Author Topic: Great Game with Family on playingcards.io  (Read 1355 times)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
Great Game with Family on playingcards.io
« on: April 23, 2022, 10:27:19 AM »
First the online venue: I know a lot of people play at various sites that "know the rules" of Carcassonne, but we prefer to use playingcards.io.  This is an interesting free site that lets you host a great variety of games and you can totally customize the setup!  So, I made a "deck of cards" that is Carcassonne tiles, and then added a "board" that is just an 11x11 grid and some pawns to represent meeples.  The site knows nothing about the rules of the game and this is perfect for us, because we play house rules!  You also need your own chat or video: we use Zoom.

You can check out the setup we played today: https://playingcards.io/ccasmg.

That link will expire if no one uses it for 30 days, in which case you can use the toolbox menu on the site to import this configuration file.  It includes all of the tiles from the base game, I&C, T&B, K&S, plus a couple others.  You can use the toolbox to set how many of each type of tile you want in the game.  It is really quite nice!  The interface has been improved so you could replace the pawns with images of meeples, and make other things fancier, but we just want the great gameplay.

Now the game: Had a great game with my family today: kids joined from Virginia and Houston.  My wife prefers a small game, so we used a mix of 60, with 5 regular meeples and 1 Large meeple per player.

House rules: proportional scoring for farms and the Cathedral city, plus one bridge and one gate/wall.

Here's the end of the game, before final scoring.  Yellow ended up winning by just 2 over Black and 4 over Red, with Blue a not too distant last place.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5903.0

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
Re: Great Game with Family on playingcards.io
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 11:14:01 AM »
Great stuff!  :(y)
Perfect solution for all your variants to be playable online ;D

Have you checked VASSAL program with the Carcassonne module https://vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Carcassonne ? You may need to add some extra bits and pieces like walls, which could be more difficult than on playingcards.io, and also using the program at the beginning may be hard as it is not so intuitive, but it can offer loads of stuff as this module have a lot of fan expansions and most of official ones ready to use. I've started my Carcassonne journey with it few year ago :)

Thanks for sharing @kothmann! +1
Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »
This sound amazing for testing carcassonne ideas with play with other players.
Thanks for sharing this! +1 merit
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 02:23:35 AM »
It looks very cool indeed... And very flexible.

It is literally a shared digital table. You place the tiles, you do the scoring manually... Nice!

+1 merit from me.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 09:24:55 AM »
Second annual birthday game on Zoom / playingcards.io.  Players in same locations (Philly, Richmond, Houston).  Slightly bigger game (Base + Exp#1) and slightly different mix of house rules.  >:D

Here is the gameroom: https://playingcards.io/4u2pb3. As always, that link will expire if no one uses it for 30 days, in which case you can use the toolbox menu on the site to import this configuration file

Here's the end of the game, before final scoring.  Lots of roads came out at the start, and Blue savagely stole the big road with a Large meeple, then added an Inn for a huge score.  Blue also dominated cloisters, but had no farms, allowing Black to squeak out a narrow and exciting win when Yellow failed to join the farms, bottom center.  Final scores: Black 115, Blue 112, Yellow 111, Red 97.

:D

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 02:15:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing this with the community @kothmann !! Great find!
You are really the king of digging things up ...  ;)

+1 merit

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Family Game in Oban!

Started by kothmann

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2022, 08:39:22 AM
by kothmann
xx
Father's Day (US) Game with Family

Started by kothmann

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2022, 03:02:27 PM
by Snearone
xx
New & Old Games on a Family Trip to Hong Kong & Taiwan

Started by kothmann

3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2024, 07:56:37 AM
by Decar
question
The Great Game for War Child, London - Carcassonne Volunteers Wanted!

Started by tristan.gaffney

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 12:13:34 PM
by Curt194
xx
Great game today

Started by Rosco

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2014, 11:35:59 PM
by danisthirty