, 03:37:53 AM »
Great going guys! We’ve played 16 (actually 17, but one was a mistake) games between us in 9 days and in so doing have completed the first round of the Last Meeple Standing. There now follows a quick summary of all the action so far (bring tea)...

Firstly, I’d just like to say a big thank you to jma03 and MrNumbers for breaking my spreadsheet (kind of) with their tied game. Yes, tied games are a possible outcome that should be allowed for. And yes, I’m incompetent with Excel. But I was so pleased with myself for putting together something that actually seemed to work and calculated all of the scores for all four scoring models, that it hadn’t even occurred to me that I wasn’t allowing for draws. Doh. ::)

We’ve scored 3087 points between us, with wins ranging from 80 to 130 points and with losses ranging from 46 to 124. Jungleboy has achieved both the lowest-scoring win and the highest-scoring loss, with highest-scoring win being won by Rosco (against MrNumbers of all people :o) and lowest-scoring loss going to Decar (against Jéré).

Next up, here’s a chart of win/ draws/ losses and overall PD as if we were playing an ordinary league:

(there’s no ranking, we’re ordered alphabetically)

It’s good to see that all the coolest players have at least 3 wins and an overall PD of 90 or more 8). Other than this, things seem quite even with most players winning 1 or 2 games albeit with some surprisingly wild fluctuations in PD. I’ve included “Heavy Losses” (20 point loss or worse) because one of the scoring models uses this. Half of us have suffered at least one heavy loss although Jéré has mostly recovered from his (:(y)) and Paul has been on the receiving end of 3! :(

In terms of individual PD per game, jungleboy and Rosco are by far our most consistent players with standard deviations of 4 and 6 respectively. At the other end of the scale is wild-card Decar with an SD of 23, owing largely to the fact that his PD ranged from -59 against Jéré to +49 against jma03.

So, with all that in mind, let’s consider the following (you may need more tea by this point):

It can be seen that LP adjusted after each game leads to the biggest difference in LP and leaves Paul and jma03 in the Danger Zone, with Decar hanging on by the skin of his teeth. However, although this scoring method has its benefits and certainly seems to be one of the more exciting models, the problem still exists with the unintended significance of the order in which games are played. Game order must be irrelevant to overall scores in order to keep things fair and equal, which kind of rules out this method unless everyone sticks to a randomly pre-determined order of games which risks slowing things down with the potential for missing games.

So then, in the next column we have scores based on LP adjustment at the end of the round rather than the end of each game. This means that wins and losses can cancel each other out in terms of LP regardless of individual LP at the start of each game. This makes it fairer, but easier with it, and could lead to much longer tournaments unless other factors are taken into consideration that can be used to restrict LP. On the most part however, this model has brought the majority of us closer together although Paul is still in the Danger Zone and jma03 and Decar are further down the table despite avoiding the DZ.

Adjusting the LP cap (initially 50) by -5 points per loss seems like a good way of getting round the “never-ending competition” problem. However, it brings new problems with it in that players who suffer a loss of less than 5 points could end up being penalised twice; once for the loss and again when their LP cap is reduced. This aside, it does seem to work well as it has reduced the bunching at the top (previously half of us were left with max LP) and pushes everyone who was previously on a comfortable 50 down towards the DZ a little since nobody won all of their games.

The final suggestion was that LP cap could be adjusted by -5 points for heavy losses only. The definition of a “heavy loss” is still up for debate, but initially it was suggested that a loss by 20 points or more seemed appropriate so this is what I’ve used. This wouldn’t actually make any difference to Paul or Decar as all of their losses were heavy ones, but it does mean that there’s no extra penalty for light losses which seems like a good thing.

I’ll leave my detailed analysis at that for now, but please post any questions or feedback you may have. I’m all ears. Not literally.

All being well, I’ll aim to post the Round 2 fixtures later today. These will including specific start players so we can ensure that each player gets to place the first tile in 2 of their 4 games. C:-)

:) :(y)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:26:24 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2015, 03:48:17 AM »
The first column seems to be working as expected.  When the weaker players leave, the remaining players who still currently have 50 health will start to drop as they battle themselves; as they won't be able to recoup health from the weaker players.   That's when LMS gets interesting  :(y) :(y)

Edit: Also: Dan +1 for your redonkulous analysis!

Edit:Edit Also:

This wouldn’t actually make any difference to Paul or Decar as all of their losses were heavy ones, but it does mean that there’s no extra penalty for light losses which seems like a good thing.

This isn't true - it prevents me from kicking everyone's asses in the next Round and gaining back all my health points.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:50:51 AM by Decar »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2015, 05:11:21 AM »
I was going to say something similar.  The problem with a one way move of life points is that I can never now get back to 50 therefore reducing my chance of an overall win. 

I think that the 3rd model is a good one as in my case it penalises me for a narrow loss and means I need to play harder and tougher next time.  But I need to be allowed to go back up if I end the next round with no losses ( no obligatory -5) and +10  PD minimum. 

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2015, 08:14:08 AM »
Right. Here it is...

Round 2: The Second Round (end date: 9th August 2015)

Game 1:
  • jungleboy vs. Decar (#4: - 118 - 102 to jungleboy)
  • Jéré vs. Rosco (#2: 114 - 105 to Rosco)
  • danisthirty vs. MrNumbers (#8: 109 - 92 to danisthirty)
  • jma03 vs Paul (#5: 123 - 84 to jma03)

Game 2:
  • danisthirty vs. jma03 (#1: 76 - 72 to danisthirty)
  • Paul vs. Jéré (#3: 101 - 88 to Jéré)
  • MrNumbers vs. jungleboy (#10: 130 - 120 to MrNumbers)
  • Rosco vs. Decar (#6: 115 - 86 to Rosco)

Game 3:
  • danisthirty vs. Jéré (#9: 94 - 78 to Jéré)
  • jma03 vs. jungleboy (#12: 99 - 84 to jma03)
  • Paul vs. Rosco (#14: 114 - 93 to Rosco)
  • MrNumbers vs. Decar (#11: 107 - 77 to Decar)

Game 4:
  • MrNumbers vs. Rosco (#15: 87 - 75 to Rosco)
  • Decar vs. danisthirty (#13: 92 - 80 to danisthirty)
  • Jéré vs. jma03 (#7: 107 - 104 to Jéré)
  • jungleboy vs. Paul (#16: 143 - 125 to jungleboy)
(in each game, the player whose name is underlined places the first tile)

You will probably have noticed that your opponent in Game 4 is someone you played in Round 1. This is to be expected as there are 8 of us, so only 7 different opponents. Since we each played 4 of these in Round 1, and will be playing the remaining 3 in Games 1 - 3 of this round, there's nobody else left to play in Game 4 unless we go back to a Round 1 opponent. Opponents were selected at this point by randomising the player list again (see below) and then refering back to everyone's favourite Heptagon in its starting position (also below).

• MrNumbers
  • Decar
  • jungleboy
  • danisthirty
  • Rosco
  • jma03
  • Jéré
  • Paul

Good luck everyone... and stay standing!  :(y)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:27:37 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
Against Jere!!

Great game

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
Paul 88 vs Jere 101
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
jungleboy vs Decar - 118 vs 102  - not enough cities for me, but at least I got the farm!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »
This game started off a bit weird for me as I accidentally placed a farmer instead of a monk on a cloister tile. But I closed a 14-point city soon after, then later on claimed a 20-point city that we'd both been fighting for, and this gave me a lead that Decar couldn't pull back despite winning the main farm with his last tile.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »
Paul 84 vs jma03 123

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
CC Ladder - Volunteers Needed

Started by Decar

31 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 03:45:31 PM
by danisthirty
question
1 Gold Meeple 1 Silber Meeple 1 Bronce Meeple

Started by nili3000042

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2022, 07:46:56 AM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: The Collector’s Case, Plushie Meeple, Jelly Meeple, etc.

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 06:07:08 AM
by asp204
xx
Crop circles: is itpossible to add more than one meeple close to another meeple?

Started by carca82

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2022, 12:56:35 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Large meeple vs. small meeple farmers

Started by rbanks88

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2021, 12:18:24 AM
by Meepledrone