Author Topic: Other tile laying games thread.  (Read 68458 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. Look at this tile from Monastery - look familiar?

I'm quite intrigued by this game. It looks complicated but the theme suits me perfectly.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. Look at this tile from Monastery - look familiar?

I'm quite intrigued by this game. It looks complicated but the theme suits me perfectly.

I agree. Been hunting this game ever since I started this thread.  :(y)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 03:23:23 PM »
Not sure, if this is what Paul is looking for, because it is abstract and plastic tiles, but I think Ingenious (with double hexes) would also fit into the thread.

Another possible title (with uncat., different shaped tiles), but this one I've never played: Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2016, 03:30:23 PM »
Not sure, if this is what Paul is looking for, because it is abstract and plastic tiles, but I think Ingenious (with double hexes) would also fit into the thread.

Another possible title (with uncat., different shaped tiles), but this one I've never played: Castles of Mad King Ludwig

I'll look in to these as well. Falling behind a bit on the suggestions, but will catch up soon!  :(y)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 02:55:08 AM »
Run over a review of a tile laying war game. Normally I'm not really digging into war themed games, but this one might be something for me, with it's scifi theme (nothing would turn me more down, then "having fun" for example in WW2 or Vietnam) and semi-abstract approach:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »
Voluspa?

I just clicked the link and the first image I saw apart from the cover art was this amazing one. But apparently (from looking at the other pictures) the game doesn't actually develop this way :(

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 02:05:27 PM »
Wow, that's a crazy photo. Made me wonder about the possibility of a tile-laying game where the tiles can overlap. There could be areas on each tile that would have to match up with the underside of the tile placed on top, but the tiles could be printed on both sides to make it easier to find matches. No idea how (or if) it would work, but if something similar already exists I'd love to try it!

As for Volupsa, I'd never heard of it but someone had shared a post on Facebook so I shared it too and tagged Rosco, jungleboy and quevy. The re-posted thread (where I first saw it) has loads of comments from people talking about all kinds of other games, most of which I've never heard of and many of which aren't on this list. But for some reason I couldn't share his post, only the original. Facebook confuses me. :o

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
Wow, that's a crazy photo. Made me wonder about the possibility of a tile-laying game where the tiles can overlap. There could be areas on each tile that would have to match up with the underside of the tile placed on top, but the tiles could be printed on both sides to make it easier to find matches. No idea how (or if) it would work, but if something similar already exists I'd love to try it!

As for Volupsa, I'd never heard of it but someone had shared a post on Facebook so I shared it too and tagged Rosco, jungleboy and quevy. The re-posted thread (where I first saw it) has loads of comments from people talking about all kinds of other games, most of which I've never heard of and many of which aren't on this list. But for some reason I couldn't share his post, only the original. Facebook confuses me. :o

Cacao has an overlap mechanism to it, but it does not have the issue Carcassonne has with different tile sides.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 11:16:55 PM »

Völuspá is a tile laying game similar to Qwirkle. kYou have to lay the tiles horizontally or vertically (the photo is more fan art). You get points, if you lay the tile with the highest number. Certain (or all?) tiles (the gods) have special abilities so you get more ore less points etc.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2016, 05:19:21 AM »
I just watched the Radho Runthrough on Escape: The Curse of the Temple. I think it looks amazing. It's a real-time cooperative game where players try to escape from an Aztec temple that gets built through tile-laying. There are plenty of expansions and a Big Box.

Here is the BGG link. Has anyone played it?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2016, 05:57:45 AM »
Yes! I played this for the first time at work and bought it the same week. Fantastic game. Very original and I love that everyone plays at once because it's so chaotic. The dice can be quite noisy because you roll them a lot, and there's usually a lot of shouting etc. Great game. One of my favourites.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2016, 06:02:36 AM »
Yes! I played this for the first time at work and bought it the same week. Fantastic game. Very original and I love that everyone plays at once because it's so chaotic. The dice can be quite noisy because you roll them a lot, and there's usually a lot of shouting etc. Great game. One of my favourites.

:(y)

Excellent! I'm glad you 'confirmed' that it's as great as I think it would be. Watching the review, it struck me as something that would be loads of fun and something that is completely different from any other game I've seen. Plus I love the theme and design/components, so I was sold from the first minute.

Do you have any of the expansions?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2016, 06:07:09 AM »
I wouldn't say the artwork is anything to write home about but it's good quality. The box I got came with two expansions but I've forgotten what they're called and I've never actually played them as the base game is too awesome by itself. The background music really adds to the atmosphere and the panic of rolling 5 pesky death masks at once!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2016, 06:29:15 AM »
I wouldn't say the artwork is anything to write home about but it's good quality.

The tiles look pretty great to me. Here's one pic from BGG.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Other games with wooden pieces thread

Started by jungleboy

34 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 05:30:36 AM
by Hounk
xx
Favorite Tile-Laying Games