Author Topic: I Love the Landscape!  (Read 11195 times)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
Re: I Love the Landscape!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2023, 07:00:52 PM »

78-tile 2-player game with special meeples only.   >:D  I really liked the final landscape on this one!  Enjoy.

Offline Ker42

• Count
  • Merit: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2023, 04:17:58 PM »
Interesting assortment of tiles, Kothmann!  Did you use your tower and wind rose variants too?  I'm a big fan of Cosmic Orienteers.  Haven't tried Hatteras Captains yet though...

We played a game today using the large coaster tiles found here: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4065.0 along with large phantoms and mini meeples (given for filling a hole without an abbey).  It was a great game, despite playing on an uneven picnic table and the wind almost blowing away the tiles and moving the meeples!   
It's all fun and games...until the Mirror Zone comes out.

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2023, 05:54:51 PM »
Wow beautiful!  Thanks for sharing!  +1

Online SailingMeeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 7
  • All Meeples on Deck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2023, 11:27:59 AM »
Hi, I'm new here, but just wanted to share a version of one of the combinations I made of the base game of Carcassonne + the 'base' river and the river from expansion 6 + Hunters and Gatherers (new version). It wasn't a game, but I just wanted to create a nice landscape with both versions. I started with some tiles of the Carcassonne rivers and from there on drew from both games at random. The only rule I applied for myself was not to put the tiles in such a way that I knew there would be no possible tile to fill up a gap (e.g. there are no tiles in either game that have both forests and cities/roads). Once finished, I admit I made some changes to try and make it a nice rectangle with minimum empty spaces. So I ended up with just one empty space in one of the corners.

Enjoy!

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »
This is super cool.  +1 merit from me.

I doubt it would work as a competitive game, but maybe as a cooperative game?

Thanks for sharing.

Online SailingMeeple

• Freeman
  • All Meeples on Deck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2023, 03:29:22 AM »
This is super cool.  +1 merit from me.
Thanks! Uhm, perhaps a silly question, but what are these merits and how do they work?

I doubt it would work as a competitive game, but maybe as a cooperative game?
No, I think as a competitive game it would be way too easy to block projects from being finished. But as a cooperative game? That's an interesting idea. Not quite sure how that would work, since I've only ever played a cooperative game (not Carcassonne) once. Hmm.

I suppose the goal could be to use all the tiles without creating gaps (where the result may or may not be a rectangle but with a limit to how big the playing field is to prevent a large row of single tiles). With perhaps deducted points for gaps (defining gaps as open spaces with four - or maybe three - sides closed)?
It would require a bit of knowledge of what kind of tiles (don't) exist in the game - at least from one person if you're allowed to confer... Not sure if that would make it interesting enough to play.  :-\
I might just try that out a few times by myself to see what kind of results you'd get.

Maybe if there's a 'range ranking' it would keep it interesting to keep trying, even as a solo game. E.g.:
0-2 deducted points - Brilliant, you're a professional landscape artist!
3-6 deducted points - Experienced apprentice, keep learning, you'll get there.
7-10 deducted points - Novel apprentice, keep watching the professional and get some more experience.
Something like that (just a quick example).

No clue if that would be something anyone would be interested in though.  :yellow-meeple:

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2023, 04:06:40 AM »
Welcome to the site, SailingMeeple. Not a silly question, at all!

Merits are used if you would like to give someone a bit of special thanks for a helpful answer, intriguing idea, new expansion, or something like that. Everyone has their own basis for awarding them.

You'll see a "Give Merit" link/button under the name in the left hand of a post, clicking on it adds 1 to their merit total. It's just for fun, as I'm unaware of any benefits, but perhaps gives an indication of people who have been around for a while and doing all sorts of "positive" things on the site.
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2023, 05:47:12 AM »
I suppose the goal could be …
I think there are lots of interesting possibilities!  Should probably start a new thread in the “Expansion Workshop” forum with a title that indicates a combination of Carcassonne with H&G.  I have a couple thoughts I would share in such a thread…

Online SailingMeeple

• Freeman
  • All Meeples on Deck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2023, 02:25:18 AM »
You'll see a "Give Merit" link/button under the name in the left hand of a post, clicking on it adds 1 to their merit total. It's just for fun, as I'm unaware of any benefits, but perhaps gives an indication of people who have been around for a while and doing all sorts of "positive" things on the site.
Thanks, wolnic! That helps. I hadn't noticed the 'give merit' button yet. +1 merit for your help.  :)

I think there are lots of interesting possibilities!  Should probably start a new thread in the “Expansion Workshop” forum with a title that indicates a combination of Carcassonne with H&G.  I have a couple thoughts I would share in such a thread…
Oh, interesting! Thanks. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this topic. I'll go and start a new thread tomorrow (because I won't have much time today). Although I do have a question: shouldn't it go in the "Variant Workshop" instead of the "Expansion Workshop" since it would basically be a different way of playing with the tiles that are already there? (And +1 merit for all your help and suggestions so far as well!)

Online SailingMeeple

• Freeman
  • All Meeples on Deck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2023, 08:31:43 AM »
Another non-game-version which I did in the weekend. I've done the combination of Carcassonne and Hunters & Gatherers a few times, but today the scary part of my brain went: why don't you combine all the variants of Carcassonne you have? I told that part of my brain that that wasn't going to work, because they have such different colours and you know, H&G doesn't have cities or roads, Safari doesn't have cities or rivers, and... and...  ???
I'm blaming the fact that I was ill and may have been running a temperature when this idea was conceived, but since I wasn't exactly up to much else, I figured, why not?

So here's the result. I guess in Carcassonne-world there's a higher up mountain plateau where it's too cold for the snow to melt, then it drops down to a nice temperature where people take off their winter coats and defrost for a bit before they wander off into the desert. If they're smart, they stick to the river areas where at least there is shade and water, even if they still have to fight for their survival with all those sabre-toothed tigers running around...

So, there you have it: a combination of the Carcassonne, the Winter Edition, Safari, and Hunters & Gatherers.

P.S. It was only when I was putting it all away that I discovered I'd missed a tile from the Winter Edition!  :o :(

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2023, 05:20:36 AM »
I was sorting through my double-sided tiles to get a box ready for family games during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.  I removed an eclectic mix of about 50 tiles, which my wife and I then used for quick game at the pub between drinks and food.  I managed to sneak into her large farm and grab a win.   >:D  Mostly I was just happy that the double-sided game seems to work even if you don't curate the tile mix carefully.  Cheers!

Online Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2023, 04:00:33 AM »
Oooooooh!!!! That looks awesome!!! So you can choose the side to place... :o

It seems you had a great game. And she looks happy even if you won...  ;)

Drinks and food had to be nice too! ^-^
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2023, 11:46:44 AM »
Put together a nice mix of 96 double-sided tiles and did a little play-test for fit on my 11x11 mat.  I actually like the tendency to avoid unfinished cities with a somewhat tight fitting mat.  Final landscape looked nice, too!

If you look closely, you can see little flower icons on some of the tiles.  I decided to hand draw these flowers on one side of each tile, so you can play a single-sided game (flower side down!) if you want.  This is necessary for playing with inexperienced players, who are already overwhelmed with tile-placement.  Now this one set can be used for any group I'm likely to be with over the holiday!

Online SailingMeeple

• Freeman
  • All Meeples on Deck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2023, 02:41:14 AM »
Ooh, I like it. Smart to include a symbol to indicate which side is supposed to face downwards in case you're only allowing a double-sided tile to be played on one side. And for variety, you could always decide to have the flower-side up instead of down. Did you randomly choose which side you'd add a little flower or did you try and make some kind of distribution of different features?

May I ask why the meeples are numbered? And what kind of material are you using for your mat? I kind of like the idea of limiting the playing space.

(Sorry, many questions. ;D)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2023, 07:57:48 AM »
Ooh, I like it.
Thanks!

Did you randomly choose which side you'd add a little flower or did you try and make some kind of distribution of different features?
Haha, it’s a bit embarrassing how much time and effort I put into this.  Here is a spreadsheet and a couple of photos of the front and back sides:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LtpyUyRVIgKjEbS0VU3Y5bImy1RtbTi33X_qQUwvRqU/edit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1acXhAgE-hIkgsbd3k5H4P1aUz2mov4m2/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pL7pPmN48s_TDQ1L6IE9Wy9mAklSuQD8/view?usp=drivesdk

May I ask why the meeples are numbered?
Meeples are numbered so we can play our Spies & Assassins variant:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/144977/variant-36-spies-assassins-tileless-expansion

And what kind of material are you using for your mat? I kind of like the idea of limiting the playing space.
I made the mat using inexpensive tyvek sheets and sharpies.  See here:
https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5460.msg79375#msg79375

(Sorry, many questions. ;D)
No apologies!  The whole reason I post is in the hope that someone will enjoy a shared experience!  Have fun!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
CC-MasterMind-Landscape 3x3-tiles - riddle 2

Started by kettlefish

15 Replies
Last post July 31, 2017, 04:47:42 PM
by wolnic
xx
Builder's Double turn + Message #4 (Add a Landscape Tile) doubts

Started by ac1982

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2022, 01:10:04 AM