Author Topic: Which fan expansions do you regularly play?  (Read 6342 times)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Which fan expansions do you regularly play?
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:15:14 PM »
Hi all,

When I started playing Carcassonne and then heard about Carcassonne central fan expansions, I went a little crazy and downloaded and printed most of them. I haven't even used 90% of them. What is your favourite fan expansion? Do you have any which you haven't published?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1137.0
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Which fan expansions do you regularly play?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:26:42 AM »
I haven't printed out and tested a single expansion yet. But I have dabbled with some digitally testing them when I code etc.
  Today I have no means of printing out any tiles, but rest assure, next year I will make this happen. Just lacking blank tiles.

As to what expansion I like in general, it's usually those that have extra tiles. I like less wooden figures, or extra rules that takes time to learn.
  One good example is the nature disaster idea, which could open up a whole lotta fun and crazyness. Sort of an amped version of the Dragon.  ^-^

The lake. Also one I like very much.
  Come to think of it, maybe I like fan expansions that have a visual concept art to  make beautiful scenery rather than playing the games.  :@
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Gerry

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »
The main roadblock with using fan expansions is getting the spare tiles to stick them on.  I prefer expansions that have new concepts for reusing the existing tile sets.  Problem here is coming up with game play ideas that are different and  interesting without getting too complex.

For me the official mini expansions are mostly too convoluted and more trouble than they are worth.  I was really disappointed with messengers because I could not even reuse the tiles as they have different backs. The ferries was about the best of them, different twist on the game play that was easily understood.

I keep meaning to print and mount the wells expansion but have never gotten around to it.

Of my own stuff the ones I have enjoyed playing are the reeve and quartermaster as it reuses all parts of the the Tower and one called Chatelaines which reuse the Princess tiles along with the trade goods from Traders.

Biggest problem is getting enough game play to ensure that the scoring is right,  too easy to under or over score the points, getting a balance that adds enough points incentive to use the expansion without swamping the other features of the game.

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »

King's Gate - a simple 2 tile expansion that connects two cities with a portal and makes them count as a single city.
Mills and Bakeries - a new scoring feature with an interesting gameplay mechanic that works well in a decently sized game.
Wells - similar to banners in cities, but applies towards roads.
Friar - similar to King and Baron, but for monasteries.

Gerry

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 01:22:21 PM »

Mills and Bakeries - a new scoring feature with an interesting gameplay mechanic that works well in a decently sized game.

I took a look at the Mills and Bakeries  - definitely a quality expansion, very nice artwork.  My only quibble would be with the 3 X 3 cross scoring layout as the 8 surrounding tiles used for priories would have been more consistent. 

The bread tokens are consistent with Trader good tokens which is nice. Consistency with the existing game framework works well for avoiding a steep learning curve. 

Of course it is difficult to be consistent and innovative at the same time.

It is a shame there is quality work like this lying overlooked in the download section.

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • I haven't profiled my update yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
The metropole. ITS not on The list but iTS about 10 years old. Instant war. Excellent
Dddddeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrppp

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
The metropole. ITS not on The list but iTS about 10 years old. Instant war. Excellent

link?

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »

I took a look at the Mills and Bakeries  - definitely a quality expansion, very nice artwork.  My only quibble would be with the 3 X 3 cross scoring layout as the 8 surrounding tiles used for priories would have been more consistent. 

More consistent? That would have made it just a boring ripoff of the monastery mechanic. What would be the point? Part of the appeal of the mills and bakeries expansion is its brand new scoring mechanic that still fits well with the normal gameplay of carcassonne.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:14:08 PM by frankdux »

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »
The main roadblock with using fan expansions is getting the spare tiles to stick them on.  I prefer expansions that have new concepts for reusing the existing tile sets.  Problem here is coming up with game play ideas that are different and  interesting without getting too complex.

For me the official mini expansions are mostly too convoluted and more trouble than they are worth.  I was really disappointed with messengers because I could not even reuse the tiles as they have different backs. The ferries was about the best of them, different twist on the game play that was easily understood.

I keep meaning to print and mount the wells expansion but have never gotten around to it.

Of my own stuff the ones I have enjoyed playing are the reeve and quartermaster as it reuses all parts of the the Tower and one called Chatelaines which reuse the Princess tiles along with the trade goods from Traders.

Biggest problem is getting enough game play to ensure that the scoring is right,  too easy to under or over score the points, getting a balance that adds enough points incentive to use the expansion without swamping the other features of the game.

What about ordering blank tiles from cundco? I get what you are saying but these tiles are very easy and cheap to pick up!
If only I had another Halfling.....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
sad
Do you own expansions you never play yet still rush out to buy new ones?

Started by Gerry

27 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
by henrysunset
xx
Need advice for printing fan made expansions, and which are the best?

Started by Poron90

14 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 12:36:40 PM
by lomdr
xx
Which games or expansions are you looking forward to in 2018?

Started by jungleboy

36 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 02:27:57 AM
by Decar
xx
What expansions do you own, but have yet to play with?

Started by CKorfmann

29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 02:27:05 AM
by thodekey
xx
In which piece of carcassonne have you spent more money?

Started by DrMeeple

35 Replies
Last post June 21, 2019, 12:43:54 PM
by Meepledrone