Carc Central Community > World Cup of Carcassonne Central

World Cup tie-breaker questions

(1/4) > >>

What If?:

--- Quote from: Jéré on November 05, 2016, 12:28:54 PM ---Congrats What If!

Lo siento jma03!

Now it's a "must win" situation for grabuska, otherwise she finishes 2nd which is not bad at all!

--- End quote ---
Why?
Is my score difference so much better? If so, I think the tournament rules are "wrong", in case a tie occurs, surely the game between the two should decide? Grabushka beat me, so...

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2960.0

Jéré:

--- Quote from: What If? on November 05, 2016, 01:26:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jéré on November 05, 2016, 12:28:54 PM ---Congrats What If!

Lo siento jma03!

Now it's a "must win" situation for grabuska, otherwise she finishes 2nd which is not bad at all!

--- End quote ---
Why?
Is my score difference so much better? If so, I think the tournament rules are "wrong", in case a tie occurs, surely the game between the two should decide? Grabushka beat me, so...

--- End quote ---

This situation happened to me 2 times (last 2 World Cups I think). I finished second after winning against the first, due to the total point difference. Yes, it doesn't sound quite right but that's the way it has been for the last 3 years. Maybe in the future we could use a different tie-breaking method (perhaps like the World Championship in Essen) but for the current tournament it is not going to change.

jungleboy:

--- Quote from: What If? on November 05, 2016, 01:26:28 PM ---Is my score difference so much better? If so, I think the tournament rules are "wrong", in case a tie occurs, surely the game between the two should decide? Grabushka beat me, so...

--- End quote ---

I also thought the first tiebreaker in a 2-person tie was head-to-head result between those two players. Danisthirty?

MrNumbers:

--- Quote from: jungleboy on November 06, 2016, 03:02:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: What If? on November 05, 2016, 01:26:28 PM ---Is my score difference so much better? If so, I think the tournament rules are "wrong", in case a tie occurs, surely the game between the two should decide? Grabushka beat me, so...

--- End quote ---

I also thought the first tiebreaker in a 2-person tie was head-to-head result between those two players. Danisthirty?

--- End quote ---
I was the one who offered this tie-breaking system. I think that PD can show player's skill more than just one game's result. Carcassonne is a game where PD is unlikely to be the same to two or more players (unlike from football or hockey), so IMO PD is a better tie-breaker.

P.S. This tie-breaking system forces players to fight till the end! For example, if tie-breaker would be only head-to-head game, Grabushka wouldn't be interested to win or loose her last game. But now to top the group she is forced to win (or at least tie the game), which makes the game more interesting to play.

danisthirty:

--- Quote from: MrNumbers on November 06, 2016, 11:20:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: jungleboy on November 06, 2016, 03:02:18 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I was the one who offered this tie-breaking system. I think that PD can show player's skill more than just one game's result. Carcassonne is a game where PD is unlikely to be the same to two or more players (unlike from football or hockey), so IMO PD is a better tie-breaker.

--- End quote ---

What he said! :(y)

When you take part in a league competition such as this, your performance is rated based on how you've performed overall which is the cumulative effect of the games you've played and no single game should be any more or less significant than any other. If you have a higher PD than someone else who has won the same number of games as you it is because you generally won by more points or lost by less points than they did overall, and this is what we're attempting to measure. Elo rankings are linked more directly to specific games but we're not trying to replicate that here.

It isn't especially uncommon for 3 players to be tied where A has beaten B, B has beaten C and C has beaten A. Who goes top then? C won't let A go on top because it should be him. But B won't let C go on top because it should be him. And A won't let B go on top for the same reason. So there needs to be something else, otherwise we have a 3-way stalemate. I know this isn't the same as a 2-way tie but it gets needlessly complicated when you start trying to resolve ties in different ways depending on how many people are involved. C:-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version