Author Topic: 2016 World Cup - Group D  (Read 18475 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
2016 World Cup - Group D
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
Welcome to the group stage of the 2016 World Cup of Carcassonne Central! This thread is primarily for members of Group D to arrange matches between themselves and post scores, screenshots and the obligatory smack-talk as the group progresses. The top 2 players from this group once everyone in the group has played all 5 of their matches will advance through to the knockout stage.

Here is a list of the group members (including location):

If you haven’t read them already, please ensure that you are familiar with the tournament rules/ general information and our Code of Conduct. You may also find the JCloisterZone FAQ interesting/ useful if you have any unanswered questions about how JCloisterZone works (or you can just email/ PM me).

Finally, some helpful reminders:

Links
JCloisterZone 3.4.2 can be downloaded here: http://jcloisterzone.com/builds/JCloisterZone-3.4.2.zip.
Chat room: http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html.

Group stage expansions
All games at the group stage should include the following expansions:
  • Inns & Cathedrals
  • Traders & Builders
  • The River (1)
  • The Phantom
(these can be selected on the pre-game screen where you choose a colour and enter your name)

Go get em! :) :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2924.0
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:24:12 AM by danisthirty »

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • I enjoy a good game o' Carc!
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 World Cup - Group D
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 03:03:04 AM »
Hi group D! Seems like I'm the only one on this continent, so I was wondering what time everyone else was looking to play. I can be somewhat flexible, and could probably do some games in the morning (my time) if needed. I'm on the east coast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:07:31 AM »
Hi CarcinFool, welcome back! I'm looking forward to our game...

Rosco, khalid and I are all in the UK so 5 hours ahead of you which means a weekday evening game isn't out of the question if you're able to start at 6pm your time? Possibly slightly later for khalid and I as we seem.to be up late in the chat room most nights! Failing that I'm sure we can find a weekend although mine are likely going to be booked for the next few weeks...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:51 PM »
Hounk and I played our game this evening:

As we were placing the river it looped round with a non-immediate u-turn and proceeded to go backwards. With the first tile of the game after the river had been placed, Hounk trapped one of my meeples on a city cap needing a cfrf to complete it. :( Fortunately I'd seen this coming, and while I didn't have the opportunity to stop it, I did at least avoid claiming the cloister on the river which would have meant another trapped meeple from the outset!

The game was unremarkable at first as we both stuck to our own features and didn't attempt to share or steal very much. Hounk's builder got stuck in a small city adjacent to my north-west cloister for the early part of the game but he soon managed to get it back after putting a ccff splitter to good use in completing his city without joining it to the adjacent city I'd painstakingly killed.

Hounk made the first move on the main farm and it was a bold one with his mega-meeple! I didn't want to commit my mega-meeple so early on but knew the farm would be a game-changer so kept this in mind. At about the midway point I decided to start fighting back for the farm and was soon winning it with one normal meeple and my mega-meeple, who were then joined by yet another meeple for good measure. Hounk made several attempts to win it back but his first was a risky one that got cut out where I forced a t-junction on the spot where he'd hoped for a corner. The other was much safer and required only an frxx tile to join on. However, I drew an frcc tile from T & B where the city extends to the corner of the tile. This came at exactly the right time for me to ensure he was cut out here as well (one tile diagonally north-west of my pig). O:-)

The biggest blow for me came when Hounk completed his first cathedral city. I dropped the cathedral on his city hoping to make it uncompleteable but he had a good run of tiles and was able to get it very close to finished. I seized the chance to try and share it with him but he cut me out and then had a short wait for the required cccr to complete it for 36 points and 3 trade tokens which put our scores about level again after I'd started to build a reasonable lead.

As the game drew to a close, Hounk was ahead of me but there was no way he could win a share in the main farm which had grown to include 12 cities for 48 points (with pig :@). Still, as the number of tiles remaining entered single-digits we were both still scrapping to generate as many points as possible for ourselves. Hounk had a slime chance of completing his second cathedral city but this wasn't to be and the final result was a 48-point win for me. :(y)

Thanks for the game Hounk, and good luck with the rest of your tournament. :)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:52:57 PM by Decar »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 08:35:20 PM »
Anybody else playing any games?

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 08:42:16 PM »
I will as soon as my Internet is connected.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 06:25:31 PM »
I know this isn't much notice, but I could start a game in the next 10-15 mins or so (it's 2:30 PM in the US/East Coast).

Owen

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 03:06:09 PM »
 :red-meeple: versus  :black1-meeple:
first game of the competition and it was a good win for me!

I waslucky enough to draw the right tile earlyon to score a large cathedral city giving me a strong 66 point lead staight away (88-22).  Aftyer that Hounk made a valiant attempt to fight back but fortunately for me the game was mine.

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 06:14:42 AM »
Hi folks.  I'm free tonight 6:00pm - 7:30pm UK time if anyone else is free for a group stage match.

kq  :red-meeple:

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
Hi khalidqasrawi, I'm in chat room now, in case you have time. Can you host? Or somebody else?

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »
Khalidqasrawi, I now noticed, that you posted that yesterday, thought before it was today. So anybody else available? I will stay in chat for a while, and MrNumbers offered to host a game.

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
I'm online now and available to play a group match until 7:30pm UK time.

kq  :red-meeple:

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
khalidqasrawi -- I'll hop on in about 10 mins if you can still play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 08:44:05 AM »
I will be available for matches with either or both of you, too. Will go into chat. Can somebody host?

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »
 :red-meeple: khalidqasrawi 246 : :blue-meeple: CarcinFool 168

CarcinFool stole an early lead and was a tricky opponent.  My strategy of loading the tiles with meeples was used by CarcinFool to trap 4 of my men in the end.  What worked to my advantage was careful finishing of cities with trade goods winning all the categories and, once the advantage was on my side, use of the builder to hold the advantage.  I also got lucky stealing a farm with my double man!  The score did not represent the game play.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2016 World Cup - Group A

Started by danisthirty

62 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 02:08:14 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
2016 World Cup - Group B

Started by danisthirty

76 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 02:33:40 AM