Author Topic: A Very Nice 177-Tile Mix  (Read 890 times)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
A Very Nice 177-Tile Mix
« on: April 02, 2022, 07:39:48 AM »

(High-Resolution Version)

I’ve been playing with this mix of tiles and I think it gives a very balanced game.  I thought it might be fun just to see the tiles sorted by edge combinations, so here it is.  The 176 tiles + start tile is in line with @Christopher’s 2016 definition of a “normal large game”.  We often play with a timer, taking 2 more turns when time is up, rather than going through the whole tower (which these tiles nicely fill).  Because of the large number of tiles and inclusion of at least 2 of all edge types, it is a bit as if the tiles are drawn from an infinite supply with some statistical distribution, so counting is pretty unimportant, which is good for our group.  Anyway, here is the list of tiles:
  • Wheel of Fortune Base (72)
  • Exp#1 I&C (18)
  • Exp#2 T&B (24)
  • Exp#3 P&D (30)
  • Flying Machines (8 )
  • Hills (9)
  • Wind Roses (5+1 Start Tile)
  • King & Scout (5)
  • Belagerer (5)

I originally had Das Fest (10) and Games Quarterly (10) in place of Flying Machines and Hills, bringing the total to 179.  But if you look at the tile mix, DF & GQ are both VERY heavy on roads ending in cities and distinct edge combinations (for example, those two include 3 additional CRCR tiles).  Flying Machines & Hills are really great for restoring the balance, so DF & GQ went into my “small game” box with the base game and some other minis.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5858.0

ac1982

Re: A Very Nice 177-Tile Mix
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 08:58:05 AM »
I thought it might be fun just to see the tiles sorted by edge combinations, so here it is. 
It absolutely is!! A wonderful overview. Also, having Hills included is always good to prevent counting at all... I remember one game, we all were waiting for the second Cathedral to show up, to ruin each other's huge city... but it never showed up because it had already become a hill  :))

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Re: A Very Nice 177-Tile Mix
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 12:09:03 PM »
We have a definite problem counting our tiles!  We have 12 Halfling 1 tiles and 12 Halfling 2 tiles.  Does that count and 12 tiles or 24 tiles? And, if I separate them by edges, do I need separate columns for the diagonal edges?

Also, you didn’t mention your Old City expansion.  I know that you created gates and walls for that expansion, did you also create and new tiles?

I still stand by original statement, every Carcassonne game box should have a warning label: “The contents of this box is highly addictive!?
Totally addicted to this game

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Nice joke

Started by Dragonlord

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2017, 03:40:28 PM
by danisthirty
clip
Did you get nice score as I do?

Started by Bumsakalaka

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2020, 01:32:14 AM