Carc Central Community > Official Rules

The Phantom and Wheel of Fortune

(1/3) > >>

MrNumbers:
First of all, I am glad that forums are up again. Thanks, Gantry and Scott, for that! :D

I have some questions regarding the latest purchased expansion "The Phantom":
When we played it with WoF, question arose about does it permitted to place a phantom to a crown of WoF, even if a player deployed a follower on a placed tile in his turn? We played as he does, but now I started to doubt that. From one side rules say "After placing a tile, the player may deploy the phantom to it as a second follower (on a second feature)". So, crowns aren't located at the placed tile. But WoF rules say "If a player has not placed a follower on a land tile, he or she may place one follower on any free crown space on the Wheel of Fortune." Phantom is a leader in the count of exceptions and it's rules break many other normal rules, maybe here is the similar case?
And the second question: can I place a Phantom on top of a tower to close it? If yes, can it be done only on a tile just being placed? (e.g. place a tile with a tower foundation, place a tower piece (capture follower), and close tower with a phantom).

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=286.0

Carcking:
I think when exercising the Phantom's power (deploying him as a second follower) you follow the rule that he must be deployed to a feature on the just placed tile. Then you get to the defition of a "feature":
"A "feature" is an aspect of a tile (with or without a figure on the aspect) that triggers an action or function."

The WoF could not be considered a feature as it has no presence on the tile. The tower would be considered a feature because it is on the tile and has a function.

When not exercising the Phantom's power he may be deployed anywhere that a regular follower may deployed.

BT:
I agree with Carcking.

We always play the phantom on the tile placed only.

obervet:
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one, because I'm not convinced that it has a cut-and-dried answer. (Okay, no more cliches.  ;) ) When reading the rules themselves, I agree with the above responses, that the only mentions are of placement to the tile itself. However, check out footnote 363 of Standard CAR 6.3 (p. 119):

--- Quote ---You have a second separate placement phase, independent from the first placement phase, immediately after the first placement phase. You can do whatever you can do with a follower. You can choose a different target/action, of course.
--- End quote ---

The bolding is my addition here, but this implies to me that the placement of the Phantom really isn't restricted to the tile that was just played. Rather, it seems that the Phantom is a full follower, with all of the rights, privileges, and responsibilities that that entails. Thus, I would argue that you CAN put a Phantom on a tower or on the WoF.

Carcking:

--- Quote from: obervet on June 28, 2013, 09:19:49 AM ---...check out footnote 363 of Standard CAR 6.3 (p. 119):

--- Quote ---You have a second separate placement phase, independent from the first placement phase, immediately after the first placement phase. You can do whatever you can do with a follower. You can choose a different target/action, of course.
--- End quote ---

...Rather, it seems that the Phantom is a full follower, with all of the rights, privileges, and responsibilities that that entails. Thus, I would argue that you CAN put a Phantom on a tower or on the WoF.

--- End quote ---

Hmm...good food for thought. Here's my take. Tower - yes, WoF - no. That foot note does add clarity but does not necessarily override the original rules of the Phantom...that he is played as a second follower on a second "feature" on the tile. The fact that he has the characteristics of a normal follower implies he may be placed on a tower for example, or be used as a flier, or be used as a farmer, and so on. It distinguishes him from other atypical followers such as the wagon, mayor, etc. which have limited abilities.

But I agree that if you use the phantom as your first wood move (without exercising the phantom power) then you can use him as you could a regular follower.

I think it comes to whether we want to take liberties or get a clarification on the actual Phantom rules.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version